The Mad Dooby

Cars/Vehicle Talk

First of all, the new Cadillac sedans are smaller cars than than the new BMW 7 series. Second, get behind the wheel of an American car with some decent power, and you'll see why we love them so. True American cars are punchy, powerful, and innovative. None of the vehicles you say you have ridden in have any of these features. Get in something decent before you make that generalization.

Problem with wanting a big and powerful car over here is the price of petrol.

I know gas is hella expensive in the uk, but Googlefluff says he's in Canada. Besides, what kind of gas mileage does your car make? My father has a 2011 Dodge challenger with the 305 horsepower v6 and makes 30 mpg all day.

First of all, the new Cadillac sedans are smaller cars than than the new BMW 7 series. Second, get behind the wheel of an American car with some decent power, and you'll see why we love them so. True American cars are punchy, powerful, and innovative. None of the vehicles you say you have ridden in have any of these features. Get in something decent before you make that generalization.

Problem with wanting a big and powerful car over here is the price of petrol.

Though only for a short amount of time, I have been in a 1970 Dodge Challenger and 1969 Ford Mustang and they were very fun and quite comfortable. I still didn't like them as a whole, though. They were squishy, had automatic gearboxes, and I didn't like how they looked. I had just as much fun in my dad's '92 Jetta when I was little. Yup, as much fun as a Mustang but with only 120hp. They're faster than they look. We got it up to 130mph once (top speed of your dad's Challenger is 160mph by the way).

I know gas is hella expensive in the uk, but Googlefluff says he's in Canada. Besides, what kind of gas mileage does your car make? My father has a 2011 Dodge challenger with the 305 horsepower v6 and makes 30 mpg all day.

Said Jetta got 50-60mpg. I spent an hour in a '97 Porsche 911 going 100mph in 2nd gear the whole time and got and 40mpg.

Said Jetta got 50-60mpg. I spent an hour in a '97 Porsche 911 going 100mph in 2nd gear the whole time and got and 40mpg.

Ya, that's complete bullshit. If the jetta was a diesel, it might get to around 50, but you'd have to have the wind behind you. 40 mpg in a porsche? Complete and utter bullshit! How did you calculate this? We're you going downhill the entire fucking time? I'm sure my el camino could make better than 40mpg if all I did was coast down a fucking hill for an hour. Even if the Porsche could hit 100 in second gear, it would be completely stupid to do this. That's the best way to blowout a gearbox. And really the only way to achieve 40mpg in any strictly gas-powered car, you'd need to be in the highest gear your car has. Stop trying to make shit up.

Ya, that's complete bullshit. If the jetta was a diesel, it might get to around 50, but you'd have to have the wind behind you. 40 mpg in a porsche? Complete and utter bullshit! How did you calculate this? We're you going downhill the entire fucking time? I'm sure my el camino could make better than 40mpg if all I did was coast down a fucking hill for an hour. Even if the Porsche could hit 100 in second gear, it would be completely stupid to do this. That's the best way to blowout a gearbox. And really the only way to achieve 40mpg in any strictly gas-powered car, you'd need to be in the highest gear your car has. Stop trying to make shit up.

It's not bullshit. That's what I got. In the Porsche, I went 100 miles at an average speed of 100mph (I was in the countryside). It has a 19.4 gallon tank that was full when I set off and had 17 gallons left after the hour of driving. That's just under 40mpg. By the way, I was at 6000rpm in 2nd gear at 100mph which isn't going to blow the engine. And no, the Jetta wasn't a diesel.

Guest Marney-1

It's not bullshit. That's what I got. In the Porsche, I went 100 miles at an average speed of 100mph (I was in the countryside). It has a 19.4 gallon tank that was full when I set off and had 17 gallons left after the hour of driving. That's just under 40mpg. By the way, I was at 6000rpm in 2nd gear at 100mph which isn't going to blow the engine. And no, the Jetta wasn't a diesel.

Where was this road? I'm surprised Top Gear haven't been testing cars out on it.

There is no fucking way you managed 40mpg at 6000 rpm. In 1997, only a handful of cars (sold in north america, anyway) that were capable of 40 mpg under regular conditions. One of those was a Honda insight. A Honda Insigt is a god damn hybrid. A fucking hybrid with a BATTERY. I now own a 1999 rav4 that I can barely make 30 mpgs with on a good day. There is no way in hell a Porsche will make "good" gas mileage. 20's more like it. Maybe. If you're light on the throttle, anyway, and definitely not at 100 mph in 2nd gear (which I'm still not convinced is even possible).

I told you what I did and whether you believe it or not, I don't care. I told you what I think and whether you agree or not, I care even less. We should definitely agree to disagree on this one before it gets out of hand and we get dealt a blow from the ban hammer.

I told you what I did and whether you believe it or not, I don't care. I told you what I think and whether you agree or not, I care even less. We should definitely agree to disagree on this one before it gets out of hand and we get dealt a blow from the ban hammer.

