The Mad Dooby

Cars/Vehicle Talk

Change two things on the plan for my car, I'm going for independent rear suspension and a 3:55 gear ratio. I also wouldn't mind some aluminum heads and intake

I still say you nix the turbos for a supercharger

Change two things on the plan for my car, I'm going for independent rear suspension and a 3:55 gear ratio. I also wouldn't mind some aluminum heads and intake

I still say you nix the turbos for a supercharger

I've looked into it, but I'm not building a 1/4 mile car. I'm building a car that is meant to go around race tracks like what you see in Forza and Gran Turismo. Superchargers rob horsepower from your engine by adding the extra belt. Turbochargers are more fuel efficent by re-cycling exhaust and not pushing psi into your engine when at idle. They are only used when you start walking on the pedal. Also, the myth about turbo lag doesnt exist when you have a 440. Superchargers are better for drag cars because they put power to the engine all the time, but this can create stress on your engine, and wear it out faster.

I beg to differ. I have seen many supercharged cars at the Local autocross club, and with some of today's new tech, those superchargers are getting smaller and smaller, while keeping the same or gaining power, and eliminating many of the negative effects you just stated. Besides, if you're building a track car, why do you want to use a 440? I have a supercharged 327 small block in my el camino, and I have enough trouble getting proper weight distribution, I can't imagine how much harder it would be with a big block.

Boy do I love being a teenager with an absolutely great paying job. I get to start a new project :). I finalize payment of a 1999 Toyota rav4 4x4 tomorrow. Its got the same 4 cylinder that they had in the legendary toyota trucks of the 80s and 90s. It's gonna be a sort of daily driver for me (my el camino doesn't make real great gas mileage, but it'll still get driven plenty). The rav4 is going to get a lift kit and some bigger tires so I can get into off-roading here in the bayous of southeastern Texas.

Why would your dream car be a mk.1 Golf? Out of anything you could choose in your wildest dreams; £500,000 supercars, £2,000,000 vintage Ferraris, etc. etc. and your dream car - that is the car that money out of the equation you would definitely buy is a Mk.1 Golf? Hmmm.

I say my dream car is a DB9, but actually i'd say it was a DB5.

My dream car is a mint condition MK1 Golf GTI. My MK4 Golf made it's way to the scrap yard yesterday :(

My Mk4 GTI is costing me a small fortune in minor repairs-that-will-turn-into-major-ones-if-they-don't-get-done. I don't even plan on keeping it that long, it's slow as fuck.

What happened to yours?

I beg to differ. I have seen many supercharged cars at the Local autocross club, and with some of today's new tech, those superchargers are getting smaller and smaller, while keeping the same or gaining power, and eliminating many of the negative effects you just stated. Besides, if you're building a track car, why do you want to use a 440? I have a supercharged 327 small block in my el camino, and I have enough trouble getting proper weight distribution, I can't imagine how much harder it would be with a big block.

My car will be an on going project. ultimately, I want an all aluminum SRT V10 engine. But I'm sticking with the turbochargers. The car I'm building will serve alot more purpose than just a track car. It will be a lot of things

My dream car is a mint condition MK1 Golf GTI. My MK4 Golf made it's way to the scrap yard yesterday :(

My Mk4 GTI is costing me a small fortune in minor repairs-that-will-turn-into-major-ones-if-they-don't-get-done. I don't even plan on keeping it that long, it's slow as fuck.

What happened to yours?

A lot of problems have cropped up since I had mine. This recent one (and final one) though was due to the cambelt snapping and in turn ruining the head? (not too sure on a lot of car technical stuff) which would have meant a £500 bill.

It's a sad day as I happen to love VW cars :(

What happened to yours?

A lot of problems have cropped up since I had mine. This recent one (and final one) though was due to the cambelt snapping and in turn ruining the head? (not too sure on a lot of car technical stuff) which would have meant a £500 bill.

It's a sad day as I happen to love VW cars :(

Was that bad luck or was it overdue a cambelt replacement? Cambelt is probably the most important part in a car so was the first thing I did when I got mine, no history of it ever being changed at 111000 miles (should be gone every 60k) and I figured a £300 bill was better than a dead car. If it snaps when you're on the move you would be a lottery winner to not end up looking at an engine rebuild (as apparently you weren't :P)

It'd had been done at 80,000 miles! I wasn't moving either, I turned the ignition off and then 5 minutes later it wouldn't turn on again. I think it was just bad luck to be honest :(.

I love cars I just wish I could afford a new one, purely for the reason you get a warranty and the plus of having a nice new car. The thing is I actually hate new cars and would much rather have an old VW. At the minute I can't really afford to get a car and keep it running (even a second hand one) so it's back to public transport for as long as I can bear it!

What sort of cars are you into Duffman? Or is just an A to B (as fast as possible) kinda thing? :)

It'd had been done at 80,000 miles! I wasn't moving either, I turned the ignition off and then 5 minutes later it wouldn't turn on again. I think it was just bad luck to be honest :(.

I love cars I just wish I could afford a new one, purely for the reason you get a warranty and the plus of having a nice new car. The thing is I actually hate new cars and would much rather have an old VW. At the minute I can't really afford to get a car and keep it running (even a second hand one) so it's back to public transport for as long as I can bear it!

