Sign in to follow this  
Edgecrusher

A few years late but, erm.. yeah...

I was looking through the cheap games on Amazon and decided to order this. I know it's pretty old but I have never played Half Life and with Portal 2 coming this year with Steamworks support for PS3, I thought I might as well buy it. It looks to be great value for money at £12.67, anyone else got this? Still play it?

I got all the games on Steam, yeah. HL2 is pretty good, TF2 is a bit meh but Portal is great. Not gonna pay £30 for the new portal like..

• Like 1

I rented The Orange Box but Portal was the only game that interested me. I bought Portal: Still Alive off XBLA and I've pre-ordered Portal 2, which is coming out next month. Five games for £13 isn't a bad deal though, even if they're fairly old.

• Like 1

I was addicted to TF2 at one point. Then Valve stopped caring about PS3 owners.

The 360 version wasn't great, but the PS3 port (which I think EA did?) was fucking awful.

The 360 version wasn't great, but the PS3 port (which I think EA did?) was fucking awful.

It was shockingly poor. It seems that Valve have learnt their lesson though, what with the plans to link PS3 and Steamworks together.

Everyone said that, but i never experienced a problem with portal or half-live two when i played it on the PS3..

It wasn't really Portal or HL2 that was the problem (though HL2 did have a ton of bugs) but there was no online support for TF2 at all. Valve seemed to care for the 360 community more than PS3.

TF2 was epic. I think theres still about 4 people playing it on the ps3. I dont think they've heard about cod and fifa. It was majorly buggy at times, I always had lag aswell, dont know if it was my internet but it pissed me off big time. still a quality game, I can still remember all the time I wasted on there. I must of clocked up weeks of game time in total.

It was shockingly poor. It seems that Valve have learnt their lesson though, what with the plans to link PS3 and Steamworks together.

Everyone said that, but i never experienced a problem with portal or half-live two when i played it on the PS3..

It wasn't really Portal or HL2 that was the problem (though HL2 did have a ton of bugs) but there was no online support for TF2 at all. Valve seemed to care for the 360 community more than PS3.

There was no support for the 360 either, because of the lack of Steamworks. I hope this PS3 Steamworks support goes farther than just Portal 2, I think cross-platform multiplayer would be awesome on a lot of games.

I stand corrected. :) I still remember the days when there was no such thing as patches like it was yesterday anyway, so I'm not too bothered *shows age*. I ordered this for the most part for HL2 anyway and to play catch up before Portal 2 comes out TF2 is just icing really.

Well, they did say the PS3 sucked. At least, until $ony paid them off and now they <3 sony.

It's not all about money this time though; with Xbox Live being a premium service, Microsoft would never allow for competing third party software to be released on their console. That's why the 360 version of Portal 2 will probably not recieve as much support as the PS3/PC version. It's a shame really, it would've been nice to have all three platforms competing at the same time in multiplayer.

Hopefully the release of Portal 2 will be a stepping-stone in the process of game development of Valve for PS3. With the intergration of Steamworks on both PS3 and PC allowing users to play each other cross-platform, we really are beginning to see signs of great progress for both Sony and Valve. With any luck we'll be seeing other Valve IPs make it to PS3 like Left 4 Dead.

So steam will be coming to PS3? Sounds pretty cool to me.

Pretty much. If you buy a game for the PS3 you can also play the PC version of it through Steam. At least that's how I think Steamworks is going to work.

^Yeah, not sure if it's confirmed for anything other than Portal 2 yet though, but it seems like it. There's rumours that it will be replacing the current friends list though which would be awesome; unlimited friends>>>>100 and PlayStation gamers would finally get cross-game chat support. *crosses fingers*

I loved Portal. Loved it. Never played TF2; I didn't play it on PC, so I couldn't be arsed on the console. I liked Half-Life 2 alot, until I got to the Sandtrap Level. Then I quit playing.

I might download Portal from XBLA and I'll play Portal 2 sometime late this year when it's drastically dropped in price.

I bought the orange box over a year ago for $20 (Dirt cheap for a 360 game in Australia). I still haven't taken it out of the case yet. Too many other games came out, and it's pretty much at the bottom of my "To Play" pile. Just above Lost Odysessy and below Ghostbusters.

It will never be too late to get Half-Life and HL2. The extra episodes I don't know much about, but both the main games are classics that never gets too old because they are quality. The graphics looks dated of course, especially for HL1, but it is nice enough. Both games will give you a good experience.

I just don't like the Steam concept very much, on HL2 you have to use it even when you have the disc version.

Buy and play!