Synch

RAGE

660px-16620360-Slider-RAGE.jpg

RAGE is first and foremost, a first person shooter by Id Software, pioneers of the

genre, with such legendary game titles as Wolfenstein, DOOM, and Quake.

FPS games are just that, your hands are at a weapon.

They're not like the 3rd person view in GTA or Fallout.

News: Bethesda bought out Id Software outright, so they have

rights to this game, and you can tell by the subtle Fallout changes made to RAGE.

I started this topic on the old forum. Here, we can discuss it further.

http://rage.com/

With an arsenal of weaponry at your disposal, take charge of the wastelands.

Modify vehicles, use engineering schematics to make sentry bots, turrets, etc.

There are 6 of these 'Behind the Scenes' vids to check out, here is the first:

You can't go wrong with the DOOM Shotgun guys, and the Fallout Level Lords.

Who wants some?

This thread is for game play, and help in the game. Tips, tricks, strategies, and answers to all questions.

Now that the game is out & I've completed it once, I'm going through it again so ask for any help you need.

100% completion FAQ and List is on the way......

• Like 1

rental, and probably the first rental on the list when it's released... then i will see if a purchase is justified, but i'll give it a 5 night trial :D... looks like fun, but i worry that even though it's open world, it could still be a funneling linear shooter... i am a little biased to that sort of thing... i went on a FPS binge earlier this year and grew a little more open to the idea of finding another great game i might otherwise pass on... crysis 3 is still a top 3 GOTY for me, i am so glad i decided to get over my FPS-phobia and at least try it... i was blown away!! i am literally buying it when it's $20 so i can play it again and again...

crysis 2 i do believe ran at 60 frames per on the PS3... it's awesome that RAGE will do the same on all consoles, that's a good start... plus, i played their app game on my ipod a couple nights ago and got through the first level... it's an on-the-rails shooter, but it shows off the world of RAGE, and it's currently free... can't really complain, but it does look like a potential winner...

i am always open to a dystopian landscape, which is why i will keep my eye on RAGE...

First day, 10 hours. This is an awesome game.

In a few words: Survival, action, horror, racing, and Fallout. A great combination.

For some reason on XBox360 it's not like the videos, it's softer, and runs really smooth.

The graphics and colors remind me of the Doom 3 engine but on steroids.

Even reminiscent of COD Modern Warfare. Once you realize where you are,

you can start learning, and this is a huge wasteland. Pick up and save everything.

The vehicles handle great and are easy to drive, like GTA and Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction.

There are many huge tributes to Fallout, and DOOM 3, and even to the likes of

GUN (western setting, side missions), Silent Hill (Massacre will love the walls of blood),

and in the early part I think they are paying homage to the Twisted Metal series.

Tied in with Twisted Metal, a tribute to GTA: Liberty City Stories, the survival TV game.

Some areas are just beautiful, others are toxic, fly-infested, poisonous, and deathly creepy.

The story line is pretty interesting and there is no shortage of things to do, work

to be done, races to run, mutants to kill, rare items to find, scavenging, making

engineering and medical supplies, and of course, going in to super scary places.

If you're going to rent this, I suggest you take a few days off, to get anything out of it.

I'm 10 hours in and barely scratched the surface. I pre-ordered for the 4 rare items

and they pay off immediately. If you like anything from ID or Bethesda, you are surely

going to love this game.

• Like 1

aww man... the reviews back up the per-determined guidelines i had based this game on... a "linear FPS" in a dystopian world with bland characters and story... a world that is gorgeous in detail, yet empty because of the lack of involvement... a world with innovative AI behavior that wears out its welcome about a few hours in... a game with numerous weapons and vast strategies with said weapons... a game with linear driving portions and mini-games that help break up the mundane shooting galleries...

yea, it's exactly everything i thought it would be... borderlands on steroids... i enjoyed borderlands but come on, i got bored with it after about 5 hours... and i even played it again with a friend that beat it twice, and enjoyed the co-op experience... yet, we reached the same spot in one night and i was already done with it...

the one thing i do like about this game, and i knew the reviews would touch on it... but it's that the world looks lived in, each mountain looks unique, and the waste of the wasteland doesn't look the same a hundred yards down the road...i am actually impressed with the world id created, yet i am disappointed that's it yet another typical shooter set in dystopian world...

but i am still renting it :D.. someday soon i would imagine... i have a new found joy of at least checking out something fairly interesting, even if it is FPS... crysis 2 was absolutely one of the best gaming experiences for me this year, it changed my perspective a bit... but i am going to be surely disappointed if i reach that same spot i did with borderlands where i got bored and didn't really care to move on :(...

