Sign in to follow this  
Brian

Wisdom

I attempted earlier to blame the jews, but you know, it turns out they want gold, not iron so idk. Something to do with the fact that we evolved to deal with..

Brian you caught me. Almost completely plagiarised, but all the same still true.

I mean if a physics professor doesn't know the difference between magnetism and gravity, we're all doomed. Just thought I would get the facts straight from the horse's mouth ( the Horse in this case being the Physics Department at the University of Illinois ).

It is both layman and incorrect to say that gravity is like magnetism. It probably helps people without a scientific background understand it.

The thing about gravity is that we don't know how it works. We all know WHAT gravity can do, but no one can explain why that shit happens. Multiple theories have been suggested in the field of quantum mechanics (i.e. the graviton), string-theory (mathematically incomprehensible for anyone who isn't a string-theorist), and push gravity theory (unfavoured in recent times).

General wisdom

Live every day like it could be your last cos there is always a honky out there wanting to fuck your shit up....

No one ever does but.

I remember coming out of hospital after two weeks and a couple of operations, and just being glad to be alive. Enjoying the small things like the wind in my hair, and the sun on my face, seeing the world and everyone in it going on their merry way, oblivious of all the pain and suffering going on in the hospital. And I made a promise to myself, that I would live my life like every day was my last.

Of course this only lasted about 2 weeks, and by the time my wounds healed and the memory of the Pain and the Hospital subsided, I forgot about my promise, and restarted my old ways of taking things for granted. Just like the majority of people do.

Sometimes I think life is like a bad joke.

If you don't learn from histories mistakes you are doomed to repeat them

Often the fear of one evil leads us into a worse.

My two favourite quotes.

It is both layman and incorrect to say that gravity is like magnetism. It probably helps people without a scientific background understand it.

The thing about gravity is that we don't know how it works. We all know WHAT gravity can do, but no one can explain why that shit happens. Multiple theories have been suggested in the field of quantum mechanics (i.e. the graviton), string-theory (mathematically incomprehensible for anyone who isn't a string-theorist), and push gravity theory (unfavoured in recent times).

We can never know for sure why or how anything is. That's why I sometimes believe it futile to attempt to learn.

We can never know for sure why or how anything is. That's why I sometimes believe it futile to attempt to learn.

There is nothing we cannot learn, except that which we do not know we do not know. But that is the beautiful side of the world! In the past 500 years alone it is almost incomprehensible to conceptualise how much we have learnt and how far we have advanced. 2000 years ago people worshiped Mars, and now we have a fucking robot on it!

If nothing, we will learn. Until we answer every question, we will seek answers. This is our existence!

• Like 1

There is nothing we cannot learn, except that which we do not know we do not know. But that is the beautiful side of the world! In the past 500 years alone it is almost incomprehensible to conceptualise how much we have learnt and how far we have advanced. 2000 years ago people worshiped Mars, and now we have a fucking robot on it!

If nothing, we will learn. Until we answer every question, we will seek answers. This is our existence!

Very eloquent, but I can't help but think that with so many theories and hypotheses being proven incorrect every year, it's hard not to wonder how much that we now know is wrong.

The fact that it's constantly changing and information is constantly being updated is what makes science great.

If you take one idea and accept it as fact, no matter how much evidence there is to the contrary and how stupid it is to continue believing your idea, well, you might as well be religious.

• Like 1

The fact that it's constantly changing and information is constantly being updated is what makes science great.

If you take one idea and accept it as fact, no matter how much evidence there is to the contrary and how stupid it is to continue believing your idea, well, you might as well be religious.

I agree, once again I'll leave you with Carl Sagan:

In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time someting like that happened in politics or religion.

- Carl Sagan 1987 CSICOP Keynote address

Very eloquent, but I can't help but think that with so many theories and hypotheses being proven incorrect every year, it's hard not to wonder how much that we now know is wrong.

The thing about that is. Everything we know about the world, and existence itself, is based on our limited perception of existence. Just about everything in life can possibly be false, because perhaps there is some major part of being that we missed due to our limited perception, which could dillute our understanding. The best example I can think of is the Matrix; you are led to believe it is 1999, you have a house, a job, an income etc. When in reality, you're a vegetable sitting in a test tube.

• Like 1

The thing about that is. Everything we know about the world, and existence itself, is based on our limited perception of existence. Just about everything in life can possibly be false, because perhaps there is some major part of being that we missed due to our limited perception, which could dillute our understanding. The best example I can think of is the Matrix; you are led to believe it is 1999, you have a house, a job, an income etc. When in reality, you're a vegetable sitting in a test tube.

