Bronson

Grand Theft Auto V: The Sum of all Peers

man, the articles are getting worse by the day... the first article is still hands down the best...

What happened to the article on how R* made a next gen game on current gen hardware?

man, the articles are getting worse by the day... the first article is still hands down the best...

What happened to the article on how R* made a next gen game on current gen hardware?

That was supposed to be this article. I don't know what this shit is...

That was supposed to be this article. I don't know what this shit is...

it is briefly mentioned at the end, they also said that they'd go into more detail in the coming days <_<... whatever... this article is nothing more than an article i read months ago on the same subject of incorporating past games into GTAV...

• Like 2

It was a sad excuse for game journalism, but fuck it. I was mildly entertained for ten minutes. And I do appreciate how they are continuously undermining the next generation of consoles. It makes the crotchety old miser in me smile deviously.

• Like 2

I like how people are complaining just because they were expecting something amazing. Personally I thought it was a good read, and it made me want the game even more, so I'd say it did it's job. And if you didn't like it, the game is still coming out in just 12 days, so how upset can you really be right now?

• Like 1

I like how people are complaining just because they were expecting something amazing. Personally I thought it was a good read, and it made me want the game even more, so I'd say it did it's job. And if you didn't like it, the game is still coming out in just 12 days, so how upset can you really be right now?

11 days. Don't u dare add more days
  • Like 9

i'm not upset, and i wasn't even looking forward to the article... i just thought it was misleading... i swear they did a similar article a few months ago, i just thought it was crappy journalism to re-hash something just because you can now relate it to the gameplay you saw the other day...

[ Excerpt ] ~ "There are a range of new customisable targeting options as well".

^^^ I wonder what they mean by this?

Also I thought the article was a good read, no real new information, but still interesting.

And I think the Next-Gen game ( on current gen hardware ) part was in relation to how Rockstar managed to get all of the mechanics from their previous games to work harmoniously together in the one package. How they have crammed so many unique animations for the Characters and NPC's into it, and all the unique NPC dialogue & encounters into one game. Not to mention the new weather mechanics, and enhanced graphical subtleties.

Improved AI, improved Gunplay Mechanics, and the new Ambient Score are also helping to make gunfights better than they have ever been before. Differences in the weight and control of the Three Protagonists when on foot, and their individual special abilities help set them apart ( as well as the more obvious differences like appearance/ and dialogue ).

I think this article went over a few of your heads. I know it was only pointing out a lot of unimpressive subtle changes ( made from previous Rockstar games ), that have gone into improving GTA. But taken as a whole, they will make the gameplay feel much more cohesive, and just plain better than any other Rockstar game to date.

[ Excerpt ] ~ "There are a range of new customisable targeting options as well".

Also I thought the article was a good read, no real new information, but still interesting.

And I think the Next-Gen game ( on current gen hardware ) part was in relation to how Rockstar managed to get all of the mechanics from their previous games to work harmoniously together in the one package. How they have crammed so many unique animations for the Characters and NPC's into it, and all the unique NPC dialogue & encounters into one game. Not to mention the new weather mechanics, and enhanced graphical subtleties.

Improved AI, improved Gunplay Mechanics, and the new Ambient Score are also helping to make gunfights better than they have ever been before. Differences in the weight and control of the Three Protagonists when on foot, and their individual special abilities help sat them apart ( as well as different appearance/ and dialogue from them when reacting to things in the world ).

I think this article went over a few of your heads. I know it was only pointing out a lot of unimpressive subtle changes ( made from previous Rockstar games ), that have gone into improving GTA V. But taken as a whole, they will make the gameplay feel much more cohesive, and just plain better than any other Rockstar game.

Then it was a very misleading title.I though that R* was going to talk about how they added so many activities and how they made the map so big.

• Like 1

Improved AI, improved Gunplay Mechanics, and the new Ambient Score are also helping to make gunfights better than they have ever been before. Differences in the weight and control of the Three Protagonists when on foot, and their individual special abilities help sat them apart ( as well as different appearance/ and dialogue from them when reacting to things in the world ).

