NeelReel

Car Handling and Physics

Although, a couple of times I have driven a brand new car into a high speed head on with a truck and the engine fucks out on me, not totally but my controller rumbles constantly and it loses performance, even though the external damage appears minimal. I find wheels and tyres die a lot easier as well...

Driving can feel arcade-like at times but I am usually having too much fun to give a fuck...

I actually think GTA V walks the line between reality and fantasy very well.

• Like 1

As I was off-roading with my jeep (canis) I noticed that it got progressively harder to clime mountains. Once I got to the top I went flying down and was able to stop quite a bit but still somehow managed to hit my front left end on the street fence. But as I was driving back to my house my jeep would start up.....then go......then start up....then go (the engine would shut off for about 3 seconds then start up again over and over), which made it difficult to get home. What was that? Was that an engine issue? If so that is fucking awesome. AND I got out of my Jeep to go pick up a dead cops gun, then once I got back in it was all better.

Pretty sure I told you to fuck off after your last spamming spree. I have no idea why you're still around.

On topic, I have no idea what cars you've driven if low acceleration and zero grip on the road seems realistic to you. Maybe you're a shit driver? I've never had any issues like that in a real car.

icon11.gif

Kuz raised (albeit was copy and pasted) an excellent point. It should be black and white. Realistic or not. And if realistic is the direction they go in, it won't be a game I buy. I've had the game just over a week and already i've had more fun and spent close to the same amount of time playing GTA V as I did IV. BTW the driving in GTA IV wasn't realistic. Everything handled like you had bald tyres on wet muddy roads. If you're from some backwards ass town where the tyres have less treads than you have teeth, fair enough, but no car controls like that with good tyres and dry roads.

naw i felt it was realistic. look at gran tourism. thats a sim and its way harder than gta 4.

In 5, its easier but not that much. i like it.

I'm surprised this discussion is still going. If you don't like driving then don't drive. You could walk, run, ride, fly, sail or jet ski. It's a brilliant game and many of the issues have been addressed from IV.

• Like 2

"The issue here is not so much the physics in my mind; rather, it's the fact GTA is inconsistent in how it handles the world in general.

Your health is low (realistic).

NPC health is low and can be KO'd by a single punch or knife strike (realistic).

Running speed is slow (realistic).

Bicycling speed is slow (realistic).

The slightest mistake on foot means death.

And now, we transition to cars:

Car health is incredibly high and you are basically invincible while moving.

Car damage takes forever to develop.

Cars cannot be permanently flipped (you can easily flip them back).

Cars are basically glued to the ground.

No matter if you like/dislike the driving in this game, you have to admit there's a disparity here. The transition from realistic to arcade is instant. And that, to some people, is problematic.

Consistency is the answer. I don't believe anyone who has played Saints Row 4 would be complaining about unrealistic physics, because the game is entirely unrealistic. However, this is not the case in GTA:V.

One moment, you die from taking 3 or 4 bullets from police on foot. The next, you're being chased for half an hour because police can't stop your car no matter their best efforts.

One moment, you die from being clipped by a car going 20 mph. The next, you're doing 90 degree turns in an SUV going full speed.

I urge everyone to think about this situation from this perspective. If the game was entirely unrealistic, I don't believe as many people would be complaining. But the game is filled with attempts at being realistic -- heck, look at the activity choices: Tennis, golf, yoga ... etc.

But then, you are taken from that "realistic" mindset and thrown into a completely unrealistic set of circumstances with no real reasoning as to why. It's as though on-foot gameplay and activities were developed by an entirely different studio than the driving mechanics.

From gta forum user "Rafe" trying to explain why challenging gameplay mechanics benefit us in the long run.

The question is one of game design. GTA 4 had great driving but it was by no means perfect. Many criticisms should not be easily dismissed regarding the exaggerated control characteristics. However this same dynamic enriched gameplay as driving at high speeds was rather dangerous, you were constantly on the edge of losing controls in turns thus the brake panel actually had to be utilized with high frequency in maneuvering. This increased the complexity of driving and made for a more fulfilling experience.

The problem is that most modern gamers want immediate fulfillment in their driving experience. I have watched many people play racing games and i don't think you will have any trouble finding examples of people going too fast into turns, smashing into other cars to slow themselves down or grinding the side of their vehicles down on buildings or walls to stay on track. At these moments you have failed, you're not playing the game you are holding down the accelerator. The mechanic of holding down an accelerator requires relatively low skill and in regards to the realism vs arcade debate it illustrates that this is really about constraints vs unconstrained gameplay, about a game vs a sandbox.

Is GTA a game or just a sandbox? Should we get punished when we fail? When there is a prospect of failure the rewards of success(escape from cops) are that much more valuable.

I think this demonstrates a general trend in teh gaming industry that as games, like movies, become more popular you integrate larger and larger populations of individuals into the market. The problem is these people have very little sophistication and gaming experience and as such you have to increase teh simplicty to make media more accessible, in the end complexity and thus game-play are sacrificed to satiate the mass market.

GTA 4 driving was still some of the best even though supercars needed better performance characteristics. Accidents were spectacular and often unpredictable when you took excessive risks and drove too fast. Ultimately this made gameplay more spontaneous and less linear which is not what arcade games tend to provide. Gameplay was less predictable which increased the replayability of GTA driving."

So true. So very, very true...

-_-

Keep that proud american ass shit over where it belongs. Dont pollute these forums with tl/dr.

Driving in gta 4 sucked, driving in gta 5 is fun.

• Like 1

Pretty sure I told you to fuck off after your last spamming spree. I have no idea why you're still around. On topic, I have no idea what cars you've driven if low acceleration and zero grip on the road seems realistic to you. Maybe you're a shit driver? I've never had any issues like that in a real car.

