DozyGamer

Activision to acquire Take Two?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/it-would-be-a-no-brainer-for-activision-to-buy-gta/1100-6422012/

So some jerk-off analyst made comments that Activision should buy Take-Two and Take-Two's share price went up. This is bad. Let's just hope Take Two tells them to fuck off like they did with EA 6 years ago. If this happens Activison will milk GTA to death, Rockstar doesn't need corporate publishers to oversee their work and fuck things up.

Couldn't happen that way. At best, they'd end up merging, like Activision Blizzard. Activision does not have the money or weight to push Take-Two into pushing Rockstar into fucking up GTA any more than GTAO has. Activision would lose more than they'd gain, trying to make GTA into anything other than what Rockstar wants it to be.

Besides, do you really think Take-Two and Rockstar want to share all that money they're making from raping GTA?

But that's how wall street works, some asshat "analyst" makes a statement, and the media blows it up. Next thing you know the markets react to said bullshit and all of a sudden you're dealing with something real.

Ttwo is constantly rumored to be "bought out". Happens every year.

I did sell my shares though once it popped up. I made a couple hundred off the trade.... It'll probably be down Monday so I'll buy it again...

I was trying to figure out why it was up, I didn't see any news about it. If activision did buy out ttwo, I'd be ok with it tbh.

even if activision bought it, they probably wouldn't change how TT runs things... to my knowledge, they haven't pushed blizzard around since they bought them... i think they know that if something is working, don't mess it up...

The share price also went up after talks of a GTA movie, and Dan Houser believes the movie would be a step in the right direction as well.

Activision wants to create a movie studio to take advantage of its intellectual property rights on its franchises. The acquisition of Take-Two Interactive will provide access to IP rights of some of the most widely acknowledged video games, which would help Activision even further. If it owned IP rights to things like Red Dead, Max Payne, and Borderlands as well as GTA, it would certainly launch Activision in a new direction, and I'm sure the Houser brothers would have some sort of rights to those films, as authors do when their books become movies. If Activision plays this out right, the Housers would be seeing a lot more money coming in, as well as Activision and its studios, and with the recent success of GTA I don't see why it wouldn't surpass something like the Need for Speed movie, which had over $200 million in revenue.

In the end Take Two's biggest thing in mind is money, and if the price is right, they would certainly sell it off. For now it's just wait and see. Activision's share price has gone down a bit since the market closed Friday, but Take Two has remained pretty steady.

Activision also owns Bungie.

The share price also went up after talks of a GTA movie, and Dan Houser believes the movie would be a step in the right direction as well.

Link. No, I'm not finding it myself.

Rockstar has been saying for years they wouldn't do a GTA movie, but they certainly wouldn't need Activision for anything if they have indeed changed their minds. A GTA movie is a terrible idea, no matter who has the rights, but that's beside the point.

There's nothing worthwhile Activision could do for them that they couldn't ultimately do on their own. All they have to offer is money, just like EA, and Rockstar makes plenty on their own.

Link. No, I'm not finding it myself.

Rockstar has been saying for years they wouldn't do a GTA movie, but they certainly wouldn't need Activision for anything if they have indeed changed their minds. A GTA movie is a terrible idea, no matter who has the rights, but that's beside the point.

There's nothing worthwhile Activision could do for them that they couldn't ultimately do on their own. All they have to offer is money, just like EA, and Rockstar makes plenty on their own.

http://www.breathecast.com/articles/grand-theft-auto-movie-rumors-rockstar-in-talks-for-film-adaptation-weighs-pros-cons-19190/

http://www.bidnessetc.com/24886-taketwo-stock-rises-on-speculation-of-gta-movie-and-expected-activision-dea/

After the $2 billion in revenue, I doubt they'd pass up the chance at a few more hundred million in revenue for a movie, especially if done right.

• Like 1

Can you stop reinforcing my concerns that GTA V's success made them sellouts? Fuck, man, go to bed.

