DuPz0r

RDR2 Mapping [Interiors & Out of Map inc.]

10 hours ago, TreeFitty said:

I'm wondering if those mountains are actually part of Mexico and this shot is down in Scarlet Meadows/Bayou area. The scenery doesn't really fit for what I think that area would be like, though.

It's this one again, surely.

1145.jpg

2 hours ago, DuPz0r said:

Edge magazine teased a RDR2 review article with this image.

https://i.imgur.com/5ZKchYr.png

Is this more proof that there is 5 North American states in RDR2?

I'm saying... yes...? Tentatively.

Edited by ViceMan

So I've been thinking about those 5 states mentioned in the train annotation. Even if New Austin isn't a fully explorable area, it's still mentioned. So i wanted to explore this further.

I thought about the different territories from the leaked map, and took a guess at what the states could be. I mean, it's hard to take a calculated estimation, but we can probably divide them into visual sectors, based on the terrain and foliage. But there's more visual sectors(which we can see in the leaked map territories), than there is states. 

Uc8fL2i.jpg

I'd be interested to see what you guys think the states will be?

11 hours ago, TreeFitty said:

edit: here's the horse pic with heavy contrast modification if anyone can match up the mountains:

horsemountains.png

I'm wondering if those mountains are actually part of Mexico and this shot is down in Scarlet Meadows/Bayou area. The scenery doesn't really fit for what I think that area would be like, though.

This is my guess...

ul1NTe8.jpg

I'm not saying these shots line up, they're completely different perspectives and positions. But i'm just pointing out that the mountain range lines up, and that these are definitely in the same area.

4BiyeIE.jpg

I think the camera guy shot is on the same plateau as the horse rearing up. You can see the very edge of that rock on his right, plus the top of the bigger finger rock.

It's funny how these seemingly obvious rock shapes don't appear in a lot of the other shots, kinda like these two beauties that I looked at before.

1308.jpg

They are quite clearly in the mountain range behind Valentine somewhere, but in a lot of the shots looking that way they don't seem to be there, either obscured by cloud or the wrong angle I guess :confused:. I called them QD's Mounds before, but I think Toblerone might be a more fitting and universally recognisable name.

I'm actually doubting myself now as to whether these are the same rocks. I was certain of it before, but now not so sure.

1140.jpg

Edited by ViceMan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DuPz0r said:

I'm not saying these shots line up, they're completely different perspectives and positions. But i'm just pointing out that the mountain range lines up, and that these are definitely in the same area.

4BiyeIE.jpg

And that's where it doesn't make much sense to me for it to be facing east in those shots. The horse and Jimmy Brooks scenes are definitely near the same place. Maybe the radar was misaligned in the Jimmy Brooks scene? Or they spliced clips together from 2 completely different times of day for whatever reason?

As for the states, I would guess Heartlands and Cumberland are together. Then Big Valley and Grizzlies together. Using the river as a dividing line.

edit: here's my guess for the states...

states1.png

• Like 1

So this is a longshot and i'm 99% sure it's wrong, but I got curious.

yumaTHg.jpg

There are definitely similarities, but they are too coincidental. Problem with that desert pic is there are several planes of mountain ranges within that profile and it's hard to isolate one from another. (I flipped the desert shot BTW. Oh and the watermark says "who would want to steal this piece of shit???")

• Like 1

You had me giddy until you said it was flipped. Again, it makes the location of it a bit of a mind fuck.

I really need to set up my PS3 again and take a look at RDR. Part of me was wondering if we could find that desert pic and do a comparison of new & old.

• Like 1

I was going on my previous crazy theory of the desert being north west of the map area we already have. Yeah I was looking at some old RDR screenshots, but to really get an idea you need to be in-game yourself so you can see from every angle.

Well I looked at the Mexican border mountains from a few old screenshots and other sources and they looked like less of a match than the one I posted. Think this desert is going to elude us until the next gameplay trailer at least, or even release. Speaking of which, how long do you think it'll be before somebody leaks an early copy of the game and we can find out how big the map really is and how close we were?

I'm still going with my north west desert theory anyway, it's just as credible as anything else at this point.

Just linking these.....

Train robbery just south of Valentine:

1216.jpg

^I think this is that road we see in the radar of this next shot:

1333.jpg

^There are two poles "double up" in the previous pic (center) which may be this crossover point for the wires.

1175.jpg

^Note the tree next to the horses on the right. You can see this tree in all the previous pics.

1174.jpg

^Note what looks like the barns in the background left of Arthur's horse (this is from trailer 3 if you want to go to different frames) and the mountain peak. You can see the pole crossover again on the left. Also note the train is going the opposite way from the IGN screenshot.

This is the S-bend area I pointed out previously with other shots:

1110.jpg

1376.jpg

^The rocks on the left behind the trees are the ones in the background of the bear pic.

