Massacre

Fallout

On 7/24/2016 at 11:57 AM, ViceMan said:

One thing that still kinda bugs me is that you can't name your settlers. I've started a new survival file where I intend to play as a raider, i'm gonna build up Starlight (again) and make a big raider town with the new workshop stuff. However i'd like to give my settlers typical raider names just to add to the RP and uniqueness.

Love the super mutant names, so simple and stupid. Wish I could name my guys that shit.
Remembering the first encounter with named Raiders, what a battle, always weird yet wonderful first time around.
Back in those days, the named Raiders were the toughest challenges in the game. Good luck getting that going from Bethesda.

I just rebuilt Starlight Drive-In, Sanctuary, and Red Rocket. Can't believe what I was thinking in the early settlement days.

Will be testing out the survival mode after all the DLC's are loaded up. Should be a good challenge.
More than likely I will start a new file for Survival. The mods test just lugged down the system, as expected.

I'm counting down the minutes to the Vault-Tec Workshop....might be interesting at least for the construction, and story line.

The Vault-Tec workshop sounds like it has a lot more than I thought.  I'm not really into the settlement construction side of things (even though I collect resources like a packrat) so I was going to ignore it mostly but apparently it has quite a few quests attached as well.

I just hit Level 100 with my only character and I still found some small quests I hadn't done in a few areas I hadn't been back to in a while...  I am trying to start Uncharted 4 but I can't get away from this game...

• Like 2

holy shit, they're gonna give us a TON of room to build... i had to turn off the game tho, it's late and i got destroyed by a legendary deathscorpion :(... there might be much more to this than i thought as well, but i am not into the settlement thing so i am not sure how much i'll really get into this... i am level 64 or 65, and i am sitting on 5 perks that i haven't used yet :lol:...

I've been looking forward to this!  As you can guess, I'm very much into settlement building.  Will be interesting to see all the stuff we'll have available - after watching the trailer a few weeks ago, I have a few ideas in mind.

Yeah it's really fun. So much to do. Already cleared the dangerous obstacles. Not scrapping everything.
In doing so I found two exits, one to University Point Pharmacy, the other of which leads to my favorite place in the Commonwealth,

the parking garage maze of death near Milton Hospital. If you guys have never done the maze of death, I highly recommend it.
Totally psycho, full of traps, and things, but you'll earn a ton of XP. The reward for surviving is how I got the hot pink power armor for Nora.

• Like 1

yea i was impressed by how far the caverns stretch, and the new areas that seem to just keep popping up the deeper you go... there's definitely some high leveled baddies tho, so don't forget to bring a good weapon :)... i'll probably dip my toes into more of this after my double shift tonight... or i might play some hitman... hard to tell...

Very much impressed!  Quite surprised about how massive the caverns are.  It's funny that after every settlement I build/build up I say "this will be my last one for a while" which was my intention once I've finished Sanctuary Hills, yet there's always something that draws me back to it.  No way I can let all that space go to waste! :lol: 

Very pleased with all the new items and materials, so much so that I'm re-modelling/re-building my mansion at Sanctuary Hills again.  Says it all that the only thing I was disappointed with is that although you can now get an undamaged toilet, you can't get an undamaged bath. :ph34r:

I've finished the quests and obtained the 3 achievements for Vault-Tec Workshop.
Now it's time to reflect on the Shab way of doing things.

Yeah, I've no idea how to build a vault.
Mastered the art of settlement new housing, gardens, power, water, etc.....

But how in the hell do we build a proper vault?

Reflect on all the vaults we've ever seen in the last few games...to try and build a vault.
I got the massive 100 point Vault-Tec water pump going in the eastern cavern, and some gardens, so that be a start.....

first rule of thumb; in order to keep the first area uniform, build off the entryway/vault door that leads into the basin... it will help keep everything lined up and uniform... starting in the middle of the room would be most unwise :lol:...

take a walk thru 111 and 81, maybe it'll give you some ideas and pointers... that's what i am gonna do when i fire this up again...

My advice is take a look on Youtube for any settlement-building videos - as expected there's been vault-building videos gradually popping up on there.  Always good for ideas.

Taking a walk through existing vaults is a great idea to and can also advise to start building from the doorway - it can be an absolute pain in the arse when things don't line up!

I'm not building a vault myself just yet - more like a 'Vault Mansion'.  Decided to gradually scrap the one I was building as the vault materials are far better.

• Like 1

Fuck sakes, I still haven't even touched the contraptions building stuff, or got myself a battle arena from the DLC before that. I want to make a deathclaw sanctuary. I'm too busy levelling up 5 characters and collecting junk for them. 

• Like 1

I downloaded the Vault-Tech workshop last night, with the intention of quickly checking out the new stuff before bedtime...Turns out the Vault 88 area is crawling with raiders, but I didn't really come prepared so Macready and I got merked. My gal is still in Fah Hahbah vacation mode, skipping around in pretty-but-low-level Children of Atom armour, she needs to get back into the Commonwealth headspace and return with guns blazing.

On 2016-07-26 at 6:46 PM, Synch said:

...the parking garage maze of death near Milton Hospital. If you guys have never done the maze of death, I highly recommend it.
Totally psycho, full of traps, and things, but you'll earn a ton of XP. The reward for surviving is how I got the hot pink power armor for Nora.

Also, this. I remember the hospital but might've missed the parking garage. I bet Macready will look hawt in pink. :lol:

• Like 1

Expanding on my previous thoughts regarding giving settlers names, I think you should also be able to set their personality, hostility and/or targeting priorities, plus give them patrol routes and advanced AI (yeah advanced AI in a Fallout game.)

