NeelReel

Car Handling and Physics

The handling isn't bad, I like it so far.

I noticed there's a lack of suspension/bouncing when going over road curbs.

Acceleration and braking is speeded up but I don't have a problem with that.

Weird thing though, old cars like Tornado have ABS. :D

Dilletante seems a bit too fast for a hybrid 80hp car.

I find the handling is good. Sports cars seem to handle like they did in San Andreas, in that you don't feel like at every turn they will send you into the nearest wall like some cars in IV. Traffic AI seems to be a bit better though, which probably makes hooning around easier, as you don't have dickheads pulling in front of you every 10 seconds.

I have noticed the same cars seem to spawn quite often. I saw about 8 Bullets in 1 block.

I have noticed the same cars seem to spawn quite often. I saw about 8 Bullets in 1 block.
They still haven't fixed that?

There is nothing to be fixed pal!(spoken with Michael's voice) It's a Vram limitation thing, the more car models

are loaded in the traffic, the more ram usage.

Traffic has more variety than IV imo.

There is nothing to be fixed pal!(spoken with Michael's voice) It's a Vram limitation thing, the more car models

Well, it is a bit of an issue that should be fixed. I loathe seeing 8 million of the same cars in one spot. It breaks my immersion. And how is the vehicle damage? I saw some leaked gameplay and it didn't look to great. I'm not "hating" either, I'm just stating my opinion.

Well, it is a bit of an issue that should be fixed. I loathe seeing 8 million of the same cars in one spot. It breaks my immersion. And how is the vehicle damage? I saw some leaked gameplay and it didn't look to great. I'm not "hating" either, I'm just stating my opinion.

Ok it can be fixed by having a more powerful graphics unit. Unless you want the road textures to disappear, you have to live with the traffic variety on PS3/X360.

I'm with you on that, but it's a technical limitation, not a game bug.

2. Damage is there and it seems more advanced than GTA IV, they only tweaked it a bit so your car seems more durable for the first 2 hits.

But besides that, I can make a sports car undrivable by 4-5 hits from 30 mph, because the front axle breaks.

There is nothing to be fixed pal!(spoken with Michael's voice) It's a Vram limitation thing, the more car models are loaded in the traffic, the more ram usage. Traffic has more variety than IV imo.

that was on an armored vehicle

There is nothing to be fixed pal!(spoken with Michael's voice) It's a Vram limitation thing, the more car models are loaded in the traffic, the more ram usage. Traffic has more variety than IV imo.
Ok it can be fixed by having a more powerful graphics unit. Unless you want the road textures to disappear, you have to live with the traffic variety on PS3/X360. I'm with you on that, but it's a technical limitation, not a game bug. 2. Damage is there and it seems more advanced than GTA IV, they only tweaked it a bit so your car seems more durable for the first 2 hits. But besides that, I can make a sports car undrivable by 4-5 hits from 30 mph, because the front axle breaks.

Oh, alright. Haha! And I said that wrong. I know it's not a bug, it just kind of sucks it has to be that way.

It took me a little to get use to, but I believe it's an improvement from IV. IV was entirely too bouncy/boatish, the cars in V seem to stick to the ground better but still have a bit of bounce in them. I'm not exactly sure how many I sampled but I had a lot of fun driving the Mini-Cooper! Also I like how the traffic on the highways actually go the proper speed and aren't driving like grandmothers.

On a side note, I was able to fly a jet with Franklin. Flying is pretty fun, wind does effect you but it's not too difficult to control. I think I got hit a few times with bullets because the right engine slowly started to give out (more and more smoke started coming out of it) I lost control and crashed haha. Awesome game.

"The issue here is not so much the physics in my mind; rather, it's the fact GTA is inconsistent in how it handles the world in general.

Your health is low (realistic).

NPC health is low and can be KO'd by a single punch or knife strike (realistic).

Running speed is slow (realistic).

Bicycling speed is slow (realistic).

The slightest mistake on foot means death.

And now, we transition to cars:

Car health is incredibly high and you are basically invincible while moving.

Car damage takes forever to develop.

Cars cannot be permanently flipped (you can easily flip them back).

Cars are basically glued to the ground.

No matter if you like/dislike the driving in this game, you have to admit there's a disparity here. The transition from realistic to arcade is instant. And that, to some people, is problematic.

Consistency is the answer. I don't believe anyone who has played Saints Row 4 would be complaining about unrealistic physics, because the game is entirely unrealistic. However, this is not the case in GTA:V.

One moment, you die from taking 3 or 4 bullets from police on foot. The next, you're being chased for half an hour because police can't stop your car no matter their best efforts.

One moment, you die from being clipped by a car going 20 mph. The next, you're doing 90 degree turns in an SUV going full speed.

I urge everyone to think about this situation from this perspective. If the game was entirely unrealistic, I don't believe as many people would be complaining. But the game is filled with attempts at being realistic -- heck, look at the activity choices: Tennis, golf, yoga ... etc.

But then, you are taken from that "realistic" mindset and thrown into a completely unrealistic set of circumstances with no real reasoning as to why. It's as though on-foot gameplay and activities were developed by an entirely different studio than the driving mechanics.