1301.jpg

^I assume this is somewhere nearby but can't find a good match for the rock formation the moose is on top of. The layered rocks are similar to the waterfall area.

These two have the same ruins on the left of each:

1192.jpg

1280.jpg

^Right above Dutch's head

Still doesn't put an exact location on it but something to think about.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TreeFitty said:

These two have the same ruins on the left of each:

1192.jpg

1280.jpg

^Right above Dutch's head

Still doesn't put an exact location on it but something to think about.

I had a think about it...

Not much to go on, but i feel like these line up with Scarlett Meadows coastline on the map pretty well.

ci8Ovp6.jpg

I've had this one sat on my PC for a couple of weeks. Didn't really feel like i was getting anywhere with it, but i am sure there is a grassy mountain/hill we are missing in Cumberland somewhere, and this is it. I just can't seem to find it in many other shots. Maybe someone else can find the missing link...

40YjPrf.jpg

I've looked for that a few times, it should appear in both of these shots but it doesn't as far as I can see.

1377.jpg

1396.jpg

If you are talking about the dead tree hill in your main pic that is, it's definitely somewhere in the heartlands since you can see the same shocker profile. Perhaps this is another example of a living world that progresses over time; that tree starts off dead but slowly grows back which would explain why we can't see it anywhere else - it's just another tree.

I reckon this is around by that burnt out homestead on the edge of Flatiron too, possibly near Dewberry Creek as i'm pretty sure there's a river in the background.

1204.jpg

Edited by ViceMan
  • Like 1

Hmm what if what we are looking at is actually a hill where it's marked Larned Sod? It could be taller off-screen to the right. The leaked map is old, and some of the stuff could be missing in it. It might in-fact be the exact spot Arthur is standing on with his horse looking down at courthouse and jailhouse rock (real world names for those rocks)...

I'm not sure if that hill is necessarily that tall, it's just the camera angle. There are quite a lot of hillocks in the heartlands and this seems to be any number of them.

23 hours ago, ViceMan said:

I've looked for that a few times, it should appear in both of these shots but it doesn't as far as I can see.

1377.jpg

1396.jpg

If you are talking about the dead tree hill in your main pic that is, it's definitely somewhere in the heartlands since you can see the same shocker profile. Perhaps this is another example of a living world that progresses over time; that tree starts off dead but slowly grows back which would explain why we can't see it anywhere else - it's just another tree.

Am i the only one that didn't make this connection before...? ^ It just dawned on me that we can see all the way to the second river across to the east of the heartlands! I thought it was much further back, behind all those hills.

KkNU6Mu.jpg

So what does that tell us about the map scale? And what settlement is it we're looking at here? Or is that a different body of water all together? Dewberry Creek?

Is that what you've been trying to tell me Vicey?

• Like 2

Yes, I even made an image with those two shots in but didn't bother uploading it. Pretty sure that's Emerald Ranch in the second pic. Dewberry Creek would be on the river, probably bottom right behind the hill.

I'm not sure. I actually think Emerald Ranch is actually behind the hill to the right on the top image, and behind Arthur in the image below. I feel like we're looking at something much closer to that Roanoke River. If you look closer at the settlement, i think i can even see train carriages to the right of the house. Might be the Railrad Camp? That rock we keep seeing might actually be part of the Balsamic Rise, and Annesburg is along the coast behind the other hill in the background.

qcCPcat.jpg

That river runs north east though, not due north. I'm also pretty sure you can see Saint Denis in the far distance on the right, look like shipping type cranes on the water's edge. (They could be trees, it's hard to tell.) There's also a railway line that runs along the very edge of that lake, again heading north-south. I'm still certain it's Emerald Ranch, but I guess time will tell, at this point I don't think I can be convinced otherwise. :D

I tried to outline the river line in the blue. It looks like it runs off screen to the left which is North then is should weave between the mountains and behind balsam rise to the East. The camera is facing East/NE so we're seeing it run from the North to the South in that section of the river. That's how it looks to me anyway.

sCdS72H.jpg

And what we can see on the far right (which is cut off on my image) Is most likely Tallulah Jetty, and prison Island out to sea.

I feel like R* have really tried to hide Emerald Ranch from us so far, for whatever reasons.

• Like 1

Might not be completely fleshed out. Same as them showing us the same places from different angles because that's the areas that are polished off and look beautiful.

That river is a prime example of changes between the leak map and the finished game. I know we talked about it a little previously and we all came to the "it's not exactly the same" conclusion and just shelved it. At least now we have it linked to other wide shots.

15 hours ago, DuPz0r said:

I feel like R* have really tried to hide Emerald Ranch from us so far, for whatever reasons.

Thinking about it the name Emerald might have connotations with Ireland, so there might be a certain Irish character who resides there - why R* would want to hide him from us however I don't know.

• Like 1