Sign in to follow this  
Guest Marney-1

World War 2 & Espionage Games

Guest Marney1

Anyone know of any World War 2 or Espionage games preferably based during WW2?

Apart from the sneaking around and using very basic weaponry I also like the old countryside and towns of the 1940's. Life just seemed so peaceful and laid back during that time - except there was a war on. Ideally I want to check out some french resistance or OSS style games so if you have any ideas (apart from The Saboteur) please help me out because I'm having trouble finding anything that suits my fancy.

French resistance Roanne station.jpg

Wanna blow shit up.

The original Call of Duty (PC) - before it went epically mainstream on consoles and the PC was forgotten about... That's a good WW2 game. FPS, but it's set around small towns and so on. One of my favourite games ever. Played it about 50 times.

Guest Marney1

The original Call of Duty (PC) - before it went epically mainstream on consoles and the PC was forgotten about... That's a good WW2 game. FPS, but it's set around small towns and so on. One of my favourite games ever. Played it about 50 times.

Sure I played the original Call of Duty on PS1. Loved it but I'm really after something available on PS3, something I haven't played. Must be something out there.

The market was so over-saturated with WWII games during the late-PS2/Xbox-early-PS3/360 era, it was disgusting. There was literally a new WWII game every month. To this day, I still don't know what inspired this barrage of Nazis and bombed-out countryside, but there it was, every fucking month, and none of the games were any good. While I still haven't played it, the Saboteur is the first WWII game I've ever seen that looked original, and while there are games with similar styles, it's probably the only game of its kind that takes place during WWII.

Sorry homes, looks like you're out of luck.

So you're after a freeroam based game ala GTA and RDR, but set in WWII?

As Massy says; "sorry homes, choo outta luck ese. ¿Comprende?"

Stealthy Nazi-stabbing is a pretty open market.

If you ever get over the WWII portion of your wish, try Assassin's Creed II/Brotherhood. It's similar to how I imagine the Saboteur is.

Guest Marney1

Stealthy Nazi-stabbing is a pretty open market.

If you ever get over the WWII portion of your wish, try Assassin's Creed II/Brotherhood. It's similar to how I imagine the Saboteur is.

Nah, I don't reckon Assassin's Creed is for me, it's got to be a WW2 setting. Anyway, just googled The Saboteur 2 and found this: 'Saboteur 2: Return of the Shoe' - WTF? That's not even funny.

i ignored this topic until today because of my feel toward the FPS genre...

to touch on massacre's point, yes, the saboteur has similar traits to assassin's creed, but the rooftop escapades have a much different feel... there's stuff to destroy up there, and sometimes it proves to be the best tactical approach to the gunfight... trust me man, if' you like GTA, assassin's creed, and james bond, then why haven't you played it yet?? it's probably $10 now, easily worth $60 new... if i recall, it was a hot topic in the old forums...

@psy - i know you played and loved saboteur, but you also mentioned the 1st call of duty... i actually thought the expansion pack, united offensive, was much better, and a great choice for marney as well... he could get the original, but also the expansion pack... it's the one that introduced tanks to the series, and to multiplayer :D... fun fun fun times i had playing united offensive with friends... and surprisingly, you can go online and find lots of people still playing it...

maybe you should check out wolfenstien, marney... it's an alternate reality of WWII, where the 3rd reich had an army of nazi zombies... the more recent adaptation sucked though, it was just a mindless shooter... but so is call of duty so... it's hard to not find a shooter in this genre... it's why the saboteur stands out in the sea of WWII-based games...

Yeah United Offensive was probably my most played online game ever. Must have racked up over 1000 hours easily. By far the best online game I've ever played. Had so much fun doing stunts in the jeeps and running people over etc. so funny.

• Like 1

Guest Marney-1

So I just finished Sniper Elite V2. Excellent game and just the kind of game I was looking out for when I started this thread. I'll give it a short review/opinion later (here it is) because I'm too tired now after crawling around the ruins of 1945 Berlin.

14 and a half hours I made my first playthrough last and ended with 999 kills.

final_uncut.jpg

I'm still after similar games if anyone knows of any. :ph34r: