narcolepsy

Online is gonna be pay2win [GTFIH]

Somebody did some snooping around and found a bunch of evidence that suggests you'll be able to buy cash.

We all have read some comments in the subreddit about it's quite hard making money in the game, properties are not very profitable, and the missions that affect the stock market seem to be too few and too early.

I think I might have found why. When you open the store section in the pause menu, it says there is nothing available yet, but the console requests this file.

It's a plain XML file where you will see that besides of the downlodable content from the special editions, there are 4 so-called "cash cards", ranging from $100,000 to $1,250,000.

I may be wrong and I sincerely hope I am, but to me this looks like the explanation of why it's so hard to make money in the game: at some point (when GTAO starts?) you're supposed to buy game money with real money :(

This seems very un-Rockstar-y to me, so I want to believe there are other plausible explanations:

• It's just a test, since it was not supposed to be public. Maybe something used internally?
  • They are redeemable items, not something you buy with real money. Maybe the prizes of some Social Club sweepstakes?

tl;dr: making money is hard because you're supposed to buy game money with real money at some point

xml file sez the following

"Cash is king in this town. Solve your money problems and help get what you want across Los Santos and Blaine County with the purchase of cash packs for Grand Theft Auto Online. All purchased cash is automatically deposited into your character’s bank account. Spend wisely, cash therapy is fleeting."

Imgs of cards:

PtoNunr.png

AklmqE4.png

5DBrFGs.png

huXjZmu.png

brb 100%ing and selling game

Alternatively it's a fast-track method for people that don't have the time to grind money. I don't have an issue with that, as long as it doesn't give an unfair advantage. It depends what sort of scale we're talking about with cash and what you're able to do it. It's one solution to the issue with previous games where people who are able to spend hours and hours ranking up get a massive advantage over casual players/people just starting out. Let's wait and see first...

Un-Rockstar-y or not, micro-transactions are worth a lot of money. Everyone is doing it.

• Like 4

buying cash still doesn't improve your skills though... you can have all the money in the world, but if you can't shoot, you're fucked...

brb, buying rpg's, moltovs, helicopters all that shit

buying cash still doesn't improve your skills though... you can have all the money in the world, but if you can't shoot, you're fucked...

You don't need skills to grind cash either, though. There will inevitably be easy ways of making money that mean you just need to spend hours repeating the same mission over and over.

I'm starting to think R* built this game mostly for online purposes, some of the features are not even that relevant in the main game like Strength and Stealth - like they didn't have a huge effect on the game.

Alternatively it's a fast-track method for people that don't have the time to grind money. I don't have an issue with that, as long as it doesn't give an unfair advantage. It depends what sort of scale we're talking about with cash and what you're able to do it. It's one solution to the issue with previous games where people who are able to spend hours and hours ranking up get a massive advantage over casual players/people just starting out. Let's wait and see first... Un-Rockstar-y or not, micro-transactions are worth a lot of money. Everyone is doing it.

True but they have at least made hundreds of millions in profit on sales alone- these micro transactions in online will tend to piss a lot of people off.

Tell me about it....

Smart business move to be honest. So many people say they don't expect R* to be like this but, it's a company looking to make profit and this is also their first major online game with features like that which are relevant to gameplay (unlike the cash system in IV for ranking).

Its Rockstar, hopefully its not true and if it its, maybe they might change it if it gets enough negative feedback. Remember, the heads at Rockstar did say that they would rather make an enjoyable, long lasting game then market that instead of your average pay to win game.

You don't need skills to grind cash either, though. There will inevitably be easy ways of making money that mean you just need to spend hours repeating the same mission over and over.

yea, but you'll be improving your skills while you grind for cash... being handed free money only gets you so far... sure you can buy fancy things, but if you can't use them properly it's just a waste of money until the skill finally catches up to you... i guess you could also lend them to friends with better skills too...

Its Rockstar, hopefully its not true and if it its, maybe they might change it if it gets enough negative feedback. Remember, the heads at Rockstar did say that they would rather make an enjoyable, long lasting game then market that instead of your average pay to win game.

Yeah, but they did say gta v was all about money, hence the money art in the v...

"Do you have more money than sense? Then please send all of you hard earned trust fund to Rockstar Games, in exchange we'll give you the means to beat all those poor uncivilized people who are only elite at games more so than you because they have no jobs, no friends, and no life. You have money for a reason, because you deserve to be the best. Pay now"

Genius move by Rockstar if true imo. Look at the mobile companies reeking in millions a week on their shitty ass Android and Facebook games, time for Rockstar to get in on the action like EA have done on their sports games, yeah it gives a slight advanced to the idiots out there willing to spend money to buy virtual cash/items, but you can't buy skill, and hey, Rockstar have earnt their bonuses and need to build a budget up for their next gen games, if stupid people want to waste their money, and they don't want to give it to me, then the next best option is to let Rockstar have it.

Plus, you can just rob them if they're stupid enough not to bank it. . . I think.

This would completely defeat the revolutionary, vastly entrepreneurial theme of GTA V that Rockstar have spent the last two years touting. The game focuses on the pursuit of the almighty dollar. To me, "pursuit" describes something more than punching in a credit card number and hitting Buy Now. "Pursuit" refers to meticulously planning elaborate, daring heists and enjoying the satisfaction of executing them. To go from the painstakingly player-driven experience of moneymaking to being able to achieve the same boast-worthy bankroll with a total lack of skill, participation, or effort would be a step down and a letdown. It'd be pointless, it'd be futile, and above all, it'd be un-Rockstar-like.

I can't see them doing this.

• Like 1

Any chance this will be unused content that they chose to not use and its just left on their website like deleted missions can be found in the games code?

From today's Newswire update (Don't shoot, I'm just a messenger):

Reputation and Cash Flow: Reputation is earned from all your online exploits in everything you do in GTA Online – and will help you rank up, providing access to new features, weapons and criminal contacts. Spend cash you’ve gained on cars, clothes, guns, properties and much more. You can either quickly accumulate cash through profitable activities like knocking over armored cars, winning street races, doing stick-ups or a host of other cash-making endeavors – or if you’re the completely instant gratification type, you can choose to buy denominations of GTA$. You will have the option to purchase GTA$ through the in-game Store. The game and its economy have been designed and balanced for the vast majority of players who will not buy extra cash. There is no in-game paywall and nothing that should disrupt the balance of the game. You don’t have to spend real money to attain the cars, guns, clothes, flash and style of a high-roller in Los Santos, but can if you wish to get them a little quicker. The economy is balanced differently from the single player economy, and cash earned in one cannot be taken over to the other. Most players will earn cash much faster Online than in Story Mode.

Only if you're incompetent. Some kid can buy millions of dollars to get a rocket launcher and a Cheetah and whatever else, but I can still headshot him with a lowly pistol if I think he's going to try to interfere with my honest earning. People can do what they please, I don't care. It's not going to ruin my fun. If anything, this is a good sign for honest players, because people dumb enough to buy in-game money are likely dumb enough to not immediately go to an ATM, and I will happily murder and rob them.

It's a shame Rockstar sunk to this level, but I support anything that takes money from people who are too stupid to have it.

• Like 4