I haven't read any reviews, but I don't need to either. I just keep exploring.

Don't know about any linear path but for me it's like I have a replacement

for no new Fallout or GTA game. It's anything but boring to me. Doesn't seem

like just a first person shooter, a couple of times I have been down right freaked out.

I've never seen toxic goop, walls of blood, and flies so vivid before. Fairly psychotic.

At least, the medical facility, which seems to be the heart of some weird experiments.

I'm about to go for my 3rd delivery mission, and thinking about the 2nd battles in

this wild TV show called Mutant Bash TV or MB TV. [similar to Slash TV in GTA:LCS]

Like Fallout, after you accomplish some crazy shit, the town dwellers talk to you about it.

Also found quite a few ID based easter eggs relating to Wolfenstein and Doom. In going

for 100% completion, got the achievements going already, got 8 so far but there are quite

a lot of them to get. I'm sure I won't get 100% on the first play-through but it's still great.

It won't run. I try to run it, it opens up its own windowed blue screen error. I hate this game without even playing it. Fuck.

Got it sorted. Reminds me more of Borderlands than Fallout. That's not really a bad thing, but I'd prefer more Fallout elements. The graphics are shit, because it uses the 4k x 4k pixel textures from the consoles instead of the 8k x 8k meant for PC. I think there's a fix for it, but I don't think I can safely do it until after I've made my Skyrim upgrades.

Didn't get into it all that much, fucked up some bandits then played something else. I'm probably going to slowly beat the game in small installments instead of killing it in one shot, save it for the downtime between game releases.

• Like 1

It won't run. I try to run it, it opens up its own windowed blue screen error. I hate this game without even playing it. Fuck.

Got it sorted. Reminds me more of Borderlands than Fallout. That's not really a bad thing, but I'd prefer more Fallout elements. The graphics are shit, because it uses the 4k x 4k pixel textures from the consoles instead of the 8k x 8k meant for PC. I think there's a fix for it, but I don't think I can safely do it until after I've made my Skyrim upgrades.

Didn't get into it all that much, fucked up some bandits then played something else. I'm probably going to slowly beat the game in small installments instead of killing it in one shot, save it for the downtime between game releases.

I never played Borderlands, so I can't really compare.

What I have been comparing it to, is the ID games like DOOM and Quake.

I thought DOOM 3 looked awesome but lacked color, this game is much more powerful.

I was an ID fan for years, and they only come out with a game

every 3-5 years or so. It's definitely not like Fallout other than

the wasteland, a few bobbleheads, [Limited edition Vault-TEC bobblehead]

and the buying/selling element. There's no animals in the game as far as I've

seen and I just started disc 2. I think the heavily weaponed up vehicles are

scary enough to keep me indoors, after I got the few driving kills and the

race achievement, I rarely have the money to buy enough ammo to keep

the bandits and other cars away from blowing me up. I am trying to do all the

races first, then the rocket rallies second. Race no matter what is shooting at you,

but the rallies are a bit different point based system.

Also the mini-games are hilarious! The card game is 100 times easier than Caravan.

It's also really fun to watch, and compete in. The knife game is hard at first but you

will get the hang of it. The sheriff holo board game is also funny, but I haven't figured

out any one type of strategy, because I have no idea how to find one, it's a dice roll based game.

Actually I am loving the graphics on XBox 360 but it's scaled way

down from the memory raping PC version. Some of this shit looks totally realistic.

If I were to compare to Fallout 3 and FNV, those games would win hands

down as they have maps you can look at, and so many different items to

haul around. I miss the map like in Fallout and GTA games. Another thing

is the RPG factor and turn based fighting, as well as the ranking system

and perks that make Fallout so great. Not much of that, in fact I have only

gotten a couple of the stealth based achievements because once a few

guards are taken out in stealth, the rest are already now alerted.