Ok, just don't come in here and talk about how all American cars are shit, then continue to make shit up about European made cars.

I'm sure you've all enjoyed this little show.

Guest Marney-1

I still want to know what road this amazing feat was achieved on, don't suppose you could give us a Google Earth link to it could you?

Thanks.

I still want to know what road this amazing feat was achieved on, don't suppose you could give us a Google Earth link to it could you?

Thanks.

I was going west on Township Road 292 near Cremona, Alberta, then north on the 22, then east on the 580. I don't know how to give you a link to a specific location but you'll find it if you type it in to Google Maps. I would have gone into the mountains, but it obviously wasn't my car so...

For the record I like Saturn.

But GM needs a serious improvement in quality. Euro and Japanese cars are way more affordable, economic, and require less maintenance. While I'll admit Some Euro cars are shit, for the most part even the European made GMs (Vauxhall/Opel) Are better than the crap we have over here. And if anybody tries to play the GM has improved since the recession card I will slap you. My brand new 2011 Chevy Cruze with less than 40k on it has been stalling lately. Not to mention it has had 2 recalls put out for it already. My 2007 Chevy Uplander. 5 starter problems within the same month. Before that, 97 Astro which fell apart piece by piece each month. My family has been completely suckered in by the whole "Support the economy, buy domestic!" bullshit. And I think they're a bunch of idiots for doing so. The only american car company I have slight respect for is Ford, and even then, I'd still rather drive a Subaru or a Nissan.

GM, Ford, and Chrylser are all garbage. Do yourself a huge favor and buy an Inline-6 Altima or Impreza WRX.

GM, Ford, and Chrylser are all garbage. Do yourself a huge favor and buy an Inline-6 Altima or Impreza WRX.

Woah woah woah, lets slow Down here. Ford and Chrysler have recently revamped their entire lines, putting them leaps and bounds ahead of the shit gm is still pumping out.

My dad has a porsche Carrera 4S. I've never achieved 40mpg, even when I've tried to drive economically. The best i'd probably get is about 30 mpg. Which is pretty exceptional.

And you'd have to be at as low as 1500-2000 rpm, correct?

Woah woah woah, lets slow Down here. Ford and Chrysler have recently revamped their entire lines, putting them leaps and bounds ahead of the shit gm is still pumping out.

Ford Yes. They've improved massively and I give them cudos for it. But they still have a ways to go before they catch up with the euros/japs. But of all the American companies they're by far the best.

Chysler however, no. They may look nice and powerful, but underneath they're the same old unreliable shitbox. Maybe now that Fiat owns them they'll improve but I have yet to be convinced Dodge or Chysler is worth owning.

GM. Garbage, pure Garbage. But then again, all the parts for GM are made by the crackheads in my town. So i'm not surprised.

My dad has a porsche Carrera 4S. I've never achieved 40mpg, even when I've tried to drive economically. The best i'd probably get is about 30 mpg. Which is pretty exceptional.

And you'd have to be at as low as 1500-2000 rpm, correct?

In fact, I wrote that when I was drunk. I'd be surprised to get anything more than 20mpg, I think it averages like 12 or something.

Ford Yes. They've improved massively and I give them cudos for it. But they still have a ways to go before they catch up with the euros/japs. But of all the American companies they're by far the best.

Chysler however, no. They may look nice and powerful, but underneath they're the same old unreliable shitbox. Maybe now that Fiat owns them they'll improve but I have yet to be convinced Dodge or Chysler is worth owning.

GM. Garbage, pure Garbage. But then again, all the parts for GM are made by the crackheads in my town. So i'm not surprised.

As for Chrysler, their new Dodge line has greatly impressed me, mostly because of the new Durango, lightly revamped Challenger, and Fiat-engineered Dart

I'm going to pretend I never read Ex-PS fanboy's posts and instead state the new additions to my car.

-Hooker darkside ceramic coated headers

-Cherry bomb glass pack exhaust

I also came up with how to build the roll bar for my car while still seating 2 people in the back. Should look pretty cool. The Challenger is in the shop right now being media blasted so i can get started on body work before winter rolls in

I guess if you look at chrysler from a truck/workhorse point of view, they actually are a very good company. But the cars, uggghhhh… I never liked fiat or dodge in terms of reliability, I have serious doubts about the dart. To me, Fiat+Dodge = new tranny every 120000KM

and please, flame away, the only time I enjoy it is when cars are involved.

-Hooker darkside ceramic coated headers

-Cherry bomb glass pack exhaust

Mmmmm... Sounds like pure sex to me. I love old school glass packs. I personally have a custom set of Hearthrob glass packs, and a similar set of headers, except mine are legit 60s models, got them from a swap meet. Actually, most of my El Camino came from a swap meet.

Cars?

Cadillac Coupe Deville

Dodge Challenger

Pontiac GP/GTO

Chevrolet Impala

Ford Mustang

Chevrolet Camaro

All these in 60's-70's models, of course. Some have pretty cool modern models as well (Challenger, Camaro, Mustang)