Exactly, more the reason to challenge everything you learn. As opposed to accept that it is insurmountable and give up.

Exactly, more the reason to challenge everything you learn. As opposed to accept that it is insurmountable and give up.

Indeed. But more people need to understand that just because something is mainstream knowledge, there is ALWAYS another explanation, not necessarily better, but not always worse. The problem is people find an answer, and accept it. They don't challenge the norm enough (in my opinion).

There's a thought experiment I'd like to quote. But the name of the Philosopher keeps slipping my mind. But it goes something like this: Essentially he sat in a dark room and questioned everything he knew. By the end of it he had determined one thing. Nothing he knew was true. There was a lamp in the room when he entered, but once he had turned out the lights, it was no longer visible, how do you know it's there? How do you know that it hadn't been stolen while the lights were out? Well touch it. But what if that sensation is false? What if there's some invisible force stimulating the nerves making it only seem like there's a lamp there? Everything has the possibility to be false. The only thing in life that CAN NOT be proven as false, is the fact that you exist. You are experiencing, you are interacting, you are living, so somewhere, out there in the ether, your consciousness does exist. Some people ask what the meaning of life is. In my opinion it's right there. Even if all of existence were to crumble instantly, The only thing you could never deny is that fact that you existed.

Summarized- If everything in life is fake, the only thing that is truth is your consciousness.

The thing about that is. Everything we know about the world, and existence itself, is based on our limited perception of existence. Just about everything in life can possibly be false, because perhaps there is some major part of being that we missed due to our limited perception, which could dillute our understanding.

That's what I was trying to convey.

Well now we've entered the realm of philosophy, never really my forté.

However, I did once read an excellent book that parallels with what you are saying. You may be familiar with the books maxim: "Nothing is true, everything is permitted." Assassins Creed took the motto from the novel, entitled Alamut.

In fact, it's a story that has parallels with the matrix, but far less "out of this world".

Basically, a (persian?) army commander convinces his troops that he can temporarily send them to heaven at will. He does this by secretly drugging them and sending them to the gardens behind the fortress, which he has mimicked to look like heaven. This way he earns their full obedience and convinces them that their death will send them straight to heaven. Ultimately, he fools them into a reality that does not exist.

Basically, a (persian?) army commander convinces his troops that he can temporarily send them to heaven at will. He does this by secretly drugging them and sending them to the gardens behind the fortress, which he has mimicked to look like heaven. This way he earns their full obedience and convinces them that their death will send them straight to heaven. Ultimately, he fools them into a reality that does not exist.

Interesting, I've always been a big Philosopher so forgive me if I bring it up a lot. Also, if anybody knows the thought experiment I'm referencing please tell me. I've been trying to remember all day.

Drugs can do a lot to a mind. More than many people initially realise before they are talked in to (or tricked, on occasion) consuming them.

The low level of awareness also helps convey the lie. Depending on which drug it was that the soldiers (?) consumed I would guess it would be fairly easy to trick anyone into a false sense of reality.

icon11.gif

Kinda random but on the subject of drugs like that army commander story

Dude had his death faked, the was dug up and was drugged for two years to be a slave

the Haitian man Clairvius Narcisse. In 1962, Narcisse was about 40 years old when he checked himself into the hospital complaining of pain and difficulty in breathing. Two days later he was dead, and his official death certificate is on file. His body lay in the morgue for 24 hours (in unsurvivable refrigeration) until his family collected his body and buried him in the family plot. 18 years later, Narcisse suddenly identified himself to his sister in the street and told a shocking tale. He'd been conscious but unable to move or breathe during his entire stay in the hospital and subsequent burial. After three days underground, his coffin was suddenly opened. He was beaten, gagged, forced to take a hallucinogenic drug, and dragged away to face two years of slave labor on a sugar plantation, as one of many similarly imprisoned zombies. He reported being in a dream state with no willpower the whole time. Finally another zombie killed a captor with a hoe, and the zombies all escaped. Narcisse wandered for sixteen years, afraid to return home, convinced that his brother had been behind the plot. Then, upon his brother's death, he visited his sister.[/font']

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4262

Heard of this story a few times

Yep. Voodoo zombies aren't acknowledged very often, but they're real, and surprisingly easy to make.

A little datura or a carefully sliced bit of pufferfish, and with a little nudge in the right direction, you've got yourself a high-quality zombie slave.

Yep. Voodoo zombies aren't acknowledged very often, but they're real, and surprisingly easy to make.

A little datura or a carefully sliced bit of pufferfish, and with a little nudge in the right direction, you've got yourself a high-quality zombie slave.

Sounds like the voice of experience...