Also I keep making bandages (like stimpacks) because I have a really

hard time with that defibrillator even after the upgrade. It's similar to

LB/RB/LB/RB in GTA and Call of Duty games. Match up the heart monitors.

Here's all the achievements I got so far:

My Achievements

RAGE

375 / 1000

23 / 50

46% complete

Last Played

10/10/2011

Decrypted

Complete Jackal Canyon in the Campaign

unlocked on 10/10/2011

Power Struggle

Complete Power Plant in the Campaign

unlocked on 10/9/2011

Mechanocide

Kill 100 Enemies with Sentry Bots, Sentry Turrets, or RC Bomb Cars

unlocked on 10/9/2011

Keep 'Em Coming

Get 5 kills with one deployed Sentry Turret

unlocked on 10/9/2011

Vault Assault

Complete Gearhead Vault in the Campaign

unlocked on 10/9/2011

Mutie Blues

Complete Blue Line Station in the Campaign

unlocked on 10/9/2011

Demolition Man

Destroy 100 Enemy Cars

unlocked on 10/8/2011

ytiC daeD

Complete Dead City Reverse in the Campaign

unlocked on 10/7/2011

Passive Aggressive

Get 3 kills with a single Sentry Bot

unlocked on 10/7/2011

Mr. Oddjob

Complete 5 Job Board Quests in one play-through

unlocked on 10/7/2011

Jail Break

Complete Authority Prison in the Campaign

unlocked on 10/7/2011

Wellness Plan

Complete The Well in the Campaign

unlocked on 10/6/2011

Silent But Deadly

Stealth kill 10 Enemies with the Striker Crossbow

unlocked on 10/6/2011

Debunked

Complete Shrouded Bunker in the Campaign

unlocked on 10/6/2011

Tinkerer

Construct 50 Engineering Items

unlocked on 10/6/2011

Open Minded

Get 10 Headshot kills with the Sniper Rifle

unlocked on 10/5/2011

It's Alive!

Complete Dead City in the Campaign

unlocked on 10/4/2011

Decapathon

Get 10 Headshot kills with the Wingstick

unlocked on 10/4/2011

Gladiator

Complete Mutant Bash TV in the Campaign

unlocked on 10/4/2011

Lead Foot

Win a Race in the Campaign

unlocked on 10/4/2011

Arts and Crafts

Construct 10 Engineering Items

unlocked on 10/4/2011

Waste Management

Complete Wasted Garage in the Campaign

unlocked on 10/4/2011

Ghost Buster

Complete Ghost Hideout in the Campaign

unlocked on 10/4/2011

Had I known this beforehand, I would've gotten it for PS3 instead of PC...

Well I seriously hope you didn't buy the PC version just because I said you would love

the blood dripping from the walls of the medical facility. This is an ID game like DOOM,

and doesn't come close to the Fallout games. It's an FPS, with some new twists like the

awesome wingstick, the schematic to upgrade it to the advanced wingstick, and combat

and racing using vehicles. The storyline of ID games will never be as cool as Fallout.

This story line is just that, extremely short. It's the skill levels of easy/normal/hard/ultra

which make it more worthwhile, and the new side stuff which they've thrown in that make it RAGE.

I guess there's no reason for spoilers when you get to disc 2 - don't go past the power plant

mission for Redstone because that is when the Authority starts to hone in on the game ending.

Don't get me wrong, there is NO reason to fear the Authority or any of the wastelanders'

bullshit gossip and talk, it's all crap, now that I know it I fear nothing.

I have a save before the end where I am doing all the exploring in the Eastern Wasteland,

and you will be able to travel back to Wellsprings on the first disc. But it is not Fallout.

Also I found it very uncool that they made the sewer missions a DLC.

Anyway, just explore everything you can without doing the storyline. That's the way

that I figure I'm getting my money's worth, by having lots of items to sell for cash

and then making all the unique items with schematics, and the races.

The Rocket Rallies are very different than the Combat Races, but I am going for all

of those as well. The 3rd delivery mission in Wellsprings is fucking mega-hard,

and I'm playing on EASY level.

