Jizzy

Law

Couldnt really get an answer for this on google.

We have a finished basement at our house, which we rent out. Most recent tenant came in a year ago. Just found out he is a registered Class A sex offender. His listed address is somewhere he hasnt lived for two years.

Are we legally obligated to update his address? We obvious dont want a blue dot on our house, but we also dont want to kick him out because he is a good tenant.

P.S: When my dad died i took his phone, told the police i hadnt seen it while it was in my pocket, and destroyed it later to protect my family and his other associates. What laws did i break?

You're not required to say anything, nor should you. Snitches get stitches. Just feign ignorance if anything comes of it. As of the moment you read this, you have officially forgotten everything you know about your tenant's criminal background. Enjoy your lifted burden.

You disposed of evidence and likely interfered with an investigation or two, by destroying your old man's phone. You've done well. For what it's worth, your Uncle Massacre is proud of you.

Seek a proper lawyer on both counts. The law could differ state to state and if he does a bunk and the police come looking you may well have been harboring a fugitive. A decent lawyer should cost between $200-$250/hr. Specialized will be more.

Are you running background checks on your tenants? How didn't this turn up earlier?

There's no indication that the police are actually looking for the guy; he just hasn't updated his address. Also, in America, you're free to just rent out individual rooms of your house and aren't required to background check the person moving in. From a legal standpoint, it's more like having a roommate than a tenant. This may not apply to every state.

The phone cannot and will not come back on you. If you disposed of it properly, they have no way of knowing what happened, and they likely won't ever bother you again. So long as your tenant is done with the shit that got him registered. But again, in that instance, just say you didn't know.

Believe it or not, I found out just fucking around on the registry website. I had heard that a classmate I went to school with had raped a child, and I saw my tenants name when I clicked on the option to list by name. We werent doing background checks, this house already had all sorts of illegal activity going on in it before.

The phone is in 50 pieces and in an undisclosed body of water.

I know he isnt wanted or anything because the police were fucking with him a little during the whole situation with my dad, searching his area for drugs, questioning him, etc. If they were interested in him for any reason I think they would have took him.

Then you're in the clear.

Any interest in continuing the family business (whatever that may have been)? We haven't gotten an update on your situation in quite a while.

World of opportunity opens up, once you realize that rock bottom is a gift, not a curse.

Hello, you don't have to say anything but pretend that you don't know who and that you have never seen him then they will probably not suspect anything so that they do not search the house because then it will be very bad and they will find him at your house