Also i've only just become bugged by something that hasn't bothered me since the game released - the fact that settlements have a boundary and anything outside of that cannot be scrapped for parts; "oh look there's several trees just outside of the base but just because there's some insivible, predefined green boundary here I can't use the wood from them. Guess we'll just have to go without those fences."

I had the idea that settlement borders were a bit more flexible, perhaps rather than having predefined settlements you can just choose a location somewhere in the world, plop down a marker that creates a sphere of influence which you could adjust to suit your build, expand it out to be quite large and claim more territory. Either that or have the option to scrap things outside of your settlement area.

Edited by ViceMan
  • Like 2

this fallout fan on twitter, we interact every now and then when it comes to fallout... but check out his vault tho :o...

i need to seriously get back into the wasteland and start working on mine B)... seeing stuff like this motivates me...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ViceMan said:

Expanding on my previous thoughts regarding giving settlers names, I think you should also be able to set their personality, hostility and/or targeting priorities, plus give them patrol routes and advanced AI (yeah advanced AI in a Fallout game.)

Also i've only just become bugged by something that hasn't bothered me since the game released - the fact that settlements have a boundary and anything outside of that cannot be scrapped for parts; "oh look there's several trees just outside of the base but just because there's some insivible, predefined green boundary here I can't use the wood from them. Guess we'll just have to go without those fences."

I had the idea that settlement borders were a bit more flexible, perhaps rather than having predefined settlements you can just choose a location somewhere in the world, plop down a marker that creates a sphere of influence which you could adjust to suit your build, expand it out to be quite large and claim more territory. Either that or have the option to scrap things outside of your settlement area.

Agree with every word - the settlement boundary in particular pisses me off the most, both in terms of not being able to scrap stuff outside the area and also the way the boundary runs.  It's been a problem at Sanctuary Hills where I'm building at the moment - I've 'encased' all the old houses but it proved problematic in one area as the boundary runs right close to the house and I've had to make a bodge job of it.

4 hours ago, bOnEs said:

this fallout fan on twitter, we interact every now and then when it comes to fallout... but check out his vault tho :o...

i need to seriously get back into the wasteland and start working on mine B)... seeing stuff like this motivates me...

Now that does look good!  I particularly like those sloped walls - not used them myself yet but may find a way to include them in my 'vault mansion'.

• Like 1

My character has been fucked over by the concussion/perception glitch where you lose 4 perception points after suffering a concussion but healing using a stimpack doesn't bring them back.  Not a game breaker but still annoying.  

I took stock of my crafting materials last night - over 10k steel and wood and at least 1500 of every other material and that is without clearing the scrap at 90% of the workshops.  Is that enough for a decent vault, you reckon?

• Like 2

On 7/28/2016 at 1:31 PM, shabbagaz said:

Taking a walk through existing vaults is a great idea to and can also advise to start building from the doorway -

it can be an absolute pain in the arse when things don't line up!

I'm not building a vault myself just yet - more like a 'Vault Mansion'.  Decided to gradually scrap the one I was building as the vault materials are far better.

Instead just loaded up Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

I kind of understand the layout of Vaults 112 (real small and simple)  and 22. {Bit more complex}

Looking at the current Fallout 4 Vaults, I'd have to go with 81 for the open cafe area, and remote reactor area.

I've only made hallways, stairs, doors and shit. Have like two domestic setups on 2nd floor, for settlers.

On the end of a tunnel leading to one of the exits, is this dude:

Sun_Jul_31_16-51-28_EDT_2016_zps6paqaxwz

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ginginho said:

My character has been fucked over by the concussion/perception glitch where you lose 4 perception points after suffering a concussion but healing using a stimpack doesn't bring them back.  Not a game breaker but still annoying.  

I took stock of my crafting materials last night - over 10k steel and wood and at least 1500 of every other material and that is without clearing the scrap at 90% of the workshops.  Is that enough for a decent vault, you reckon?

Possibly - just depends on what ideas you have in mind/how big you intend on building the vault etc.  Good thing is you have plenty of steel - I had scrapped everything in the caverns but still ended up using all the steel & had to buy more!   You'll probably need to stock up on more rubber - again this just depends on your intentions.  Although the vault building materials use very little, if you're building something big you can easily get through it all.

• Like 1

I scrap at a component level, which really helps. Those perks are always good when you level up.
Just from cleaning out Andrews Station and Joe Spuckies Sandwich Shop last night I came home

with 700 steel alone, plus the wood, rubber, etc. from all the raiders weapons.
Raiders almost always wear metal, (steel when scrapped) whether it be metal, raider, or robot armor.
Scavenging the wastes always yields a lot of steel, glass, and wood as well.

• Like 1

i need to rethink my vault building strategy... i couldn't figure out how to link rooms (now i know how to by using the matching doorways under the other categories) and i just generally didn't have a feel for what i wanted my vault to look like... i'm not gonna try and recreate the vault 81's and 111's of the world... instead i am just gonna make it smaller and more comforting and homely... think on the level of fallout shelter... but first, i severely need to go buy supplies... i was shocked how quickly i ran out of ceramic...

One tip is, if you're intending on linking the rooms (e.g. quarters, clinic, overseer etc) with the atrium rooms/walls is to use the supports and try and place them as accurately as you can near them.  Then you can place one of the rooms (quarters, clinic etc) on top of it and then you snap things together from there.  If that makes sense!

Edit: just a simple screenshot (and an un-interesting sneak preview of my vault-mansion!) showing how I've used a support(s) and how I've managed to transition from the normal 'atrium' materials to the actual room blocks.

Co9oJftWYAEyhYf.jpg

Edited by shabbagaz
  • Like 1