Brian

Higher Education

It was from the

Mission with Amanda at the therapist

Anyway back to the topic...

Is it better to dorm or to rent a place off campus?

Not sure about the US but generally here you strive for dorms and then with the friends you [hopefully] made in the dorms you get a place for yourselves in the second year.

I think that before applying to college, like Dozy said, you should try and understand what you want and who you are.

Are you passionate about a certain profession? Or just about money? A lot of people go into uni and take degrees they aren't even sure about, ultimately becoming unfulfilled, we seem to think that just by reaching a certain yearly income, we will be happy, but the truth is we do spend most of our lives working (try not to get depressed now...), so you should at least try to find something that makes work (mostly) a joy.

I have never been one for the academic life, in uni I just realized I wanted to get things done and fuck off, uni is boring. During my high school years I kept hearing things like "uni is much cooler, you'll pick an area and just focus on classes you like!", fuck that, uni is even broader than high school, my engineering classes spanned across wayyyy too many areas, 50% of those I could not give 2 shits about.

Don't see your classes as something similar to what you'll be doing once you get a job, I like my job and it has basically nothing to do with my uni classes, but I do understand that it was my degree that opened doors for me to get the job - that's what a uni degree is, a door opener. At the same time, don't turn into one of those douches - "fuck uni, these classes have no real use in the real world!!" - wrong, wrong, fucking wrong. These boring ass classes that seem to only be there to fuck your brain and make you feel stupid are what's going to make you ready for the real world, where competition is fierce.

I made it a mission in uni to take in as much math classes as possible, 99% of it is useless to me today, it's not like I'm going to ever need to bust out multiple integrals... but the challenge is great, it sharpens your mind, the harder it is, the better you become. The stress of passing these classes and the study requirements they demand put you in a better position once you find challenges in your job, uni can't prepare you 100% for the problems you'll encounter during your professional life, but those 3-5 years should at least challenge you and smooth out the transition to a job - so don't take only easy classes.

• Like 6

*doesn't read wall of text*

This is why I didn't finish high school.

Ok just read it. I take it back. This is good advise. If I had the option for secondary education I would have liked information like this.

Edited by Rob

I take mostly business electives, I love investing, and finance definitely seems like something I want to major in.

On the other hand i love traveling and really like Europe, and international relations/business also seems like something I would enjoy.

I feel like location is a huge thing, and it all comes back to connections.

Living in New York, I think I have a much better chance of finding a job with a degree like that compared to someone from Virginia, just how it is. I don't know what Q has done or decided though so I can't speak for him. Electricians aren't going away, and if you know what you're doing you can live comfortably.

There was a plumber from here who made $300K one year and the next year he barely made $50k

• Like 1

New York (esp. NYC and LI) are very diverse when it comes to industries. To be honest I do think my area offers among the best chances to make it, but it can be expensive to live here.

^ And he's an electrician, so, that's what your tuition money is going to get you.

Just buy a bunch of heroin and see where life takes you.

Im a business owner, who is an electrician.

I'll admit I've been luckier than most. Qualified for national merit on my PSAT, so there's tuition paid right there, and OKlahoma State said i could try out for a walk on spot on the practice squad. Not sure if I want to play football anymore, there's no fucking chance in hell I'd ever get off that practice squad.

Living in New York, I think I have a much better chance of finding a job with a degree like that compared to someone from Virginia, just how it is. I don't know what Q has done or decided though so I can't speak for him. Electricians aren't going away, and if you know what you're doing you can live comfortably.

There was a plumber from here who made $300K one year and the next year he barely made $50k

Financial analysts, bankers, managers, ect arent getting paid like they used to. Part of that is because of the financial crisis and the other part is that everyone is getting a degree in business. Its not a limited supply occupation...

Financial analysts, bankers, managers, ect arent getting paid like they used to. Part of that is because of the financial crisis and the other part is that everyone is getting a degree in business. Its not a limited supply occupation...

• Like 1

I am studying towards a business degree at the moment - one paper a semester because I am lazy and I am only doing it because it was a condition of a promotion at work and they are paying for it...

If you have the money, I would recommend taking a year off before college to actually go out and live life... Get outside your comfort zone and try things that are different... You will have a better understanding of how life really is and will give you ideas about what is really important and what to aim for...

As to what to study, I don't know.... I am biased against the banking and finance industries (hate the cunts) but that is where you can make the most money, I reckon... But aim for enjoyment. You don't work a day in your life if you really enjoy what you do....

• Like 1