Ever had a serious injury that required medical attention? Share your story about how it happened. Funny/crazy stories appreciated.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As for myself, I've gotten pretty lucky throughout my life and and only broke/sprained a few bones. I've fallen out of trees as a kid and walked away with only a few cuts and bruises, but I some how started fucking myself up doing everyday things once I got alittle older. Unfortunatly all of them were a result of intoxication..

My first was pretty stupid... It was a hot summer day in the late afternoon and I hadn't eaten or drank anything since the night before. I was 15 and blazed through an 1/8th in a bong circle with some friends in my buddys basement. I was stupid high, plus dehydrated and all that, and was feeling alittle weird. After going up the stairs and standing in my friends kitchen for a bit my vision just went black and I got all dizzy feeling like the room was spinning and fell into a chair and sprained my ankle. lol. Going to the ER for that one was interesting..

The second I was 20 and drunk and punched this metal fuse box on a telephone pole and shattered my middle knuckle. I knew there really wasn't anything a doctor could do for that so I just was careful with it and pushed the knuckle back together with my fingers as it healed.

And finally, one that I'm suffering with today, I was black out drunk a few weeks ago and woke up with a boxers fracture (5th metacarpal snapped by the knuckle) and all my knuckles were bruised. The swellings pretty much gone now but my pinky knuckle has retreated into my hand and theres a bone sticking up on the top of my hand. Still don't know what/who I hit but obviously one of the hits was shitty because I connected with the outside 2 knuckles (a big no no) with a decent amount of force resulting in the broken metacarpal. Didn't go to the doctor for this one, although I buddy taped my pinky to my ring finger for the first week to isolate the movement... Just hoping for the best.

And now I may have a scar on my forehead since a peice of glass connected with it after someone bashed in a window i was sitting under with a baseball bat. I'll have to see how that turns out lol.

COOL-STORY-BRO.jpg

Decided to walk in a forested area one day, whilst wearing flip-flops. I picked up my right foot to take another step when I realized it was inexplicably heavy. I looked down and realized that there was a board somehow stuck to the bottom of my foot. I angled my foot so that I could see it from the side, and noticed with horror that there was a rusty nail poking through the arch of it. So I started screaming like a bludgeoned fawn once I noticed all the blood.

And that's how I got my first tetanus shot. Pics may or may not follow.

• Like 3

A few cuts and bruises along the way.

I've had hundreds of sprains and injuries from playing football. Broke every finger in my right hand (fuckin' finger save goalkeeping gloves <_<)

Heads full of bumps from mid-air collisions. My ankles are also a little worse for wear.

Slightly football related, at least twice a game we would kick the ball onto the school roof which useally meant whoever

kicked the ball had to fetch it. Once again my big toe had gotten me in trouble. Getting onto the roof was no big deal, however it looked like

they might be issues climbing down. I reasoned the best way to get down would be to jump onto the tree opposite and climb down that.

I ran to the edge and slipped on the vandal grease which carried me straight over the side. I landed on my chest and right arm. It fucking hurt .

I got away with broken wrist. (Copied from the "school memories" topic)

Whilst under the influence of illegal drugs I managed to run a swiss army knife through the tip of my index finger.

I was using it to stab a maltesers box, Lots of fun at the time.

Other than that I've a got a couple of grease burns from working at Mcds. And a scar above my left eye from a bottle whack,

extremely lucky the glass didn't smash, probably would've lost an eye.

• Like 1

Decided to walk in a forested area one day, whilst wearing flip-flops. I picked up my right foot to take another step when I realized it was inexplicably heavy. I looked down and realized that there was a board somehow stuck to the bottom of my foot.

Damn that's disgusting lol... all the more reason not to wear flip flops I guess.

At a house party I dislocated my knee walking from the kitchen to the living room.

Hahaha that's hilarious... really curious how that happened exactly.

Whilst under the influence of illegal drugs I managed to run a swiss army knife through the tip of my index finger.

I was using it to stab a maltesers box, Lots of fun at the time.

And a scar above my left eye from a bottle whack, extremely lucky the glass didn't smash, probably would've lost an eye.

Damn.. Lol I understand the knife part, that really could happen to anyone. Playing with knives when you're fucked up is some how much more enjoyable. The bottle part scares me though, there's always going to be one asshole who thinks it's justified to use a bottle as a weapon.. You're mad lucky.

At a house party I dislocated my knee walking from the kitchen to the living room.

Hahaha that's hilarious... really curious how that happened exactly.

I'd already fucked my knee about 9 months prior. I stood up on the back seat of a school bus (which are fucking packed by the way) and turned but my foot was caught, as a result I dislocated my patella. Never went to the hospital or had it checked or anything, just took 2 days off (the weekend) and went back to school and walking on it with my full weight on it (bad idea). So anyway I went out to a house party, wasn't even remotely tipsy and went to get a beer, on the way back it did the same thing (but without provocation) and I did a 360 and hit the deck. A mate swiped my beer I had to go to hospital and was put on a splint + crutches. I didn't move for the first few days so the crutches were basically useless (the first two days were when I needed them) and anytime I walked the splint fell down so I was moved my desk over to my bed and just went about usual business in my bed. 6 months + a course of physio later it's alright now but every so often I can feel it going and next time they said they might be pushed to do surgery.

well, the dirt bike skimmed the tree and my knee took the full force, shattered the miniscus (apparently that is possible), sprained my ankle and had a tibial plateau fracture, now I have a plate and six screws holding my knee together and it hurts everyday and randomly will give out.

