Ace Of Spades

Musical Instruments (Post pics of your gear)

Thanks King of Spades! My fav is definitely the Les Paul. However, when it comes to playing live shows I hardly use it for fear of beating it up really bad. (its 1 of 400 made like it) I mostly play that old 1986 Ibanez RG550 live. It stays in tune GREAT and takes a beating like none of my other guitars. My second favorite to play as far as tone and sound would probably be the SG. (i have a few more guitars, those are the ones i record/play with most often!)

• Like 2

Right on, i'd cherish that LP too tis a beaut. But i love the Signatureness of your explorer.

From that open mic night i talked aboot. I'm the one sittin on the left on account of that i am fat. I really love me my that tobacco Epi Les Paul though.

1016133_880960908595230_3822357794403317259_n.jpg?oh=4b9fa140735a2845325cd25d1d13b66e&oe=54B192D4

• Like 2

Those epis are still nice man! I had one for a while that had a decent top on it and it played pretty well. I ended up selling it to a buddy of mine because he really fell in love with it. I think it may have been made out of poplar (the body) with the maple top where the gibsons have mahogany. The old ones were solid, but they started chambering them (leaving a small gap inside so it has a chamber) in 2004 in some models and almost all models now. Mines a 2006 and was one of those guitar of the week releases when they were doing the reissues. (they call it a custom classic)

I hadent played the explorer in a long ass time because it was broken for many years. (body broke) So I'm really happy to have that thing up and going again. It still plays amazing and sounds great with the new pickups. I replaced the factory ones with a pearly gates in the bridge and a PAF classic in the neck.

ZYD_3439.jpg

Damn, I gotta say les pauls are my favorite guitar too look at. My Les Paul has me a bit exited because it's the first semi prestigious non knock off guitar I've bought. Though my lawsuit Memphis Strat is still the best playing guitar i've owned so far, thinnest neck too.

I've been hearing about those pearly gates pickups a lot lately they're really bright right?

Yeah they are really high output too compared to the PAF for sure. I like having the varied tone like that. Even with lower output pickups like on the les paul (mine has the 56 classics) i usually keep the volume knob on the neck pickup a little lower (at around 6 or so) for that style tone.

Those bigsby bridges are so old school! I bet its really hard to keep it in tune with any real use. (even most strats suck unless you lube the fuck outta the nut and stretch your strings well etc) I love whammy bars, but i hate breaking a string with one of those guitars live. It means change guitars as fast as you can because there is no playing it thru until end of song haha. I love stop tail piece guitars for sustain and tone better as well. I swear by that old RG550 I have for staying in tune and all the bridge parts staying free of fail since its all original parts even still (even the screws on the nuts arent stripped still!) I bought the guitar second hand at a pawn store it was all spray painted and a sloppy job so I cleaned it up and repainted it. Love that guitar! I've had it for maybe 12 years now. (the RG550)

• Like 1

Actually now that i think about it, i might just get a whammy compatible bridge for my Strat, actually funny story...So the Strat is a 76 Memphis lawsuit guitar, made in Korea owned by Yamaha. It had a bigger bore whammy hole (lol) anyway i guess all those years of being a guitar took it's toll on the bridge, not sure what the material was that the whammy went into but it we pretty brittle it would seem, pretty much shattered completely. It was a bummer, i think a fender bridge would probably fit, haven't checked though. Okay you got me it wasn't that funny.

Gotta be the Memphis, and i will tell you why! First off the neck on that guitar is the thinnest neck I've ever held aside from those 7 string metal guitars. Just feels great. Second as a blues/classic/hard rock style player the Strat just suits the style, it's the brightest strat i've ever played too, and there's lots of attack when i play it though The Vox vt40 i've got. Plus you know it's got the road wear and my personal touch, i'm sure you respect that last point (Y) Lotsa soul on that old 76. I'm actually gonna redo it a bit later this week. Take it all apart and fix the input jack, i'm gonna paint it again too. It's been repainted like 4 times already so i figure no harm done. Best $80 i've ever spent.

• Like 2

Beauties those are. Did you do that explorer or pay someone to do it up like that?

Also here's a teaser of things to come ;)

Oh yeah B)

Nice man! Loooking like a new guitar there.

Yeah I did it myself.  I first did a dip style swirl paint job on it with B/W then masked off the front and painted the back black.  The other artwork I drew on there with sharpies then put like 2 clear coats and then sanded etc and over the artwork I masked around with tape and sprayed some really good glow n the dark paints so that all of the artwork glows in the dark.  It actually turned out really well!  I put a lot of clear coats on it after that and did a lot of wet sanding etc to smoooooooooove that biotch.  When I got done i drilled out the volume pots and shit.  I ended up doing a custom layout instead of the default/stock one more to my preferences since I had to repair that part of the guitar lol.   (two volume knobs and switch, no tone!!!)  Also I like placing them slightly dif than the original was so that part turned out really cool.  All in all I really like it better now after the repairs than before lol.

Damn eh. Well you did one hell of a job sir! It's always a good thing to personalize a guitar because then it's impossible to sell, then you don't have to worry about it (Y) can't wait till I get my Memphis Strat painted and back together but you know $$ and such. That Tele plays amazingly and the Strat pickup layout is a unique touch too. I think I'm gonna keep it black on black but maybe with a polarized black pickgaurd. I also found this cool "Ace of spades" neck plate for it that looks like a playing card, all engraved and such. That'd be sweet...

Thanks man!

Yeah there's no way I'd everrrrr sell that guitar.  I've owned it for a really long time.  I broke it many years ago and kept it broken for like 10 years in a case? Started fixing it a little at a time and finally got done haha.  I get attached to guitars for sure.   If I really like one its staying with me forever.   That said ive sold a lot also when I get one and dont like it for whatever reason.    

That sounds cool for your customization ideas.   I pretty much fuck up every guitar i own eventually so I dont think about it like its a perm thing.  Its like a tool to do shit with! I've broken a few hammers also haha.  (but ive never repaired a hammer!!! but a few guitars lol)

I know what you mean, you play one of those special guitars and sudenlly it's destend to be yours. Like my Memphis, not the best playing guitar, not the best sounding but it's got a lot of soul and I mean for $80 it might as well be the best guitar I've ever gotten. It's like that old beaten dog that just needs a little love.

I think this topic should be moved and just changed to "Musical Instunents" that way it could cover technical stuff too. Moderators?

I think this topic should be moved and just changed to "Musical Instunents" that way it could cover technical stuff too. Moderators?

Welp, I'm not sure what an "instunent" is :P, but there's nothing stopping you guys from getting all technical in here too. No one's creamed themselves over River's collection of Marshalls yet.

• Like 1

Nothing can be used as evidence pre-caffeine.

Prosecutor: "The defendant killed John Smith"

Defendant: "I hadn't had my coffee yet."

Prosecutor: "Oh, my mistake."

Judge: "Well, that's settled. Case dismissed."

• Like 4