Cult comedies are quite possibly the best genre of movies out there. My top three are:

3. Zombieland

2. Office Space

1. Clerks

Those are just a few of plenty of badass cult comedies. Tell me readers, what are your favorites?

I totally just forgot fucking Blazing Saddles. I don't even know how.

Clerks.

Best movie ever with no storyline. So simple, it's genius. And Jay and Silent Bob are my favorite two characters in movies.

Rosencrantz and Gildenstern Are Dead. Gary Oldman plays Rosencrantz and Tim Roth plays Gildenstern. No, wait, Tim Roth plays Rosencrantz and Gary Oldman plays Gildenstern. ...fuck... Watch it, and you'll understand. And it makes Hamlet funny.

Oscar. Sylvester Stallone plays a gangster in Prohibiton Era Chicago. Yes, it's a comedy. John Landis of Animal House fame directed. If you liked the movie Clue I believe you'll like this.

Repo Man. Stars Emilio Estavez, y'know, Charlie Sheen's brother. A teenage Emilio plays a punk rock douche trying to get laid. He stumbles into a Repo Man job after a drunken party. This leads to philosophy, government agents, sex, and alien shit.

Bad Taste. Peter Jackson's first movie. Human beings have become the new intergalactic taste sensation! It's up to a super secret government force of four New Zealanders to save us. Old Pete's one of our defenders. While this movie is hilarious, it is also bloody as hell itself. The only movie that surpasses it with gore and blood is Jackson's third movie, Dead Alive. Also funny.

• Like 1

Idiocracy was good, but disappointing considering who directed it. I expect nothing short of a cult classic from a guy like Mike Judge every time he directs a movie. But you can't expect intelligence in jokes when everyone's fucking retards and the #1 movie in America is called Ass. I think it can get labeled as stupid and juvenile, when actually, I found the base storyline and it's content to be quite clever. And The Big Lebowski is another I forgot, that is up there among the best too.

Rosencrantz and Gildenstern Are Dead. Gary Oldman plays Rosencrantz and Tim Roth plays Gildenstern. No, wait, Tim Roth plays Rosencrantz and Gary Oldman plays Gildenstern. ...fuck... Watch it, and you'll understand. And it makes Hamlet funny.

Oscar. Sylvester Stallone plays a gangster in Prohibiton Era Chicago. Yes, it's a comedy. John Landis of Animal House fame directed. If you liked the movie Clue I believe you'll like this.

Repo Man. Stars Emilio Estavez, y'know, Charlie Sheen's brother. A teenage Emilio plays a punk rock douche trying to get laid. He stumbles into a Repo Man job after a drunken party. This leads to philosophy, government agents, sex, and alien shit.

Bad Taste. Peter Jackson's first movie. Human beings have become the new intergalactic taste sensation! It's up to a super secret government force of four New Zealanders to save us. Old Pete's one of our defenders. While this movie is hilarious, it is also bloody as hell itself. The only movie that surpasses it with gore and blood is Jackson's third movie, Dead Alive. Also funny.

I really hope that my intelligence doesn't get insulted for this, but I have not seen any of those and only faintly heard of a couple.

Zombieland isn't cult at all lol, it has a huge following.

The League of Gentlemen sums this up about right.

Some of the tv/movies posted don't seem cult followed at all.

A cult following is a small but dedicated fanbase right?

Zombieland isn't cult at all lol, it has a huge following.

The League of Gentlemen sums this up about right.

Some of the tv/movies posted don't seem cult followed at all.

A cult following is a small but dedicated fanbase right?

I guess you're right, but that means most movies regarded as cult classics aren't really cult movies.

The Big Lebowski and Blazing Saddles aren't cult films now, but they used to be.

Unfortunately, though, too many other formerly widely loved comedies have turned into cult comedies: Exhibit A: Tommy Boy. Exhibit B: Young Frankenstein.

The Big Lebowski and Blazing Saddles aren't cult films now, but they used to be.

Unfortunately, though, too many other formerly widely loved comedies have turned into cult comedies: Exhibit A: Tommy Boy. Exhibit B: Young Frankenstein.

I'm just quoting this to commemorate your quote fail.

I really hope that my intelligence doesn't get insulted for this, but I have not seen any of those and only faintly heard of a couple.

No worries, boss. I'm a film geek through and through (not to say I bite the heads off live chickens while watching movies). I'll watch most things. Voyeur is a good word for me. Check out the ones I've mentioned if you have a moment. Let me know what you think.

Hey everyone, where does M*A*S*H fall in the cult comedy argument? It won an Oscar for Best Screenplay, was nominated for four others, and was made into one of the most popular TV shows in history, but no one seems to remember the movie unless they're my mom's age.

Either way, it's fucking great.

No worries, boss. I'm a film geek through and through (not to say I bite the heads off live chickens while watching movies). I'll watch most things. Voyeur is a good word for me. Check out the ones I've mentioned if you have a moment. Let me know what you think.

I'll see if I can find them and rent/ buy :)