But I get medical weed now :D:weed:

http://hon.nucleusinc.com/imagescooked/3621W.jpg

Im an electrician, and i was working on an panel installing a breaker.

Electrical panels care two or three phases of electrical voltage, and when they short out there can be a huge arc, depending on how much current is flowing through them, how far away the service transformer is, ect..

Because of this, panel buss's have insulation seperating one phase from the other.

The particular panel i was working in was a panel that required bolt in breakers, where the breaker is manually screwed on too the buss (most residential panels slide onto the buss)

Because of the way panel is configured, you cant see the insulation. And in this panel, the insulation wasnt there.

I was screwing the breaker onto the buss, wearing on the required safety equipment, except for arc-flash goggles...

The screw apparently went through into a second phase, shorting out between phases, resulting in a huge arc flash which was not only bright, but shot out molten metal, simular to an arc-welder.

I felt fine, so i just figured it was a close call.

Later that night, my eyes felt a little rough, but i figured it was ok, to be expected.. So i went to bed.

At about 2 or 3 i woke up to the absolute worst pain i have ever, ever experienced. I couldnt drive to the hospital so had to call an ambulance, the pain was terrible...

They gave me some eye medicine and cleared it up but it was crazy crazy crazy pain.

I'll start with my football (soccer) injuries....

I have torn, strained or ripped every muscle and tendon in both my legs at some stage - a vicious circle of not quite recovering enough from the previous injury before fucking up a different part of my leg.

Broken both my wrists - one from slipping over stopping suddenly for a bad pass, the other from having my hand in the wrong position while trying to stop a 100mph shot at point blank range as goalkeeper

Broken foot - got stomped in a tackle breaking a number of the smaller bones in my foot, was in a moonboot for about 2 months

Broken and cracked ribs - happened about 3 or 4 times, mostly by getting an accidental elbow in the ribs

The most painful injury though, while playing soccer, was when I was running one way with the ball and went to cross it 90 degrees to my left. I spun my body and kicked the ball with my right foot but lost my footing and ended up flying through the air sideways towards my right. All my weight landed on my left ass cheek, which stopped, while momentum (and my right arse cheek) continued going towards the right. It felt like someone was trying to rip me open starting with my anus!!! I just lay there crying (I was 26) for 5 minutes, too scared to check my pants. Didn't end up too bad but that was more painful than breaking my wrist.

That's just football :D

Best Life Threatening Moment - spontaneous pneumothorax (lung puncture) a month after San Andreas came out. 2 weeks in hospital, morphine drip and tv and ps2 loaded bedside - gotta love free healthcare!!!

Scariest Injury - waking up on a mushroom trip in a pool of my own blood, turns out I face planted my granite bench either because I was headbanging or I forgot to exhale my bong hit.

Embarrassing - playing neighbourhood war games as a kid, leading my troops into battle, jumped a barb wire fence, shoe lace got caught. General Ginginho ended up upside down, foot still caught in the fence with a huge gash in his ankle.

Worst thing that has happened to me medically was having my foot impaled my a Christmas tree stand.

I've never even been in a life threatening situation. :(

I broke my arm playing red rover during recess in the fourth grade.

They called me over and boy did I break through their arms, I felt proud, I was laughing and smiling and as I slowed down my foot got tangled up and boom straight down I went.

I put my arms straight out instinctively and it caused a major fracture, that if I was older than 18, would have caused my whole wrist to shatter.

The first part is a little embarrassing though.

I broke my arm playing red rover during recess in the fourth grade.

I did the same, but the other way around. I felt awful for a long, long time. :(

• Like 1

Stupid story short, my friend ran me over, hurt like a muthafucka.

Just some medical advice, if you've fractured or broken a bone, please go to ER so that they can X-ray and fix it into place properly. Otherwise it may heal deformed.

Just some medical advice, if you've fractured or broken a bone, please go to ER so that they can X-ray and fix it into place properly. Otherwise it may heal deformed.

:french: That's crazy.. I've gotten my foot run over before but it wasn't bad but I can't imagine how bad it would hurt happening to any other party of the body.

And yeah that's some good advice I wish I would have taken. I'm about 5 weeks into letting my boxers fracture heal without medical attention and there's still a bone sticking up in my hand and my pinky knuckle is in a completely different spot than it used to be. Oh well, I figure it will probably wind up breaking again eventually since it didn't heal right, so next time I'll head to the ER right away (Y)

:french: That's crazy.. I've gotten my foot run over before but it wasn't bad but I can't imagine how bad it would hurt happening to any other party of the body.

And yeah that's some good advice I wish I would have taken. I'm about 5 weeks into letting my boxers fracture heal without medical attention and there's still a bone sticking up in my hand and my pinky knuckle is in a completely different spot than it used to be. Oh well, I figure it will probably wind up breaking again eventually since it didn't heal right, so next time I'll head to the ER right away (Y)

The power of hindsight!

• Like 1

My knuckles are moved back too. Years of accidentally bending my fingers back and just generally numerous hand breaks/fractures that I haven't bothered going to A+E for. Hands heal fast back to general use but I heard that breaks can actually take years to heal properly. I even have a bruised knuckle right now from the last time I was clumsy and bent my pinky back too far.

Oh I once tripped over a door frame and smashed my nose off a inch thick coffee table. It was real dense wood too not cheap plywood. Took a chunk out, blood splurted out ala throat cut in movies and I have a fairly small but gnarly scar.

• Like 1

I put an ax thru my thumb a few weeks ago, my nail is still falling off.

Please, I need to know more about how the fuck this happened...what on earth were you doing with an axe, chopping wood?