Pothatuu

Dynamic Pedestrians - What would impress you?

Hey guys,

The lastest game informer suggested that V would have more dynamic peds this time round. They said this in early GTA IV previews as well, but the peds didn't really wow me with their day to day actions.

I've seen them smoke, catch trains, loiter, occasionally park cars and get out, sweep, water plants, rake, dig, carry groceries, make phone calls, litter, take photos, buy hot dogs, evade the police on foot, chat with other peds and a few other things. Impressive enough details, but at the same time, a little too subtle to stand out.

Red Dead Redemption did impress me though. The pedestrians would spend the day working (cutting up meat, making horseshoes, selling items in stores), then wander off to play poker in the bar, or buy drinks, or even curl up in bed. If you followed a regular ped in a town, you could actually see them living out a mini-life.

But the bar was raised again for me in L.A Noire. I spent some time sitting in a little restaurant. I noticed a man come in (a regular pedestrian) and take a seat at a booth. The waitress finished off topping up customers coffee, then came over to the man with a menu. The man pointed out a meal on the menu while the waitress took down the order on a notepad. She then crossed over to the kitchen, and gave the order to the chef, who began cooking it up immediately. The cook placed a plate down on the counter, which the waitress took over to the customer. The customer ate his meal, then got up and left. It took about 10 minutes IRL, but I'd never seen anything like it in a video game before. All throughout L.A Noire are plenty of dynamic pedestrian interactions that you would never notice if you just played the game through normally.

So what would it take to impress you as far as dynamic pedestrians are concerned this time around? Should we be able to see a random peds life from leaving home in the morning to returning to the same home at night? A lot of people have poo-pooed the realism in later GTA games, so maybe you just want them to be found fixed in the same place every day and night like a lot of other free-roam franchises?

• Like 1

Well they said that the peds got on buses and worked so it sound like maybe they took the path of ULTRAREALISIM this time around. But what would impress me is; like you see a ped right, so you follow him to see this so called "life" they have...

He comes out the doors of the IAA tower and begins walking down the sidewalk toward a car garage. He takes out his phone dials something and puts it up to his ear; "hi hon just got off of work, ah it was crazy some guy apparently was repelling down the side of the building, broke through a window, took some dude, jumped out and escaped with the other guy on a parachute! I know it's crazy right? Well do you need anything from the store? Okay I'll get em...bye!" he hangs up just as he gets into his feltzer. You grab a car just across the way and follow him in your car. He drives up infront of a grocery store and gets out. A few minutes later he comes out with a shopping cart full of bags...he pushes the cart over to his car, pops the trunk and starts loading the groceries in. After he's finished he closes the trunk and gets in. He backs up and hits the shopping cart. He gets out looks at the scratch on the back and say,"Ahhh SHIT!" he kicks the cart into the middle of the parking lot, gets back in his car and drives away. You follow him to his home in the suburbs. He backs his car into the driveway and gets out infront of a nice two story house. He walks up to the door and opens it, and you hear "OH MY GOD! Brianne BRIANNE?!!! FUCK NOOO! " then a second or two passes...POW! Dogs start barking and car alarms go off. The cops pull up and close off the scene. Later paramedics pull up and take the body on a strecher out of the house and into the ambulance. A crowd that has gathered becomes hushed as the ambulance drives off. You go home and save the game when you come back police tape is still around the house. You do a few missions and switch characters, you turn on a tv and Weasel news is on talking about a murder and suicide. Your jaw then drops.

