Sign in to follow this  
Googlefluff

Automatic or Manual?

I'm just curious. Do you prefer automatic gearboxes or manual ones and why? I don't get my license until September but, like anyone, I've had some back road practice in both and don't think I'll drive auto again (unless it isn't my car).

On a side note, I think it would be sweet if GTA V had a manual gearbox option.

I grew up in upstate New York and lived in Telluride, Colorado for a spell, so I was a manual man myself. Since I moved to the cities of California, manual became a bother, so I've switched to automatic. I'm not proud, but it makes more sense. Stay manual, brother, stay manual.

Manual. I don't live in a city and I'm not stuck in traffic all the time, so I don't see a reason to drive automatic.

I've driven both, automatics are a lot easier to drive and I think why make it harder than it needs to be.

I've driven both, automatics are a lot easier to drive and I think why make it harder than it needs to be.

You are a woman, your opinion when it comes to the automobile world is beyond irrelevant.

I saw a woman reverse in a roundabout today.

One time, when waiting in line with a bunch of open mic comedians to preform at an open mic, a lady plowed into another lady, causing the victim to be pushed through a surf shop facade. No one was hurt, but there were two tragedies that day. Neither lady was Asian, and no one made a joke about it.

• Like 1

Like I said I don't even have my license yet but just yesterday I taught my mum what double clutching was. It's a sad world we live in.

To make the world a sadder place, I must ask (because I don't know) what is double clutching?

I used to insist on driving manual cars, but I don't own a car so I can only drive what my dad buys. After years of work and shitty cars, he's become lazy, so all but one of our cars are automatic. But to be honest, I'd rather be driving an automatic Maserati or Mercedes than a manual Fiesta!

One day, when I buy my Aston Martin/Ferrari [other cliche sports car], I'd like to think I would buy a manual, just so I enjoy it more.

Have any of you ever tried an SMG style transmission? The one on my car is a 6 speed. It is the same transmission and clutch as the manual. (its electronically and hydraulic controlled shifting/clutch) It can shift a lot faster than you can. I don't really use the paddle shifters on the wheel much though, I mostly bump the shift knob in the center. (and yes it also rolls backwards on hills, its not engaged all the time like an auto, its the same as a manual in those respects)

Like I said I don't even have my license yet but just yesterday I taught my mum what double clutching was. It's a sad world we live in.

To make the world a sadder place, I must ask (because I don't know) what is double clutching?

Way too difficult to explain so I found a demo:

It's mainly used for shifting on very old cars but it's very useful for downshifting multiple gears at once (5th to 3rd, 4th to 2nd, etc.) on newer cars to avoid wearing out the gearbox, though heal-toeing is probably better in that circumstance.

Hm...It appears that manly men prefer the challenge that a manual transmission offers, and those who don't are considered sissies.

Uh, manual.

Hm...It appears that manly men prefer the challenge that a manual transmission offers, and those who don't are considered sissies.

Not a single person that said manual is bearded. They're all a bunch of pussies.

Myself, I jump on the back of a grizzly every morning and punch it in the head until it takes me where I want to go. Or I shadowmeld, whichever is more convenient.

I prefer riding a lawnmower backwards towards my destination. It gets onlookers talking amongst themselves, and prevents any evildoers from approaching you (actually, it prevents everyone from approaching you).

• Like 1