Sign in to follow this  
Indy

New Xbox to Launch in 2013?

Report: New Xbox to Launch in 2013

While previous rumors hinted at a 2012 reveal for the next Xbox, new reports indicate that it may be held off until 2013. Develop has heard from multiple industry sources, including chip manufacturers and middleware firms, that the console's reveal will come at E3 2013, with a late 2013 launch to follow.

The launch would likely be simultaneous for all territories, but that doesn't necessarily rule out a 2014 release in some countries. The initial launch is expected to come by the 2013 holiday season, but few analysts expect it to come any earlier than that.

Develop also reports on several other rumors that lend credibility to an upcoming console launch. Namely that Lionhead Studios is currently working on a project known internally as Fable Next, which is expected to launch on a new console. Another source reports that EA has rudimentary next-generation console technology already (which EA has denied).

For now, all of these are rumors, and Microsoft has declined to comment on any of them. If a new console does launch in late 2013, it would coincide with the predicted 2014 release Unreal Engine 4, which Epic CEO Tim Sweeney told us about last month.

Source

So, I would definitely like to see a new console, but I feel that they were just starting to get the best out of the current hardware. I suppose we will have to see if this is even true, because I do recall both Sony and Microsoft claiming a life span of 10 years for their consoles, at the moment they're only about 6 years old.

To be honest, I'm not that bothered about new consoles just yet. I think R* are only just getting to grips with the current gen consoles. They need time to be able to squeeze the full potential and optimize the games well. The PS2 for instance, had plenty of life-span for developers to play with. If a new console comes out in the next year or two, then we wont see any more than two GTA games on our current consoles. And that means they'll have to start again at square one like IV.

On the other hand. They could continue to use the same structure and just add much more power under the hood for developers. But i don't really think that justifies a release of a new console. A new console should be the next jump in tech. Meaning a whole new design, hardware and software....

The consoles we have now are fine. I hate switching over because you have to wait for all your friends, You need to wait for any decent games, The software is usually as buggy as a 10 pound cow shit, and if your account doesnt carry over like last time, you need to restart that bullshit.

Oh right. All that comes standard with microsoft products

Just to clarify the ps2s lifespan in years included the time it was still for sale while the ps3 was out. So the 10 year lifespan can include 3 years of ps3 and ps4 being on the market. Not saying it will, but it could. However I think the ps3 can continue through at least 2 years of the next xbox and keep up easily, the xbox is seriously reaching limiting hardware.

When did Sony launch that slim line PS3? That seems like the actual launch of the console and that wasn't too long ago.

I won't be buying a new console anytime soon...unless Rockstar puts out a new GTA for it....

I still have two PS2s, but keep in mind, They blew nintendo and microsoft out of the water when it came to pretty much everything back then. But microsoft has taking a large portion of Sony's spotlight away now, Especially when it comes to Rockstar

Some more info:

Source

Xbox 720 hitting stores holiday 2012

Earlier this week, the web was set ablaze with new rumors regarding the next-generation Xbox, otherwise known as the Xbox 720 and allegedly codenamed ‘Loop.’ The original report suggested that the new system would be cheaper and smaller than the Xbox 360, be based on Windows 9 and sport ARM processing architecture.

Most importantly, the source alleged that the new console would make its debut at E3 next year.

Tech journalist Paul Thurrott claimed otherwise today, suggesting that Microsoft will instead use Consumer Electronics Show in January as the launching point for their next console, and that it will integrate extensively with Windows 8 and Windows Phone.

During an episode of Windows Weekly, Thurrott stated:

"What I'm hearing is the console is going to come out for holidays next year, meaning that they would almost have to announce this at CES, wouldn't they?”

He went on to claim that Microsoft is taking a note from Apple’s playbook. “They want this thing to integrate very tightly with Windows 8 and Windows Phone,” he said. “Which is a problem with the current Xbox.”

Given the nature of the source and the language used, we’d recommend taking these claims with a grain of salt.

All the same, should the next Xbox make its debut at CES, IGN will be on the ground conducting our annual coverage on IGN Tech

Fingers crossed for this being complete bullshit. I don't want new consoles yet. 2015 at the earliest.

yeah if we get a new system next year, all of our favorite new badass games skyrim cough cough would be obsolete.

remember when the 360 1st came out? only shitty games and most of which were flops. IF a new system comes out next year, u would expect gta5 to be released only on the new console. so yeah.

Ps3 already does 3d...

Here is something you can't understand, how my iphone could just kill a man.

Yeah but Xbox doesn't so thats really then only upgrade they could do besides blu-ray support for larger disc's but won't seeing as it would give income to Sony. PS3 is pretty advanced and supports Blu-Ray D/L which is 50GB just need better network scripting/support.

Xbox definitely needs to come up with a solution to Blu-Ray. I think that is probably one of their main priorities, and they need to have a built in player for their format, otherwise they'd make the same mistake as with HD-DVD. Furthermore, both platforms need to be released around the same time. One of the main reasons Xbox 360 out performed PS3 is because it was released much earlier. If they're released at the same time it should promote healthy competition, which is good for us, the consumer!

Microsoft will have to go Blu-Ray, it's what the consumer wants, and it's the only logical solution at the moment. I'd be a bit pissed if they brought out a new format to be honest as many people now own Blu-Rays, so it's just them being stubborn not to include it.

For games I reckon Microsoft will avoid Blu-ray. Loading times with high-res textures will be too high reading off a disc, so everything will need to be installed. In that case, they might as well make everything downloadable and sell install discs (which could be Blu-ray, but equally could be a high capacity flash drive) in stores for people with crap internet connections.

Then the Xbox 4 will have SSD for blazing fast load speeds.

For games I reckon Microsoft will avoid Blu-ray. Loading times with high-res textures will be too high reading off a disc, so everything will need to be installed. In that case, they might as well make everything downloadable and sell install discs (which could be Blu-ray, but equally could be a high capacity flash drive) in stores for people with crap internet connections.

Then the Xbox 4 will have SSD for blazing fast load speeds.

I'd love for the Xbox to have SSD, I'd also like it to take a normal fucking HDD like the PS3 so I can upgrade it as I need to and not when Microsoft releases bigger size. 20-120GB isn't shit for me.