• Like 4

Well they said that the peds got on buses and worked so it sound like maybe they took the path of ULTRAREALISIM this time around. But what would impress me is; like you see a ped right, so you follow him to see this so called "life" they have... He comes out the doors of the IAA tower and begins walking down the sidewalk toward a car garage. He takes out his phone dials something and puts it up to his ear; "hi hon just got off of work, ah it was crazy some guy apparently was repelling down the side of the building, broke through a window, took some dude, jumped out and escaped with the other guy on a parachute! I know it's crazy right? Well do you need anything from the store? Okay I'll get em...bye!" he hangs up just as he gets into his feltzer. You grab a car just across the way and follow him in your car. He drives up infront of a grocery store and gets out. A few minutes later he comes out with a shopping cart full of bags...he pushes the cart over to his car, pops the trunk and starts loading the groceries in. After he's finished he closes the trunk and gets in. He backs up and hits the shopping cart. He gets out looks at the scratch on the back and say,"Ahhh SHIT!" he kicks the cart into the middle of the parking lot, gets back in his car and drives away. You follow him to his home in the suburbs. He backs his car into the driveway and gets out infront of a nice two story house. He walks up to the door and opens it, and you hear "OH MY GOD! Brianne BRIANNE?!!! FUCK NOOO! " then a second or two passes...POW! Dogs start barking and car alarms go off. The cops pull up and close off the scene. Later paramedics pull up and take the body on a strecher out of the house and into the ambulance. A crowd that has gathered becomes hushed as the ambulance drives off. You go home and save the game when you come back police tape is still around the house. You do a few missions and switch characters, you turn on a tv and Weasel news is on talking about a murder and suicide. Your jaw then drops.

I think that's a bit too far, as cool as that would be it's not gonna happen...

• Like 1

Well they said that the peds got on buses and worked so it sound like maybe they took the path of ULTRAREALISIM this time around. But what would impress me is; like you see a ped right, so you follow him to see this so called "life" they have...

He comes out the doors of the IAA tower and begins walking down the sidewalk toward a car garage. He takes out his phone dials something and puts it up to his ear; "hi hon just got off of work, ah it was crazy some guy apparently was repelling down the side of the building, broke through a window, took some dude, jumped out and escaped with the other guy on a parachute! I know it's crazy right? Well do you need anything from the store? Okay I'll get em...bye!" he hangs up just as he gets into his feltzer. You grab a car just across the way and follow him in your car. He drives up infront of a grocery store and gets out. A few minutes later he comes out with a shopping cart full of bags...he pushes the cart over to his car, pops the trunk and starts loading the groceries in. After he's finished he closes the trunk and gets in. He backs up and hits the shopping cart. He gets out looks at the scratch on the back and say,"Ahhh SHIT!" he kicks the cart into the middle of the parking lot, gets back in his car and drives away. You follow him to his home in the suburbs. He backs his car into the driveway and gets out infront of a nice two story house. He walks up to the door and opens it, and you hear "OH MY GOD! Brianne BRIANNE?!!! FUCK NOOO! " then a second or two passes...POW! Dogs start barking and car alarms go off. The cops pull up and close off the scene. Later paramedics pull up and take the body on a strecher out of the house and into the ambulance. A crowd that has gathered becomes hushed as the ambulance drives off. You go home and save the game when you come back police tape is still around the house. You do a few missions and switch characters, you turn on a tv and Weasel news is on talking about a murder and suicide. Your jaw then drops.

i would kill him right when he got off his phone.i would be like someone isn't going home today.

• Like 2

If the concept of dynamic pedestrians is carried that far, I'm gonna feel really bad about plowing through crowds in a pickup truck.

• Like 7

If the concept of dynamic pedestrians is carried that far, I'm gonna feel really bad about plowing through crowds in a pickup truck.

me to, it will give you second thoughts before killing some random person in the streets.

• Like 1

It'd be really interesting if you could not only follow a pedestrian throughout its daily life, but also affect it yourself! For example you've been following a guy who leaves home in the morning to go to work at 9am every day. One day you decide to steal his car before he leaves and he misses work and ends up getting fired. You keep following him through unemployment and watch him loose his house and have to move to a crappy apartment.

Honestly I doubt it would go into that much detail, so really if pedestrians just have lives outside of being a random pedestrian that would be enough to impress me.

