Trailer Protagonist - Voice Actor

gta-5-trailer-1-looking-out-at-los-santos.jpg

Now that we've seen the video, if we go on past Grand Theft Auto first trailers we've got the voice of our main character. We've got no idea who he is and the trailer doesn't make it 100% clear who in the video is the one talking. Speculation says it's either the elder man looking over the city (and possibly leading the Rodeo Drive robbery) or the black guy seen a few times throughout the trailer.

Based on the storyline we can assume it is probably the elder man (talks of family and retiring).

It seems pretty much confirmed that it's Ned Lukes now. Not a hugely famous actor but an episode of Law and Order SVU and a couple of other bits. The character looks like him down to the mole on his left cheek and it sounds like him aswell.

gta-5-main-character-possibly-ned-luke.jpg

One of his actor buddies posting on twitter about him being in the latest GTA.

jimmy-taekana-twitter.png

jimmy-taenaka-igta5-tweet.png

And Ned Lukes cousin:

rebecca-halls-twitter.png

He has deleted his twitter account now to stop the news getting out, but it's a bit too late.

(Compiling of all the latest info thanks to Psy.)

Rockstar on Celebrity Voice Actors -

I remember playing Vice City and thinking [Ray Liotta's] performance was fantastic' date=' but something in the months afterwards when I was playing it was conflicting in my brain: was I playing Tommy Vercetti or was I playing Ray Liotta?...it really sort of caught me off guard, and it kept happening to me. To some extent it left me a bit confused, and it certainly made us resolve for future iterations to dial down the use of famous actors. So if you look at San Andreas, there weren’t as many in that game.[/quote'] - Sam Houser, Rockstar Games

Potential suggestions -

• Clifton Collins Jr
  • Ray Liotta
  • Ned Luke

Ned Lukes - Demo Reel

http://www.imdb.com/video/demo_reel/vi174889497/

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0902623/ (IMDB page)

Clifton Collins Jr Talking

Ray Liotta Talking

I don't know how much we can trust IGN but they've claimed to have contact Ray Liotta's agent regarding the video.

Ray Liotta's voice is not in the trailer. IGN reached out to Liotta's representatives, and they confirmed that the actor's golden pipes aren't in the trailer.
- IGN - http://au.xbox360.ig.../1211385p1.html
The Grand Theft Auto III timeline is not necessarily over - but it is a different world to Grand Theft Auto IV - only the branding and certain radio personalities exist across both worlds. The reason for this was that we felt Grand Theft Auto IV was a high-definition experience and required different kinds of characters. That - and the fact that most people from the previous world are dead.
- Rockstar Games - http://www.rockstarg...n-and-chin.html

Anyone have any ideas on who this is?

What do you think? Who could it be? Post suggestions and discussions below.

It is pretty similar, actually. I've never seen an interview with him before, never heard him speak out of character. I think it'll end up being some guy we've never even heard of, though. R* realized they can make a better game if they don't spend a fortune on celebrity voices.

• Like 2

It is pretty similar, actually. I've never seen an interview with him before, never heard him speak out of character. I think it'll end up being some guy we've never even heard of, though. R* realized they can make a better game if they don't spend a fortune on celebrity voices.

Agreed. Though I love Clifton Collins Jr. And a hispanic protagonist would be a first.

Granted, it wouldn't cost much to hire Clifton Collins Jr. I could probably hire him to do something for less than R*'s standard voice actor payment (10 grand, I think).

It would be a good way to have a hispanic character (but not too stereotypically hispanic).

However I do beleive from the story, he will be voicing the big guy looking out over the balcony. He's the only one featured in the video who looks like he has a family and would be looking to retirement.

To me it kind of sounds like him. If Ray were to lower his voice a little, and only JUST A LITTLE . . . I think we could hear a match. Two videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wycNPidmplo

If you were to take Tommy Vercetti from vice City, with the block like graphics and then put it into the amazing graphics we have now and add a little bit of age, wouldn't you agree that he looks just like the man at the 0:40 mark of the trailer?

Just a thought . . .

Guest Marney1

The voice over instantly made me and Mrs Marney think Tommy Vercetti. It does sound like a slightly aged Tommy.

The voice over instantly made me and Mrs Marney think Tommy Vercetti. It does sound like a slightly aged Tommy.

I could definitely see this as a possibiltiy . . . To be honest I'd love it if it was him. I think Vice City was one of my favorites of the series . . . played it quite a lot back in the day.

Guest Marney1

We're starting to get threads discussing more or less the same things, my head is fucked up with it, dunno which thread I'm in half the time.

Ray said he wouldn't work with R* again. Apparently, after he found out how many copies of Vice City were sold, he suddenly wasn't happy with getting paid the same as all the other voice actors. Personally, I think it'd be a waste to give him the kind of money he would want. The money's better spent on the game itself.

Not that I wouldn't like to have Ray's voice back in GTA, just letting you know what happened.

Guest Marney1

Dan Houser said himself that when playing Vice City he couldn't get into believing the protagonist as Tommy Vercetti, he felt he was playing as Ray Liotta instead. Same with me really but that's partly the reason he said he went off the idea of using famous actors again - although he obviously didn't see a problem with using a thousand of them in San Andreas. Alright, CJ was an unknown (to me anyway) but would Rockstar really remake San Andreas, which is how it's looking, without the inclusion of some famous actors?

I really think there's a real possibility Ray Liotta is going to return along with a host of other A list actors. One thing that leaves me with a little bit of doubt though is the voiceover tells us he's moved to 'L.A.' for the good weather - Vice City weather seemed good to me.

Florida's weather is shit. Humid and miserable. LA is hot, but dry, not humid. Plus, I'll take an earthquake over a hurricane any day, as long as it's not some ridiculous city-demolishing shit.

Guest Marney1

Florida's weather is shit. Humid and miserable. LA is hot, but dry, not humid. Plus, I'll take an earthquake over a hurricane any day.

So you're saying it's quite plausible that someone could move out to L.A. because they don't like the Florida weather?

I'll risk going on marneys shit list... But that voice is NOT RAY LIOTTA. 100% sure it's not. I'm not 100% sure who it is. But it is not ray liotta. Though the inflections and tone do indicate similarities to ray liotta's character. It's not him. I know his voice well enough. I think if anything the voice actor was told to try and sound a bit like vercetti.

Guest Marney1

Merge the topics. I'll add the Ray liotta videos as potential videos up the top.

Hang on.....................................no, it's no use. This isn't my website someone else will have to do it.

Guest Marney1

/merged voice over topics

Nice one, situations like this are expected during such an announcement but I think the forums will gradually settle down into a dozen or so dedicated threads. We'll know where we are then.

Doesn't sound like Liotta to me anyways but the character does look like an older Tommy

I agree, it definately looks all scarred and Ray like. But the voice is pretty much definately not him. I wonder who else it could be. P.S Marney, there any casting calls fitting the protagonists story? 45-55 family man trying to get ahead?