Maybe you just think a little harder then, not to complicated as to why I am still around. Okay fine I'll give you a hint. Do you think I am going to listen to somebody who rages at people all day for no reason? :bird:

You're an idiot.
Vice versa.
If you don't like the driving physics, go nicely ask your mommy to take you back to Toys R' Us and FUCKING RETURN IT.

I am 18 and bought the game at GameStop. But uh, nice guess. And the driving isn't to bad, the only part when it's bad is when you are driving a sports car.

You're an idiot.
Vice versa.

Ha, well it looks like your not getting the hint...Okay fine here's a hint, do you think I would listen to someone who rages at every fucking single post on this website? Do you think I would listen to someone that bashes on people just because they don't believe in what you believe in?

I'm sure you wish you were capable of getting me to rage. Sadly, you are not. You will listen to me, however, because it is my job to enforce the rules, and I'll be the one handling your punishment should you fail to follow them. Stay on topic.

• Like 1

Yeah, but your'e wrong. You were complaining about the driving before you drove.

It's not that fun because driving is about 70% of the game, and if that's ruined then the game is missing a lot. Another thing that is disappointing for an example is how you can upgrade your car to get better brakes and shit. Why would I want to spend money on "better" brakes. All that would do would allow me to stop even more unrealistically quicker which in return, instead of spending money on your car, you are spending money for further disappointment. And by the way, driving off a 500 ft mountain and not getting a scratch is not realistic.

Weren't you the one who had already decided the driving was shit before the game was released?

Yes and what do you know, I was right all along.

He also claimed he had canceled his pre-order. I assume he's only sticking around to troll at this point.

I did cancel it. But after hearing about the good story missions I went back and bought it

"The issue here is not so much the physics in my mind; rather, it's the fact GTA is inconsistent in how it handles the world in general.

Your health is low (realistic).

NPC health is low and can be KO'd by a single punch or knife strike (realistic).

Running speed is slow (realistic).

Bicycling speed is slow (realistic).

The slightest mistake on foot means death.

And now, we transition to cars:

Car health is incredibly high and you are basically invincible while moving.

Car damage takes forever to develop.

Cars cannot be permanently flipped (you can easily flip them back).

Cars are basically glued to the ground.

No matter if you like/dislike the driving in this game, you have to admit there's a disparity here. The transition from realistic to arcade is instant. And that, to some people, is problematic.

Consistency is the answer. I don't believe anyone who has played Saints Row 4 would be complaining about unrealistic physics, because the game is entirely unrealistic. However, this is not the case in GTA:V.

One moment, you die from taking 3 or 4 bullets from police on foot. The next, you're being chased for half an hour because police can't stop your car no matter their best efforts.

One moment, you die from being clipped by a car going 20 mph. The next, you're doing 90 degree turns in an SUV going full speed.

I urge everyone to think about this situation from this perspective. If the game was entirely unrealistic, I don't believe as many people would be complaining. But the game is filled with attempts at being realistic -- heck, look at the activity choices: Tennis, golf, yoga ... etc.

But then, you are taken from that "realistic" mindset and thrown into a completely unrealistic set of circumstances with no real reasoning as to why. It's as though on-foot gameplay and activities were developed by an entirely different studio than the driving mechanics.

From gta forum user "Rafe" trying to explain why challenging gameplay mechanics benefit us in the long run.

The question is one of game design. GTA 4 had great driving but it was by no means perfect. Many criticisms should not be easily dismissed regarding the exaggerated control characteristics. However this same dynamic enriched gameplay as driving at high speeds was rather dangerous, you were constantly on the edge of losing controls in turns thus the brake panel actually had to be utilized with high frequency in maneuvering. This increased the complexity of driving and made for a more fulfilling experience.

The problem is that most modern gamers want immediate fulfillment in their driving experience. I have watched many people play racing games and i don't think you will have any trouble finding examples of people going too fast into turns, smashing into other cars to slow themselves down or grinding the side of their vehicles down on buildings or walls to stay on track. At these moments you have failed, you're not playing the game you are holding down the accelerator. The mechanic of holding down an accelerator requires relatively low skill and in regards to the realism vs arcade debate it illustrates that this is really about constraints vs unconstrained gameplay, about a game vs a sandbox.

Is GTA a game or just a sandbox? Should we get punished when we fail? When there is a prospect of failure the rewards of success(escape from cops) are that much more valuable.

I think this demonstrates a general trend in teh gaming industry that as games, like movies, become more popular you integrate larger and larger populations of individuals into the market. The problem is these people have very little sophistication and gaming experience and as such you have to increase teh simplicty to make media more accessible, in the end complexity and thus game-play are sacrificed to satiate the mass market.

GTA 4 driving was still some of the best even though supercars needed better performance characteristics. Accidents were spectacular and often unpredictable when you took excessive risks and drove too fast. Ultimately this made gameplay more spontaneous and less linear which is not what arcade games tend to provide. Gameplay was less predictable which increased the replayability of GTA driving."

So true. So very, very true...

-_-

Keep that proud american ass shit over where it belongs. Dont pollute these forums with tl/dr.

Driving in gta 4 sucked, driving in gta 5 is fun.

That's your dumbass opinion, Q.

I've spent more time with the driving and I guess it isn't that bad. The only issue I still have with it is the braking and acceleration. Far too quick imo, the pedals aren't as sensitive and responsive as they were in IV. In IV, working the pedals properly pretty much decided whether or not your car would be stable and gripped to the ground. Unfortunately alot of ppl didn't know this or didn't have the patience enough to become skilled at it. However, I'm having so much fun with these awesome missions that half the time I don't really care for all dat.

In other words: I was wrong. The driving is in no way a deal-breaker.

GTAIV's driving was still awesome though.

• Like 1