Indy

Poetry, lyrics and quotes.

So I thought I'd make a topic about any poetry, lyrics or quotes that you love. Especially ones that carry great meaning, or are of particular significance to you. Perhaps you'll read something you really like here and carry it forth with you. I'll start off with some of my own favourites, but please feel free to add your own, even if it is your own work!

"Trust your heart if the seas catch fire, live by love though the stars walk backward."

- E.E. Cummings

It basically means; trust your heart no matter what, even if the signs are saying otherwise.

"Everyone has an addiction, mine happens to be you."

- Andre 3000

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it."

- Confucius

"Art is the only way to run away without leaving home."

- Twyla Tharp

I don't know who said it but one of my favourites is something like...

"I pity those who have no imagination for they are forced to live in reality"

"Reality is for people who lack imagination."

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

My god has needs, like i do. We both want, to rape you.

"What is it if a man gains the world And loses his own soul?"

“I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.”

"If you don't lie, you don't have to have a good memory"

"Often the fear of one evil leads us into a worse"

Book quotes...

“Agape, eros, and chastity, a heady combination that would make even the strongest man fall to his knees”

"There are only two reasons why you leave someone you're still in love with - either it's the right thing to do, or it's the only thing to do.”

“And the Angelfucker makes his move.”

“Bad things happen to everyone. Not that this was an excuse or a justification for wronging another human being. Still, all humans had this shared experience — that of suffering. No human being left this world without shedding a tear, or feeling pain, or wading into the sea of sorrow.”

“Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.”

and from my all time favourite book series, The dark duet series by C.J Roberts.

“Live for me, Kitten. Be all those things you'd never be with me. Go to school. Meet a normal boy and fall in love. Forgive me. It's time for you to go, Kitten. Time for us both, to go.”

The most beautiful words I've ever read (and re-read countless times), by E.E. Cummings. Most simply put, I believe he's trying to say that "you are my everything". But it's the desperate manner and the intimacy of the words that makes them so immeasurable! Almost as if his love is no longer something he wants, but rather a necessity of his existence. Amazing, on so many levels.

Yours is the light by which my spirit's born:

Yours is the darkness of my soul's return,

- You are my sun, my moon, and my stars

(Also, read it to the backdrop of Einaudi's I Giorni)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhuGfmoIv_M

• Like 1

"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor."

Alexis Carrel, french surgeon... and supposed Nazi regime collaborator. Not one to carry quotes around, but this one stayed with me, I feel like it can be applied both physically and intellectually, bettering oneself.

• Like 2

This is long, but I love it and definitely worth a read to any of those who support aestheticism.

“What is the use of beauty in woman? Provided a woman is physically well made and capable of bearing children, she will always be good enough in the opinion of economists.

What is the use of music? -- of painting? Who would be fool enough nowadays to prefer Mozart to Carrel, Michael Angelo to the inventor of white mustard?

There is nothing really beautiful save what is of no possible use. Everything useful is ugly, for it expresses a need, and man's needs are low and disgusting, like his own poor, wretched nature. The most useful place in a house is the water-closet.

For my part, saving these gentry's presence, I am of those to whom superfluities are necessaries, and I am fond of things and people in inverse ratio to the service they render me. I prefer a Chinese vase with its mandarins and dragons, which is perfectly useless to me, to a utensil which I do use, and the particular talent of mine which I set most store by is that which enables me not to guess logogriphs and charades. I would very willingly renounce my rights as a Frenchman and a citizen for the sight of an undoubted painting by Raphael, or of a beautiful nude woman, -- Princess Borghese, for instance, when she posed for Canova, or Julia Grisi when she is entering her bath. I would most willingly consent to the return of that cannibal, Charles X., if he brought me, from his residence in Bohemia, a case of Tokai or Johannisberg; and the electoral laws would be quite liberal enough, to my mind, were some of our streets broader and some other things less broad. Though I am not a dilettante, I prefer the sound of a poor fiddle and tambourines to that of the Speaker's bell. I would sell my breeches for a ring, and my bread for jam. The occupation which best befits civilized man seems to me to be idleness or analytically smoking a pipe or cigar. I think highly of those who play skittles, and also of those who write verse. You may perceive that my principles are not utilitarian, and that I shall never be the editor of a virtuous paper, unless I am converted, which would be very comical.

Instead of founding a Monthyon prize for the reward of virtue, I would rather bestow -- like Sardanapalus, that great, misunderstood philosopher -- a large reward to him who should invent a new pleasure; for to me enjoyment seems to be the end of life and the only useful thing on this earth. God willed it to be so, for he created women, perfumes, light, lovely flowers, good wine, spirited horses, lapdogs, and Angora cats; for He did not say to his angels, 'Be virtuous,' but, 'Love,' and gave us lips more sensitive than the rest of the skin that we might kiss women, eyes looking upward that we might behold the light, a subtile sense of smell that we might breathe in the soul of the flowers, muscular limbs that we might press the flanks of stallions and fly swift as thought without railway or steam-kettle, delicate hands that we might stroke the long heads of greyhounds, the velvety fur of cats, and the polished shoulder of not very virtuous creatures, and, finally, granted to us alone the triple and glorious privilege of drinking without being thirsty, striking fire, and making love in all seasons, whereby we are very much more distinguished from brutes than by the custom of reading newspapers and framing constitutions.”

― Théophile Gautier, Mademoiselle de Maupin

• Like 1

I belive in good times, having peace and fun. But I'm still in my room tryna grease my gun.

"Jackers in my home" - South Park Mexican

Some of my favourite Eddie Vedder/ Pearl Jam lyrics

"I know someday you'll have a beautiful life

I know you'll be a sun

In somebody else's sky

But why can't it be mine"

"First he was stripped

Then he was stabbed

By faceless men

Well, fuckers, he still stands"

"She holds the hand that holds her down

She will.... rise above"

Or just for a laugh, one from the 2 Live Crew

"Then lick my ass up and down

Lick it til your tongue turns doo-doo brown

Don't be slick and try to give me a kiss

C'mon babe we can do this"

If you were to realize the rage behind an empty mind, could you kill the coldness inside of those who lied?

Guilt dripping down their mouth, pigs trampling to the trough.

A fleeting feeling lost in greed.

Just feed.

Z.

The line between the legs that yearns burns and begs,

searching for a soul to devour with unshakeable power.

The want beyond mere wife yields pain strain and strife,

twisting my thought shivering hurried and hot.

The shallow within our selves which extolls cajoles and contains,

ending empathy discovered in apathy.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Neitzsche

The Mad Hatter: Have I gone mad?

Alice: I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

• Like 1

There once was a man from Nantucket,

Whose prick was so long he could suck it.

As he wiped off his chin, he said with a grin,

"If my ear were a cunt I could fuck it!"

- Unknown

• Like 1

There once was a man from Nantucket,

Whose prick was so long he could suck it.

As he wiped off his chin, he said with a grin,

"If my ear were a cunt I could fuck it!"

- Unknown

Touching, literally

Float like a butterfly.

Acrobatic.

Sting like a B-52.

Dramatic.

And the radar, the radar locks on you.

No static.

Can I reach it now?

I'm not up here often.