It seems that when your on foot, the HUD will show a top-down auroplane view, when your in a vehicle though the HUD map becomes slanted.

This seems consistent with how you might use maps/navigation on your phone. Top-down map view when schlepping around on foot, forward-looking angled navigation view when you're behind the wheel.

• Like 1

My issue is with the overly-thick health/armor/special bar and outlines, and the fact that the three bars are combined, which looks horrible.

Also, the different radar view seems pointless. It's not that different, just different enough to be annoying. I'm not sure why i expected anything other than that.

i have to say i much prefer the GTA IV one. i preferred the circular shape as well as how the health/armour was done around the circle. it seemed a lot less in the way then this one does.

but everyone will get used to it after a few times playing.

eh, it's something we'll all get used to and after a few days of playing you'll forget what the old GTAIV HUD looked like...

Agreed... sort of. I think we will get used to it pretty fast, I doubt the HUD will matter much to me once I am enjoying the game. that doesn't mean there still won't be issues with it and it still begs the question of why they would change it. I don't know, in my experience we should usually trust R*, they usually put thought into the things they do.

Looks simple. Which is fine. It is a bit thick looking though.

I still do not know what to think about the trend to make HUDs overly simple. I like having the word out of my way, but at the same time it got annoying in GTA4 having to always hit a button to see how much ammo/money I had or to see what time it was.

I dont, i didnt mind it. Its a small box on the bottom of the screen.... They wanted to make it as small as possible....

Looks ok to me, three lines around a circle would look weird, and the large bars would be goofy..

At first i thought maybe they were all on the same line because they were an iron triangle type of thing, where you could have a specfic total of health and special ability, and distribute it the way you chose, but i dont think so any more, since both players have the same amount of the three things

At the risk of repeating myself ad nauseum, the shape of the map suggests to me that R* is trying to emulate something you might see in the real world. Navigation units (and, more relevant, smart phone screens) are rectangular in shape, not circular. Am I the only one that thinks this is a logical step forward?

No. What kinda freak carries around a smart phone? Personally, I carry around a 50s-era radar screen+transmitter, so I can relate to the circular design of IV's minimap.

No. What kinda freak carries around a smart phone? Personally, I carry around a 50s-era radar screen+transmitter, so I can relate to the circular design of IV's minimap.

...or a calculator watch...

• Like 1

The topic didn't need to get rolling again, we've all seen the HUD. A bump in this topic serves no purpose.

I just thought I would share my work on the HUD. I will go back to my hole :(