That's another re-playability, I'm not even on normal, hard, or ultra-hard level.

Like the old DOOM and Quake games, that's how these guys roll.

Try playing through those "beautiful graphics" on hard skill mode.

You'll get an achievement if you make it. Will take me years L0L.

One thing that helps me is the advanced wingstick, stock up on those awesome babies.

I bought it for PC because I thought it would be an all-around better experience. The PC version getting the wrong textures would've been enough to get me to get it for PS3 or 360 instead, but the co-op really makes me think I made the wrong choice. I really didn't do as much research on this game as I should have.

I bought this on ps3 on impulse today. I haven't played it yet. I Hope i enjoy it as there are other games i could have been buying. I'll be getting some, but now i have this, it means one less in the coming weeks.

I haven't gotten very far, and I haven't been paying attention to some of the names, but I think Wellsprings is more like Megaton.

I just got to Wellspriings. The little town looks pretty nice, in a weird wastelandish kinda way. :)

Wellsprings, as in there is a well underneath.

Good place to stop the storyline for some fun.

I can't get enough of the field goals.

Get on your Jetter and find the 3 of them.

The first is by your ark. Go all the way to

the bottom where you can't drive anymore.

Spot the field goal, back up, and NOS into the rail.

If you do it right, you'll fly over the handle bars.

If you make a field goal, an air horn will sound. :clap:

Get all 3 for the achievement, by then you'll be addicted.

I've been trying to see how far I can launch even after getting it.

made it all the way to mutant bash TV... and yes, massacre, i saw that nice little easter egg sitting on the mayors desk in wellsprings :D... i don't want to sell it though, maybe someone out there collects them??? i failed the mutant bash TV game in the final challenge, and once i died i had to restart the whole game from the start of the challenge... so, i called it quits at that moment... not sure how i am going to make it passed that thing at the end...

i am really really loving the look of the world, and the driving is fun... this is really what borderlands should of been... it should of been RAGE, with a bunch of guns to loot... the only thing that bugs me is how the textures pop in and out depending on where you're looking... if you look straight ahead, the textures load, look to the side and those aren't loaded, which take a second to fully load... it kind of bugged me when i first started playing but i haven't noticed it as much lately... i am getting used to it, maybe it's just a PS3 thing...

the graphics and lighting on the other hand make this one of the best looking games out on the market today... i am simply in awe with the world i am driving around... the amount of detail in every location is amazing... nothing looks the same, no re-used shacks or rooms... hell, even the graffiti is different everywhere you go...

fighting is still that same old tunneled FPS kind... it's about as close as you get to "on-the-rails" without actually being on the the rails... the cool thing about it though is you get to drive to those locations, which opens up the world a little... it has that borderlands feeling of navigating the world and starting quests... but it's just done much better, and with a world that feels more in tune to it's surroundings... borderlands felt empty and filled with skags... this world is filled with raiders and mutants right now, and it just feels right...

for an installation that took 20 minutes to save data to the hard drive, it sure takes a long time to load :angry:... with possibly one of the longest installation times on the PS3, right behind metal gear solid 4, i am still surprised at how long it takes to move in and out of locations separated by doors, and the amount of time it takes to load a race or load from a checkpoint... hmm..

i get the whole "arc" storyline that my character is attached to... the last of the old-world human race, which must hold a key to the world and the story i am sure... i don't know, i am surely enjoying this more that "bodycount" i rented yesterday :D... the next few days should be rather enjoyable, unless it reaches that point where the enemies are just too tough for me, which does happen in FPS sometimes... i guess i could always lower the difficulty if it does...

I've heard that RAGE uses some tech called "MegaTexture" or something along those lines. It essentially looks like this:

figure1.jpg

rrmythicalspr.png

A whole area or map will have all the textures saved to a giant texture sheet, which is meant to save the loading times for the level. But as you can see, the popping from levels of detail can be a pain. I think RAGE does this, but the textures sheets are on a much larger scale, like 100000x100000 pixels or something crazy. I'm not 100% sure, but i have heard this somewhere.

/edit

I've found this which sort of backs up my claim:

http://wiki.polycount.com/Multitexture