What sort of cars are you into Duffman? Or is just an A to B (as fast as possible) kinda thing? :)

I'm into fast practical cars just out of my budget :P The Golf GTI I have now is the slowest they ever made, it's nice to drive - if a little soft when on full attack - but I'll be looking to chop it in in a few months time. I was looking at an R32 for my next car but now I've have a Golf, although I like it, I'd like to get something different. I wouldn't mind an E46 M3 or an S4 but the commute to my new job would make it impossible to sustain with the fuel bills and maintenence costs, so I'm looking at a E46 330ci M-Sport for my next car - 230hp, RWD, 3.0l straight 6, and 30mpg, plus full leather interior, upgraded sound system, and some other toys...

Ooft the E46 330 sounds nice, always wanted a BMW but whenever I cruise up a hill in winter past all the BM drivers I change my mind :lol: an S4 would be really nice as well but as you mentioned, it's a no go for daily commuting really.

The other good thing about new cars is the way they've managed to consistently reduce the size of the engines while creating more horsepower and increasing MPG...but they all just feel a bit too safe if you know what I mean.

I also wouldn't mind the old Audio Quattro with the black rings on the side, think it was in Ashes to Ashes? (too young to remember) either way it's a beauty!

The other good thing about new cars is the way they've managed to consistently reduce the size of the engines while creating more horsepower and increasing MPG...but they all just feel a bit too safe if you know what I mean.

I like the better mpg but I don't like how a lot of manufacturers are turning cylinders into turbos for new models e.g. V8s into twin turbo V6s. I know it's to meet emissions standards and the mpg increase wouldn't be possible without turbos, but you lose the noise and no fancy tuned exhaust can get around it.

I also wish they'd make turbos worse by raising the pressure and increasing turbo lag. Part of the fun in a turbo car is the lag you get in a high pressure turbo. When it's just small enough to cover the lost cubic capacity, the fun is gone.

Then again, turbos mean modern cars will be easier to map when they turn cheap in a few years time...

I like the better mpg but I don't like how a lot of manufacturers are turning cylinders into turbos for new models e.g. V8s into twin turbo V6s. I know it's to meet emissions standards and the mpg increase wouldn't be possible without turbos, but you lose the noise and no fancy tuned exhaust can get around it.

I also wish they'd make turbos worse by raising the pressure and increasing turbo lag. Part of the fun in a turbo car is the lag you get in a high pressure turbo. When it's just small enough to cover the lost cubic capacity, the fun is gone.

Then again, turbos mean modern cars will be easier to map when they turn cheap in a few years time...

A lot of manufacturers here in the U.S. are dropping cylinders for turbos, and I think they're doing a pretty good job of it. The best example is probably the ford f150 ecoboost. The turbocharged v6 makes close to 100 more horsepower over its v8 counterpart, and makes better gas mileage too.

I don't have a car at the moment but I'd really like to have a 1980s-1990s VW or a W123 Mercedes (you can get them so cheap now it's awesome). I'd also like to point out that most American cars are completely ridiculous and I don't like them. I probably shouldn't have said that. Mad Dooby, Bones, and many others will now proceed to try and brutally murder me.

I don't have a car at the moment but I'd really like to have a 1980s-1990s VW or a W123 Mercedes (you can get them so cheap now it's awesome). I'd also like to point out that most American cars are completely ridiculous and I don't like them. I probably shouldn't have said that. Mad Dooby, Bones, and many others will now proceed to try and brutally murder me.

I hope that you drive your little European shitbox straight into a big-ass 1970 Cadillac.

I hope that you drive your little European shitbox straight into a big-ass 1970 Cadillac.

American cars being "big-ass" is their biggest problem. Just sayin'.

• Like 1

American cars being "big-ass" is their biggest problem. Just sayin'.

You do realize that American cars haven't been "big" since 30-40 yrs ago, right? Today, the biggest cars (not SUVs or trucks) I see around are the huge Mercedes benzes (whatever model they are) the BMW 700 series, or Hyundai equus. They're bigger than any sedan from An American company.

I live in Canada so there is a mix of European, Japanese, and American cars and every single American car (except for Focuses, Fiestas, Aveos etc. which aren't American anyway) are huge compared to everything else on the road. One of my relatives also happens to own a Mercedes and it's way smaller than a Crown Vic, Lincoln, or Cadillac. It's actually only about the same length as a minivan (no, it isn't an A-Class). The other problem I have with them is build quality. I don't mean the old ones, they were well-built because that was when they tried, I mean post-1970s when they stopped building things properly and started living by the motto "Build for as little as possible, sell for as much as possible". I've spent 2 days in a Pontiac Sunfire, 11 hours in a GMC, 7 hours in a Dodge Grand Caravan, 5 hours in a Chrysler Neon, and 3 hours in a Saturn and the best word I can use to describe them all was shit. Just watch this http://video.google....450185420129625 It's a video that compares American cars to European cars.

First of all, the new Cadillac sedans are smaller cars than than the new BMW 7 series. Second, get behind the wheel of an American car with some decent power, and you'll see why we love them so. True American cars are punchy, powerful, and innovative. None of the vehicles you say you have ridden in have any of these features. Get in something decent before you make that generalization.

Guest Marney-1

First of all, the new Cadillac sedans are smaller cars than than the new BMW 7 series. Second, get behind the wheel of an American car with some decent power, and you'll see why we love them so. True American cars are punchy, powerful, and innovative. None of the vehicles you say you have ridden in have any of these features. Get in something decent before you make that generalization.

Problem with wanting a big and powerful car over here is the price of petrol.

This is what my Challenger looks like now

post-94-0-32431700-1335486901_thumb.jpg

post-94-0-79856200-1335486999_thumb.jpg

Nice money pit and or rust bucket.

Bmw > cadillac... Cts looks nice though.