Also, the original Silent Hill (haven't seen the sequel) has been the only good video adaptation, thus far. Box office aside, Need for Speed was painful to watch. The deep pit of fail that is the game movie genre should keep Rockstar and GTA at bay, at least until Assassin's Creed and Warcraft are out. If those movies turn out well, then every game company is going to start making horrible decisions.

• Like 1

I'm trying to withhold judgement about their potential sellout status until GTA VI. I know GTAO is still one big, greedy pile of shit and shekels, but I'm not willing to declare time of death for GTA as a whole, yet.

It's not an easy pill to swallow when you were raised by GTA. A lot of us were.

• Like 2

I think indie studios and independent studios are making a big rise now though, and GTA is such a unique style in its own that someone will eventually create a new game that people will love, as much as it may suck to lose GTA, but I doubt that'll happened.

Another thing though, just look at the gear that Rockstar sells now...

Anyway, I always said I wanted a police sandbox, it's finally happening and a game called Police 10-13 is coming out next year. So there's a whole new generation of gaming to come anyway.

Indie studio Undead Labs renewed my faith in zombie games, so, yeah, if it comes to it, hopefully someone does the same with open-world crime games.

I could always start a studio of my own. Dup? bOnEs?

• Like 1

I'd be on board too, I could help run the business side of things a few years down the road, it'd be a cool concept of forum members coming together you know?

If you get involved, I'm kind of obligated to also hire GunSmith to be our weaselly accountant.

Our filthy, sniveling, gold-hoarding, universally-loathed utter scumbag accountant.

• Like 3

Can you stop reinforcing my concerns that GTA V's success made them sellouts? Fuck, man, go to bed.

Also, the original Silent Hill (haven't seen the sequel) has been the only good video adaptation, thus far. Box office aside, Need for Speed was painful to watch. The deep pit of fail that is the game movie genre should keep Rockstar and GTA at bay, at least until Assassin's Creed and Warcraft are out. If those movies turn out well, then every game company is going to start making horrible decisions.

Just like to point out that the Tomb Raider films were the best adaptation for me.

If you get involved, I'm kind of obligated to also hire GunSmith to be our weaselly accountant.

Our filthy, sniveling, gold-hoarding, universally-loathed utter scumbag accountant.

He could just be that PR rep for twitter

I'm trying to withhold judgement about their potential sellout status until GTA VI. I know GTAO is still one big, greedy pile of shit and shekels, but I'm not willing to declare time of death for GTA as a whole, yet.

It's not an easy pill to swallow when you were raised by GTA. A lot of us were.

For me, GTA is about the single player game, always has and always will be... GTAO is a nice extra and I would only consider R* sellouts if they focused on that, rather than developing an entirely new game. I have no problem with them hanging the hook out for idiots who will pay them extra to play a free game so my hope is that they will use the majority of the Shark card cash as development funds for GTA VI, and not for padding GTAO...

A movie would most likely be shit but there is a part of me that would like to see the actual cast of GTAV reprise their roles in a live action movie...

my hope is that they will use the majority of the Shark card cash as development funds for GTA VI, and not for padding GTAO...

I'm hoping for the same thing, but so far all we've gotten is insignificant fluff for GTAO, a year with no heists, and not a word about story mode DLC other than "soon" I'm having trouble being optimistic about it.

I agree about the fluff (where are the crime related updates? gangs and shit like that...) and story DLC although I think the online heists will end up being disappointing and I don't really give a fuck about them anyway... I reckon I will get more entertainment from reading the kids whining on the Social Club about no heists than I will from the heists themselves...

I wouldn't say no to more single player heists though... using your online characters as back-up..

even if activision bought it, they probably wouldn't change how TT runs things... to my knowledge, they haven't pushed blizzard around since they bought them... i think they know that if something is working, don't mess it up...

Activision's influence over Blizzard has been more than noticeable - WoW turning into an "all family all everybody" game, the initial decisions on how to monetize Diablo 3, the rushed out content... my last good experience with video games was with Blizzard, and it ended with them too.