I think this article went over a few of your heads. I know it was only pointing out a lot of unimpressive subtle changes ( made from previous Rockstar games ), that have gone into improving GTA V. But taken as a whole, they will make the gameplay feel much more cohesive, and just plain better than any other Rockstar game.

Then it was a very misleading title.I though that R* was going to talk about how they added so many activities and how they made the map so big.

And they did. They said they wanted to make the game as good as it could possibly be. So obviously that includes them wanting to make a very large map filled with lots of fun things to do.

• Like 1

Just Cause 2 & Day Z have big maps, and I wouldn't say that they're Next-Gen.

It's how believable and alive the world feels, and how immersed you become while in it. That's the real measure of how good a game is. And I think that Next Gen games will be defined by how immersive their worlds are.

( not just how good their graphics are )

And GTA V will be leading the way into Next-Gen Game-World design, by being the most influential Open World Game of this generation. And THE model upon which all other Open-World games are judged ( especially early Next-Gen games/ like Watch Dogs ).

Just Cause 2 & Day Z have big maps, and I wouldn't say that they're Next-Gen.

It's how believable and alive the world feels, and how immersed you become while in it. That's the real measure of how good a game is . And I think Next Gen games will be defined by how immersive their worlds are.

( not just how good their graphics are )

Ive never played either of those.But agree with the second part

This is why I love Rockstar.

[ Excerpt ] ~ “As a gamer, I always feel a bit cheated when you’re forced into something, or a big set piece moment is just a quick time event. We have big set piece sections of gameplay but it still feels organic and the player will feel in control. It always feels so much better if you’ve created it yourself, so that’s what we tried to do here. There are so many systems at work in the missions with the player at the centre of them, acting unpredictably – we tried to create a world in which these moments can arise naturally, and we look forward to seeing what players do with these systems when they get their hands on the game.”

Rockstar - "Building better Open-Worlds since 1998".

"The end result is something that, to myself, feels more "next-generation" than most of the titles coming out on PS4 and Xbox One later this year. IGN UK’s Daniel Krupa will be going into more detail on this topic in the coming days but, to me, there isn’t really anything in the PS4-Xbox One launch line-ups that matches the gameplay scope displayed here in GTA V."

That statement is absolutely true, I haven't really been impressed by any Next-Gen games yet. How about you guys?

Me, I'm still waiting for Fallout 4 to be announced...

• Like 3

That statement is absolutely true, I haven't really been impressed by any Next-Gen games yet. How about you guys?

I was thinking about something similar earlier. I have completely lost interest in almost all new games over the last few years because they don't leave anything to the imagination or allow you to be adventurous. As that excerpt says, the big moments of most games are condensed into a quicktime event you have no ability to change, other than to fail because you weren't paying attention (yawning) and didn't push A quickly enough.

It seems to be that when a large game developer comes up with an idea for their next game, they have a series of events they want to squeeze in to take full advantage of the hardware and make it look good for trailers/eye candy in the game, as they know that will sell games and gamers will think they want to see it on their TV. Most are sold on it when it is no more involving than a movie with decent CGI.

The problem is that, as a result of this, all ability to go about doing things your own way is taken out of the equation. The simplest way of showing this is looking at level maps from games 10-15 years ago and comparing them to now. Levels are much more linear and you may only have two (maximum of three) paths to mission success. If you stray from the path you are caught up by an invisible wall or some other false barrier which has been programmed in to keep you on the path the developer intended you to follow. Even some open world games manage to fall into this trap e.g. most RPGs will stop you beginning certain quests unless you've reached a certain level in a specific skill. While this is all part of being an RPG, it's a false barrier designed to stop you completing a mission unless you would be capable of completing it a certain way e.g. using magic rather than brute force.

The difference with GTA is that it is a truly open world experience. If you need to get from A to B there is nothing to stop you driving across the map to get a helicopter and arriving at your destination with the military chasing after you (well, some missions will prevent that but only where it wouldn't make sense for you to continue). At the same time GTA allows you to fully experience an alternative world not entirely dissimilar to real life but give you the ability to do as you please. This is why I still find GTA appealing as it allows you to use your imagination and explore the world. The only thing GTA is missing is consequences for your actions - GTA IV gave you some decisions to make but none of them really affected the game in a massive way, other than determine whether you get a second safe house in Algonquin or not, or whether you take Roman or Kate bowling once a week after you've completed the game.