From gta forum user "Rafe" trying to explain why challenging gameplay mechanics benefit us in the long run.

The question is one of game design. GTA 4 had great driving but it was by no means perfect. Many criticisms should not be easily dismissed regarding the exaggerated control characteristics. However this same dynamic enriched gameplay as driving at high speeds was rather dangerous, you were constantly on the edge of losing controls in turns thus the brake panel actually had to be utilized with high frequency in maneuvering. This increased the complexity of driving and made for a more fulfilling experience.

The problem is that most modern gamers want immediate fulfillment in their driving experience. I have watched many people play racing games and i don't think you will have any trouble finding examples of people going too fast into turns, smashing into other cars to slow themselves down or grinding the side of their vehicles down on buildings or walls to stay on track. At these moments you have failed, you're not playing the game you are holding down the accelerator. The mechanic of holding down an accelerator requires relatively low skill and in regards to the realism vs arcade debate it illustrates that this is really about constraints vs unconstrained gameplay, about a game vs a sandbox.

Is GTA a game or just a sandbox? Should we get punished when we fail? When there is a prospect of failure the rewards of success(escape from cops) are that much more valuable.

I think this demonstrates a general trend in teh gaming industry that as games, like movies, become more popular you integrate larger and larger populations of individuals into the market. The problem is these people have very little sophistication and gaming experience and as such you have to increase teh simplicty to make media more accessible, in the end complexity and thus game-play are sacrificed to satiate the mass market.

GTA 4 driving was still some of the best even though supercars needed better performance characteristics. Accidents were spectacular and often unpredictable when you took excessive risks and drove too fast. Ultimately this made gameplay more spontaneous and less linear which is not what arcade games tend to provide. Gameplay was less predictable which increased the replayability of GTA driving."

So true. So very, very true...

-_-

It took some time before I could handle the fast cars proper. Just like in GTA IV I think the handling is very sensitive at first.. When the handling in GTA V becomes familiar it is better than NFSMW 13 ;)

I have not managed to drive a car in that stupid game (NFSWM 13) for more than 10 sec without damaging the exotic cars, rubbish handling on pc (or maybe it is just me)

Cool story, Kuz. <_<

I love the handling in V. IV was great and quite realistic, but that realism can take a toll on gameplay. V seems to be balanced enough to give the cars a real-world feel while keeping the fun factor up. If you want a driving sim, you shouldn't be looking for it in GTA.

I don't see the problem here.

• Like 1

i do have a small issue with the driving, i love it compared to IV's driving mechanics but for me they now went abit too far to arcade driving, its still fun but there is no longer in any challenge in driving fast, franklins special ability i often find i don't need but dart in and out of traffic isn't that difficult in the first place.

i would like to see abit of realism in the game from the driving, i'm not after forza motor sport or grand turismo but actualy having to slow down for a corner would be nice.

it gta though, i don't expect to be able to take 100 shots to the chest and still run away, i don't expect to die after one shot either i want that middle ground.

the driving in V i can live with, as its enough to do some cool moves to keep thing interesting (driving at 120mph weaving in and out of semi trucks on the highway doesn't get old, even if i do get abit cocky a spin out after clipping a truck, causing a large pile up.

Nice copy pasted from gtaforums.

It's from IGN's forums, smartass.

Cool story, Kuz. <_< I love the handling in V. IV was great and quite realistic, but that realism can take a toll on gameplay. V seems to be balanced enough to give the cars a real-world feel while keeping the fun factor up. If you want a driving sim, you shouldn't be looking for it in GTA. I don't see the problem here.

Did you even read the quote?

"The transition from realistic to arcade is instant. And that, to some people, is problematic."

The problem^

I'd have no problem with the driving if GTA V was a 100% over the top arcade game but it's not... and it hasn't been for a while.

The driving is completely out of place and kills the sense of realism in the game which I found extremely fun. And please don't start with that "go play a sim" crap, because I can just as easily tell you to go play Burnout.

The driving is fine. Stop being a bitch.

The driving sucks ass. Stop being a bitch.

• Like 1

IV's driving was far more realistic and believable than this. The acceleration did need to be tweaked but the handling was fine, you probably were just bad at it tbh.

Kuz raised (albeit was copy and pasted) an excellent point.

It should be black and white. Realistic or not. And if realistic is the direction they go in, it won't be a game I buy.

I've had the game just over a week and already i've had more fun and spent close to the same amount of time playing GTA V as I did IV.

BTW the driving in GTA IV wasn't realistic. Everything handled like you had bald tyres on wet muddy roads. If you're from some backwards ass town where the tyres have less treads than you have teeth, fair enough, but no car controls like that with good tyres and dry roads.

I think the change to handling made driving a much more enjoyable experience. Sure it's slightly arcady, but it's fun.

I do however still think cars take way too much of a beating before it starts to effect performance. I've driven many stock vehicles at high speeds into head on traffic and drove away with only minor scratches and a busted headlight. That's my only gripe.

On a positive note, the vehicle selection is simply amazing!