Brian

Higher Education

So then why would you want to become a veterinarian? Not only is it demanding, but like I said it takes 10 years worth of schooling, give or take.

Because I've been in the field over three years and love it more than most things, and have always wanted to do it in the back of my mind. I have a learned a lot from my boss/mentor as far as recognizing illnesses and diagnostics, reading bloodwork, identifying X-rays, anatomy, surgery, etc. It comes pretty easy to me so far.

As a person who took a decade to do fuck all (drugs and video games) I fully support doing something that you find interest in, even if it isn't your life's work. Any knowledge you gain is something you can take into another field when inspiration hits. I had a go at being an actor, then a production designer/writer/film maker, which I have since given up on. But I now take all that knowledge and experience into my next field, which will be teaching.

Go for it Analog. You can always move onto something else if the mood takes you, be it product testing (animal torture), plastic surgeon (specified animal surgeon), or professional dog walker (professional dog walker).

• Like 2

Ha. Thanks. That's the way I see it. Everything has a place in this world so I don't let myself be uninterested in whatever I'm learning. It's all fascinating.

You're never too old to get more education, so I will surely keep my eyes set on other things even after my degree.

• Like 2

So then why would you want to become a veterinarian? Not only is it demanding, but like I said it takes 10 years worth of schooling, give or take.

10 years of learning is better than 10 years of being stuck in a dead-end job.

Analog, I'm unsure of how it is in America, but Veterinary Medicine is a highly competitive field in the UK, and only the highest calibre students are selected to undertake the degree. Often they require pre-qualifications equivalent to that required for medical and dental degrees, as well as undertaking a rigorous application process.

As long as you gots a credit card, there is an online college willing to give you a degree in anything....

Yeah, too bad no one in the real world acknowledges that degree,

They all seem like very boring jobs though. Wouldn't you prefer to get out in the open?

Historian? I've known no historian below the age of 50.

Do you want to be 50?

What you want to find is a job that feeds both the investigative and enterprising sides of your personality. A PI, fraud examiner or lawyer all feed the need to investigate, and allow you to specialize in some niche market where you charge whatever you want an hour.

• Like 1

Make your career something you enjoy, you'll be spending a considerable amount of your life doing it.

That's why I cook meth, harvest organs from hitchhikers, and provide bullet removal and other medical services to criminals who can't visit a legit doctor.

Business is good. Life is good.

A sculptor never works a day in his life.

I let it slip by the first time you said this, Indy, but I must beg to differ now that it's come up again. An artist may get a deep satisfaction and fulfillment practicing their craft, perhaps in greater depth than an average white- or blue-collar worker, but it's misleading to think art doesn't require hard physical labour or unavoidable drudgery as part of the process.

A sculptor never works a day in his life.

I let it slip by the first time you said this, Indy, but I must beg to differ now that it's come up again. An artist may get a deep satisfaction and fulfillment practicing their craft, perhaps in greater depth than an average white- or blue-collar worker, but it's misleading to think art doesn't require hard physical labour or unavoidable drudgery as part of the process.

Do something you love and never work a day in your life...