Sign in to follow this  
ConQueSteD

GTA V Budgeting

According to the Scotland Sunday newspaper, Grand Theft Auto V budget was £170 million ($265,778,000 USD). This would make GTA V the most expensive game to be made to date. The budget for Grand Theft Auto IV was only around $100,000,000 USD.

Five years in the making, the game’s development and marketing budget of £170 million is the equivalent of a blockbuster film.

For those of you wanting to read the article your self you can find it here.

• Like 3

This is amazing to say, that the budget for GTA III was (I think) $10mil which is just proof of how spectacularly well Rockstar have done over the last 10 years.

I wonder how much they've collected through preorders prior to release day.

Xbox 360 - 1,581,146

Playstation 3 - 1,037,597

at base price of $60 = $157,124,580 off pre-orders alone (not including Special & Collectors editions extra fees)

Not to mention there are a lot of people who don't pre-order, so day 1 sales will be huge.

http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders/

Xbox 360 - 1,581,146

at base price of $60 = $157,124,580 off pre-orders alone (not including Special & Collectors editions extra fees)

Not to mention there are a lot of people who don't pre-order, so day 1 sales will be huge.

that only shows how many in the us are pre-ordered, you still got the rest of the world to add onto it. ;)

Xbox 360 - 1,581,146

that only shows how many in the us are pre-ordered, you still got the rest of the world to add onto it. ;)

You're right, I totally forgot about that. I was wondering why the numbers seemed to be low. I don't know how I forgot about it seeing it's plastered all over that source I posted.

Xbox 360 - 1,581,146

I cannot begin to imagine how many more will show up to the midnight release.

I read just a bit ago that as of 2012, GTAIV had sold 25 million copies, which would make their profit up towell over $1 billion, so I think it's safe to say that Take2 will certainly be pleased with the $170 million investment knowing that GTAV will sell that many copies over its lifetime.

I heard over 3 million preorders in the UK.

Xbox 360 - 1,581,146

You're right, I totally forgot about that. I was wondering why the numbers seemed to be low. I don't know how I forgot about it seeing it's plastered all over that source I posted.

for ease of math i'm using UK Pricing of £40, seems about average for the basic game on its own.

so the 2.5 from last week in the us plus the 3 million bronson said for the uk gives us 5.5 million copies in pre-orders from 2 countries.

5.5 mil x £40 = £220,000,000

even on basic game level we are talking £50 million in profit based on development costs alone, before the game is even on the market.

this doesn't include the special editions of the game or the cost of manufacture of manuals, disks, etc

this is why compaines get into the industry and why many of them fail, the big games (halo, gta, battlefield, call of duty, forza, grantruismo to name afew) are able to have so much spent on them, because the market is there to justify the cost.

that gives the new guys the plan to join in, but because of the cost involved to get a game such as them made and on the market alot of them fall sort and underestimate how good their game is.

alot of the big boys now reply heavily on their following to get sales, if the interest in battlefield for example dies, so does the future of the franchise

Sign in to follow this