They said the game was 3.5 times the size of rdr landwise, so i dont think based on the shots there is a whole lot of extra space that hasnt been accounted for.

Los santos looks like the entire liberty city...

Los Santos has got to be smaller than Liberty City though, it would make sense.

They said the game was 3.5 times the size of rdr landwise, so i dont think based on the shots there is a whole lot of extra space that hasnt been accounted for.

Why?

LA Metro Area: 33,954 sq mi

NYC Metro Area: 11,842 sq mi

I wonder which sense it would make compared to their real-life counterparts.

or are we talking inhabitants? NYC Metro leads over LA Metro by about 6million, but that has nothing to do with size.

I'm not trying to say San Fierro or Las Venturas is in the game, don't get me mixed up with those guys, but I still have my reservations about another small town, somewhere snow-covered, somewhere high up in the mountains where players can ski...

DumbandDumberAspenWithCaption.jpg

An Aspen like Ski-Resort town sounds good to me.

Aspen2.jpg

Are there any resorts like this in California?

The northern SF bay area, most people go to the Sierras, which is mainly Nevada.

Lots of resorts there.

In the south most LA people go to Mammoth for skiing and boarding.

• Like 1

It would be awesome to put caves around the world in the game, both above & under water.

Full of bats and hide-outs of criminals, o yeah

I forgot where I read it, but I know I read one of those articles on the 2nd describe Los Santos West on the map and Blaine county was to the extreme East (or maybe it was the other way around)...so what's going to be North and South? Has anyone else noticed that the only few photos we've gotten of the wine country was the viewfinders released with the pre-order of the game as a Target exclusive? This one:

post-14257-0-31730500-1367892443_thumb.j

This image doesn't have a Blaine County feel to it...or maybe I should get a Blaine County feel from it because of how rural it is. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if Blaine County occupies one extreme of the map and Los Santos represents the other, then what lies North? or South? Does anybody else get a feeling that Rockstar still has one or two very BIG cards they're holding close to their chest? Waiting to play their 'ace card', so to speak, closer to the game's release date? Like another large area of the map they're not talking about?

I'm not trying to say San Fierro or Las Venturas is in the game, don't get me mixed up with those guys, but I still have my reservations about another small town, somewhere snow-covered, somewhere high up in the mountains where players can ski...

post-14257-0-50001800-1367893655_thumb.j

...and damnit did I really want a Mexico and a Mexican border...

Well I'll be a pig fucked by a lambchop. I actually had a dream about this post (and GTAV) and it was epic.

Thankyou for enticing such a dream.

Roughly about-

RDR- 28 square miles

Gta SA- 13.9 square miles

Gta IV- 12 square miles

Hold up, This was discussed earlier and it was decided that RDR is actually smaller then SA. I can't find the post.

The northern SF bay area, most people go to the Sierras, which is mainly Nevada.

Lots of resorts there.

In the south most LA people go to Mammoth for skiing and boarding.

There are spots in So-Cal as well. Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead areas in the San Bernardino Mountains for example. May not be Aspen, but they are nice.

I will say this about the maps, I wonder if each of these (GTA IV, RDR, GTA:SA, and GTA V) are their own archipelagos in the same universe. This is some insane island chain in the middle of the ocean. It is madness I tell you! I understand why they do it for development reasons, it make you think. I know this didn't help the map question, but it has been eating at me for a while now.

Roughly about-

RDR- 28 square miles

Gta IV- 12 square miles

28+12+13.9=53.9 square miles roughly.

and that is probably how big it is cause i did the math.

GTA V- 53.9 square miles?. ^_^

Roughly about-

RDR- 28 square miles

Gta IV- 12 square miles

28+12+13.9=53.9 square miles roughly.

and that is probably how big it is cause i did the math.

GTA V- 53.9 square miles?. ^_^

It's actually gonna be a bit more than that.. "Sure, the land mass in GTA V is three-and-a-half times the size of Red Dead Redemption alone. In fact, it’s bigger than Red Dead Redemption, GTA IV and GTA: San Andreas combined." - IGN

I think i read somewhere that JC2 is 400sq miles. GTAV is 20-30sq miles... JC2's map was so repetitive and lifeless though, you wont get that in GTA.

That sounds about right. It is not the size that matters but what you do with it.

Do we have a consensus on the size of RDR, because earlier in this topic it seemed decided that it was actually only 6 sq miles. so what is it?

I doubt it. R* I think has went on record saying that LS will make up half the map. And I think RDR is somewhere around twice the size of GTA IV, making V around 7 times the size of IV. I would say that Los Santos will be about twice the size of Liberty City, if not bigger.

I think i read somewhere that JC2 is 400sq miles. GTAV is 20-30sq miles... JC2's map was so repetitive and lifeless though, you wont get that in GTA.

That sounds about right. It is not the size that matters but what you do with it.

That's what she said

• Like 2

In the same article that said V was 3.5x the size of RDR, didn't it also say that the landmass was 42mi^2 and the full map including underwater areas was about 60mi^2?

1 sec going to go find that quote.

EDIT: Never mind I was wrong. I must have read that in a response to that article.

Edited by Googlefluff

A few things...

These appear to be the same large mountain in the backgrounds (right in first pic, left in second pic):

official-screenshot-trevor-makes-a-floater.jpgofficial-screenshot-calm-waters-near-the-lighthouse.jpg

My original thought was to link that second pic with the lighthouse to this new pic with the airplane:

official-screenshot-calm-waters-near-the-lighthouse.jpgofficial-screenshot-airplane-follows-a-coastal-chase.jpg

Hard to see, but there are two distinct peaks above the airplane. The lower/darker one to the left may be the right-hand peak of the lighthouse pic. On top of that, the taller peak in the airplane pic could be the farthest (red) peak in this pic from the other topic:

post-3-0-94653700-1367977925_thumb.png

In the pic with Trevor you can see a possible farm. There's also the farm in the new pic of the airplane. Assuming the first pic is the northern/eastern edge of lake, that puts the lighthouse on the east coast of the map along with the rural farms in the northeast corner. That would likely include the farm from the Grapeseed viewfinder image which was discussed somewhere in this topic already.

• Like 2