Brian

Higher Education

New York (esp. NYC and LI) are very diverse when it comes to industries. To be honest I do think my area offers among the best chances to make it, but it can be expensive to live here.

I think you over think way too many things for your age, don't assume anything at 15 or 16, at that age the only thing I knew for sure is that every morning I'd wake up with a boner - everything else was pure speculation and wrongness.

• Like 4

I would hate to live in ny. It stinks there, literally. Of the major cities ive been to, Minneapolis and Washington DC are my favorite.

I don't live in the city, but some areas are really nice. I love Downtown [Financial district and South Street seaport] and northern manhattan.

New York (esp. NYC and LI) are very diverse when it comes to industries. To be honest I do think my area offers among the best chances to make it, but it can be expensive to live here.

I think you over think way too many things for your age, don't assume anything at 15 or 16, at that age the only thing I knew for sure is that every morning I'd wake up with a boner - everything else was pure speculation and wrongness.

I live for the future, I look forward to it and it's really the only thing that motivates me in many things, to better myself for then, and once I'm happy I move onto another goal.

^ And he's an electrician, so, that's what your tuition money is going to get you.

Just buy a bunch of heroin and see where life takes you.

Historically being a sparky has been quite lucrative, at least here it has.

My advice; if you live in an industry town, do something outside of that industry that profits from it. For example, live in LA be an entertainment lawyer.

Absolutely invaluable advice. My town is an old wool town. in the 80's all that kind of shit was outsourced to foreign countries and employment is still ridiculously high because of it. Never work in something widespread in your town cause if it gets outsourced there are a surplus of you. Like Cuda mentioned, assuming your in anything for the long haul is a terrible idea.

^ And he's an electrician, so, that's what your tuition money is going to get you.

Im a business owner, who is an electrician.

Electrician is an excellent job. My point was that people spend years working toward degrees, and most end up in a completely different line of work.

I know a guy with an archaeology degree who fixes computers for a living.

• Like 1

I'm going back to school in the Fall to get my bachelor's in Business Admin. Going through the accelerated bridge program designed to get your degree and maintain a full-time job.

Its one 4 hour class - one night a week - for 5 weeks. Could potentially earn 27 credit hours per year.

And it qualifies for the full tuition reimbursement program at my job, so why not?

Im a business owner, who is an electrician.

Electrician is an excellent job. My point was that people spend years working toward degrees, and most end up in a completely different line of work.

I know a guy with an archaeology degree who fixes computers for a living.

I wouldn't draw the conclusion that going to college isn't helpful though. It teaches a process of thinking that can be used no matter what you are doing, even hooking.

I majored in economics but I got the most out out of two psych classes in undergrad and all the marketing and management classes I had to take as part of my MBA..

But if anyone is thinking I'm going to college, getting a degree in finance and be hired and make a lot of money is mistaken. You can't teach experience.

You won't make money right out of college with any job, that's a given. It takes years upon years of learning and working. However, despite what you say, banking and the economy is never going away. Sure, the market took a hit in 2008, and now it's bouncing back. People are once again investing, we have more and more people entering the world and an entire new generation on the way. The market will always take its hits and then bounce back. Finance and investing is a great field to work in as long as you know what you're doing.

I have a BSc. (Hons) Medical Biochemistry and am currently in my second year of graduate medicine, so I've been in higher education for 5 years now. After this I want to be a surgeon, hopefully trauma and orthopedics but plastics also interests me.

An artist never works a day in his life, because his job is his hobby. Surgeons are narcissistic egomaniacs and many of them suffer from some form of psychosis, but they enjoy what they do, and that's what I want out of my career.

I wholeheartedly agree with the things that Cuda and QD have written about education. Do not think that what you are learning is necessarily applicable to your life or career. However, you will adapt the way you think and your thought process will change. From this, you will become smarter and better at most things you do. In my opinion, that is the true achievement of education. This is not to say that you need education to think this way, but it certainly helps.

You won't make money right out of college with any job, that's a given. It takes years upon years of learning and working. However, despite what you say, banking and the economy is never going away. Sure, the market took a hit in 2008, and now it's bouncing back. People are once again investing, we have more and more people entering the world and an entire new generation on the way. The market will always take its hits and then bounce back. Finance and investing is a great field to work in as long as you know what you're doing.

This is not necessarily true. Some of my friends have gone straight into high paying jobs, mostly through graduate or training schemes. Some law firms will pay trainee solicitors upwards of £30,000 per annum. My friend is currently training as a store manager for one of the large supermarket companies, and she has started on £26,000, within 2 years she will become a store manager. Store managers can earn anywhere between £40,000 to £100,000+ depending on the size of the store.

Some evidence: http://www.hrmagazine.co.uk/hro/news/1016883/tesco-graduate-recruits-earn-figures-age

If you're looking to make money straight after college and don't give a fuck if your job sucks, then there are definitely opportunities out there.

Well, I can understand that, but the average person takes a few years to get a large enough pay raise for it to be considered "well-paying". Also, once again I am referring to my area as well, where $100,000 is really just upper middle class here, and even then after taxes and expenses you're not left being "wealthy".

There is an over supply....

The finance sector might bounce back some, but not like 2008. The United States has made it illegal to trade the types of securities that were making them all that profit..

You really don't know what you're talking about do you... The dow is at it's highest ever and the hosting market is making a huge boom once again. Recovery doesn't happen overnight. Look at the crash of the 80's and compare that to 2008. Then look at what happened in between.

I majored it in. The price of the dow doesn't correlate to the pay of most of the people who work in the financial sector of the economy. Having three times as many accountants for an economy growing at three percent will reduce wages paid to those accountants...

One of the few job markets I see getting too many is law, that's about it right now. MBA's too as a degree. If you take a more specified major though you're bound to do better, still among the top jobs in the country. Being an accountant and being a broker do not correlate either.

Interesting you talk about lawyers getting overpaid, the lawyers I've talked to would beg to differ. Some lawyers get paid well... But most work for lawfirms or corporations where the pay isn't as high as you'd think especially considering it can cost more than 100 grand to get a law degree...

The only education you need is iGTA, where a thread for advice about education will turn into a debate over the state of the economy and job market...

Choosing a degree without considering what the job market will be like would be foolish. It should definitely be part of the discussion

I'm not talking about lawyers getting overpaid, I'm talking about the amount of graduates obtaining law degrees and trying to find a job in that field...

Unless you want to do a specific profession (law, medicine, dentistry etc.), the degree can be irrelevant. There are many companies out there who hire based on the fact that you simply have a degree, and do not care what the specialty of that degree is. I know people with Biology degrees working in management.

Surgeons are narcissistic egomaniacs and many of them suffer from some form of psychosis

I really should've been a surgeon.

People you've only met only once are willing to let you cut them open, placing their lives' in your hands. The power (and responsibility) is amazing.