It wouldn't even be possible to go into that much detail, unless there were, say, half a dozen peds who have such detailed lives, which I am certain won't happen.

As far as that seems to go and I doubt that'd happen, it would be AMAZING. Also imagine if a few game days later you see a funeral for the deceased person. Separate and ongoing lives within the game would be amazing. But as I started out before I don't really see that happening just yet.

It wouldn't even be possible to go into that much detail, unless there were, say, half a dozen peds who have such detailed lives, which I am certain won't happen.

Oh, God. That'll take us back to Vice City. Crowds of identical old ladies and pimps. Good times.

Walking, eating, talking, working, talking fighting... And committing crimes (robbing stores, murder, grand theft auto) etc...

"Talking" is mentioned twice, but okay. Good ideas up there. ^

I know, but if that was the case this topic would be finished in one page because there's only so much pedestrians can do.

Just fucking with you, Marcus.

I'd like to see peds get fully arrested. Literally dragged to the ground, maybe even beat a little xD But they did confirm cops having car chases, that is a cool upgrade. Personally I'm going to follow those chases to see how they go.

• Like 1

I'd like to see peds get fully arrested. Literally dragged to the ground, maybe even beat a little xD But they did confirm cops having car chases, that is a cool upgrade. Personally I'm going to follow those chases to see how they go.

i like this idea.

You got some imagination there.....

• Like 2

Oh, God. That'll take us back to Vice City. Crowds of identical old ladies and pimps. Good times.

I meant, half a dozen unique peds spread throughout the map, with full lives. So, out of the immense number of meaningless peds you'll come across, six are unique, and have fully detailed lives.

What if you kill all the people in LS? Will there spawn new peds when you don't look?

Or you are wanted and you kill all the police, what happens?

Tourism and people moving to the city have always sort of explained the lack of population drop in the games.

• Like 1

Hyep...I'm a bad ass. OFICIALLY NO JOKE.

What I wrote seems more like a T.V. show pilot or something...WOW I should dtart REALLY writing. OFF TO NEVERLAND!

I wouldn't mind that, maybe if you witness their stories play out till the end you'll get a trophy. In a way, it would be VERY similar to RDR's "Stranger Missions" so I doubt it's impossible.

i think the peds should just act more normal. i think at the level of LAN would be sufficiant, but i would like to interact with them more. in RDR you could say hello and a tip of your hat, kill them, or even hog tie them up and stick them on your horse. I would atleast like to see the same, if not more

• Like 1

i think the peds should just act more normal. i think at the level of LAN would be sufficiant, but i would like to interact with them more. in RDR you could say hello and a tip of your hat, kill them, or even hog tie them up and stick them on your horse. I would atleast like to see the same, if not more

it would be pretty cool if instead of hogtie someone, you could handcuff them. maybe kill a cop and you can take his handcuffs, or pickpocket them from him. and you can use it during a fight, like when you knock someone down you can quickly handcuff them and to what you could do in RDR, like instead of putting them on a horse put them in your trunk and all that. i would kidnap so many people and just take them out to rural areas and "dispose" of them...

• Like 8

When I read about the concept of dynamic peds in the articles, I was intrigued. I'm hoping that these interactions aren't limited to a repeating cycle of only a few different things, like the random encounters in RDR, or the random characters in GTA IV which are all a variation of "I need a favour" (drive me someplace, beat up that guy, go get my money, etc). I'd be impressed if there's an infinite variety of interactions.

I'd like to have the option to partake or walk away from the interaction and any mission that follows. would be great to control over how Michael/Trevor/Franklin responds, too, as in positively or negatively (Nice, vs Asshole mode).

i wana change to frankling and find him pulling a bong since he works at a herbal place, also smokeing peds, crackheads trying to sell dolly bags and you find out its salt and go find him and kill him and the ability to pick up chicks in bars have sex with them in your car then kick her out and make her walk home and listen to her cry... now that would impress me :wall: