Brian

Hobbies and Projects

Recently started working on a sword, also use this to post pics of any projects you're working on from home to car to whatever.

Put spoiler tags due to size of photos, not nearly done. Will take some more photos tomorrow of what I worked on today.

Been using sand paper, emery cloth, and a steel wheel attachment for power tools. Going to start with 80 grit to get into the metal and remove the rust, once all the dark spots you see are gone, will begin moving up with 100 grit, 120, 150, 180, and so on until I reach 2500.

History on the sword

German made around 1880 for Argentinian military.

• Like 1

Looks good man. I like to build stuff and restore things also. Tis fun! This is a guitar cab 2x12 that I designed and built. (if you go to the begining of the bucket you can see the build process etc and materials used)

http://photobucket.com/madcab

I recently added a grill over the speakers (grill cloth is removable!) so that when I record I can see the speakers and get a better idea of where to start with mic placement etc.(to keep from poking holes in it with the mic getting bumped, or while traveling haha)

http://i90.photobuck...zps3a2d19e3.jpg

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee396/bensphotography/Cab/ZYD_4458.jpg

• Like 2

More of a home improvement question and not any DIY stuff but:

We need much of our apartment renovated. White walls have become discolored, wood floors are worn and scratched up, the kitchen tiles and oven need to be replaced and the bathroom could use a touch up too. We also need new AC units.

When stuff like this is getting done, I assume you usually relocate for a few days?

You don't have to, I wouldn't...

I didn't realize we had this topic...

Painting if done by a professional should take a day or two, unless you have a real old house with those old wooden windows ect that need a lot of sanding

Tiling takes 2-3 days should be done after the painting is done..

Everything else can be wrapped up in a day..

Two weeks real time cause people are slow

• Like 1

My mom is saying that to actually get this place really nice they'd have to gut the entire apartment out. The window sills have warped, nails are slightly protruding through the ceiling, etc.

Really the biggest problem areas would be the kitchen and bathroom. We'll get those two done, but my mom is saying it's not worth doing the entire apartment cause I'll be moving into my own place in Florida in about a year and she might move out of here too. 

She also thinks we'll be charged, but we've been here for nearly seven years and don't own the place. Most of what needs to be fixed isn't our fault.

Well, moving is expensive as is, and like I said I'm moving out on my own in about a year. I really want the place touched up so I could have people over and stuff, but I know my mom doesn't care all that much about it.

I made the mistake of putting money into something I didn't own....

Maybe just threaten to move if the landlord doesn't get his shit together...

• Like 1

Collecting playing cards...shuffling card tricks etc. Proper cool...

post-57-0-16795600-1447974625_thumb.jpg

post-57-0-67022500-1447974646_thumb.jpg

Still trying to master the fan...

post-57-0-79540700-1447974737.jpg

Best I've got it so far.

• Like 2

I have a modest collection too. Seven decks so far. They're all from Bicycle. The red one is the Karnival 1984 deck.

I like Rubik's Cube like puzzles.

This is my collection:

y42xbIg.jpg

You will notice I have 2 3x3 puzzles in there that are very similar - One of them rotates much faster (so faster to complete).

I'm looking into acquiring a 7x7 now or a Gigaminx.

• Like 1

I'm not really into "speed cubing".

With that said, probably around a minute now. I've thought about investing some time into some advanced techniques like F2L... But yeah, time and patience, maybe with this new 3x3 I'll get around to it. Would be nice to get it down to at least 30 seconds, pretty sure anything below that enters the field of craziness though.

My 3x3 rubiks time is about 1:30. I know all the basic algorithms, but learning advanced technique seems like too much dedication right now. I'll definitely get onto it though, maybe during my 2 week Christmas break.

I like to do English Calligraphy by the way, i'm still very new to it. I just enjoy putting nib to paper. I don't use guidelines because of the effort involved, so I've been playing around with more flexible fonts. Although, I would love to master Copperfield.

My favourite hobby is the gym. Been going seriously for about 14 months now. I finally hit the 100kg 5x5 squat, my bench is about 90kg 5x5, and I'm still building up my deadlift, but 120kg 5x5 is probably about my max. I've been mixing up the 5x5 strength programme with a hypertrophy programme to target weaker areas.

• Like 1