It's why the internet goes crazy whenever Rockstar releases a single screenshot for the next GTA game - because it's the only remaining game of it's kind, done correctly.

• Like 8

This is why I love Rockstar.

[ Excerpt ] ~ “As a gamer, I always feel a bit cheated when you’re forced into something, or a big set piece moment is just a quick time event. We have big set piece sections of gameplay but it still feels organic and the player will feel in control. It always feels so much better if you’ve created it yourself, so that’s what we tried to do here. There are so many systems at work in the missions with the player at the centre of them, acting unpredictably – we tried to create a world in which these moments can arise naturally, and we look forward to seeing what players do with these systems when they get their hands on the game.”

Rockstar - "Building better Open-Worlds since 1998".

The end result is something that, to myself, feels more "next-generation" than most of the titles coming out on PS4 and Xbox One later this year. IGN UK’s Daniel Krupa will be going into more detail on this topic in the coming days but, to me, there isn’t really anything in the PS4-Xbox One launch line-ups that matches the gameplay scope displayed here in GTA V.

Me, I'm still waiting for Fallout 4 to be announced...

Only Next-Gen games I've really been impressed with are Dead Rising 3, primarily for the expanded open world aspects (always wanted an open world zombie game) and the other one is Watch Dogs just because of the techy, computer related abilities although I fear it may turn out feeling kinda gimmicky and forced upon. And Fallout 4, never forget Fallout 4 :P .

• Like 1

Typical hype article by IGN with just recycled info we know and a few quotes...

i'm not upset, and i wasn't even looking forward to the article... i just thought it was misleading... i swear they did a similar article a few months ago, i just thought it was crappy journalism to re-hash something just because you can now relate it to the gameplay you saw the other day...

Every 'GTA V week' at IGN has at least one article of this type.

Well said.

And it would be great if there were more real consequences in GTA ( as well as more RPG elements ). This would only immerse you more into it's world.

The simplest way of showing this is looking at level maps from games 10-15 years ago and comparing them to now. Levels are much more linear and you may only have two (maximum of three) paths to mission success.

Also I couldn't agree more with this statement.

It reminded me of the old FPS games I played in the 90's ( before COD ). I remember playing the old "Medal Of Honor" games on the 'PS1' ( and Goldeneye on the '64' ), and having multiple ways of going about the objectives I.E. Multiple paths and multiple ways of approaching the enemy ( "Stealthily" or the "All Guns Blazing" approach ). It also let you infiltrate enemy bases using a disguise and a fake I.D. Plus you could find higher level clearances for different areas in the game, and if you didn't have the right papers to be in an area, the guards would run and set off an alarm, sending waves of tough enemies at you from multiple directions ( you could also disable the alarms yourself ). Plus the enemy AI had half a brain and put up a decent challenge ( shooting Nazi Helmets off was fun with the great sound design "PING!"/ And then him looking around all surprised to see where the bullet came from/ and then screaming in German at you when you're seen ). ( there was even a level in a German Castle where some of the Knights Armour ( decorating the place ) actually had people in them, and they would attack you once your back was turned ( making a heavy metallic sound as they charged at you/ they could kill you pretty quickly as well/ which made the level even more exhilarating ). Where did great original ideas like these go?

Then I compare this too the crappy Call Of Duty's that we have today. Where the Single Player is a linear corridor with no alternate routes, and dumb generic AI enemies ( who are no challenge at all/ even on higher difficulties ). And the same shoot these guys/ blow this thing up gameplay, and I think how has FPS gameplay degenerated this badly? In the end you're just sitting through a boring B Grade Action Movie.

But there are still plenty of great open-ended games like Fallout 3/ New Vegas, MGS 3/4, the GTA series, Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect 1/2/3, The Elder Scrolls Series, Far Cry 2/3, and the Batman Arkham games ( to an extent ). Or great games that even though they're linear still have great gameplay and tell a great story, like Uncharted 1/2/3, Bioshock 1/2/3, Max Payne 1/2/3, The Last Of Us, Portal 1/2, Hal Life 2 etc

• Like 1