Sign in to follow this  
Chopper Gunner

Helicopter handling/control

Hey guys I just wanted to come on here and get your opinions on the new helicopter handling/control Rockstar has put in GTA 5. I made a video of the buzzard several days back and in the comments, there were a lot of people complaining that the helicopters 'suck' now compared to GTA 4. But all these guys were competitive pilots/dogfighters from GTA 4 and I just think that most of them are upset to be out of their comfort zone.

So I just wanted to hear from some guys who werent necessarily harcore into the piloting aspect of GTA 4 and get their take on the GTA 5 helicopters. Do you think Rockstar pushed the realism too far? Do you feel that its ridiculously hard for you to fly from point A to point B? Please keep in mind that Im refering to how a heli feels when you fly it with a character with full flying skill. Thanks for reading..

i was a master at flying in GTAIV, these new controls do take getting used to... i think the biggest challenge is trying to stick a landing, it's kind of hard to line it up for me at the moment, but like you said, i am out of my comfort zone... it's just gonna take some getting used to...

Even with flying skill maxed at 100%, I find aircraft in V to be really wobbly. I don't mind the occasional pull of a 'realistic' wind gust, but it seems really difficult to fly a heli smoothly because of the constant rolling wobble.

I'm chiming in to echo bOnEs and gtagrl. I considered myself an ass-kicking heli pilot in IV and have had some trouble adjusting to V, but probably just haven't had enough time on task yet. And the wobbling is a bit troublesome, but I'm (slowly) learning how to counteract it, primarily with the tail rotor.

i can fly ok, i do think even at 100% skill the wobble is abit much, doesn't seem to drop at all.

flying itself is fairly easy, i just find the "turbulence" a little off putting, particularly while trying to do something, i.e not hit a building.

never found the helicopters in iv very fun to fly, at least the wobble makes things interesting for a change, no boring flights as you have to correct what the wobble has messed up, would just be nicer if it wasn't so often imo

turbulence in the mountains makes perfect sense, mountains are generally a dangerous place to fly due to winds creating a lot of turbulence.

lack of turbulence in the city doesn't really make sense because all the facades basically turn streets into wind tunnels and the highrises deflect the flow of air, so you should get a decent amount of turbulence flying through downtown aswell. not to mention the thermal aspects of ground heating during daytime, all the concrete/brick surfaces heat up quite a lot, creating a similar turbulence pattern as seen over deserts, great amount thermal updrafts.

plus we're in a costal area which is generally prone for turbulence.

but all in all, the turbulence is a tad too overdone imho. Nice idea to put it in to make the flying a bit more realistic and challenging, but it's almost everytime, everywhere, at the same strength which isn't quite realistic.

I've read somewhere that an increased flying skill should help with flying straight, but as far as I can tell this might as well be a placebo.

It seems to me tho that the faster you're going, the easier it is to fly straight

The flying in this game is great. Don't let the vibrations in your controller fool you, the turbulence wobble is basically just a visual effect, just ignore it and it won't fuck with your flying at all, even if you're using Micheal or Franklin. I'm using the motion sensor function though so my experience may differ from others.

Two words of advice for those having difficulty piloting aircraft: Flying School.

Also, fly low. Less turbulence.

I use motion sensor because I've used it for years and have gotten to a point where I can find it fun. If you aren't use to the motion sensor it might be a pain. All I can say is that six-axis is very touchy in this game so be gentle.

Good luck.

I only ever liked motion control for boats in IV, but for V I'll try anything to make flying helicopters more enjoyable. I might actually like the planes better for once.