Sign in to follow this  
nbur4556

20 US states petitioning to secede from the US

right, but its a petition. like when people vote, lets say 70% of people in a state(which is very high) vote on a measure. 40% in favor 60% not in favor. Thats only 70% of the population. the rest of the 30% were quiet and their voices not heard. But the measure still fails nonetheless. but those people were still there. And this petition may be state by state but its on a federal level so any us citizen can sign the petition on any state they want. New yorkers could sign to have texas succeed, just because they dont like them.

i still don't get it... what's the point?? why the hell would you further divide this country?? this just goes to show that obama will struggle the next four years because the butthurt republicans are gonna pull the same bullshit and refuse to work with the president to change this country...

again, i fucking hate the ignorant people of this country... your man lost, move on... in 4 years, try harder...

Despite all the hoopla, a legal and preaceful seceding will never happen.

I'll be the first to admit, I didn't study Consitutional Law in college, only Criminal Law. However, if I recall, the Supreme Court's ruling on the matter is two-fold. After the Civil War, the Court ruled that seceding from the Union is in fact unconstitutional, but also a state may attempt to gain its independence through a successful revolution -- tried, and failed once before.

Despite being unconsitutional in the Courts, however, like all matters regarding the Constitution I believe it could be brought up before the states just like a normal federal amendment. If the petitioning state could bring it before Congress and the States, it could possibily result in a legal seceding. If 3/4 majority (38 states) ratify, they could in fact legally expel a state from the Union.

As I said...it will never happen legally or peacefully.

Whats legal is determined by government. If you succeed from a government, your no longer required to abide by it's rules (if you win) (unless you loose).

Yeah...that's exactly what I said when referring to the Supreme Court ruling -- they're the ones that determines what's legal, not government -- checks and balances. Unlawfully seceding would ultimately result in war. The loser would then be subject to the terms of the victorious party.

i still don't get it... what's the point?? why the hell would you further divide this country?? this just goes to show that obama will struggle the next four years because the butthurt republicans are gonna pull the same bullshit and refuse to work with the president to change this country...

again, i fucking hate the ignorant people of this country... your man lost, move on... in 4 years, try harder...

What is the point should be the question the feds are asking the states. I went to the whitehouse.gov site and for my state, the reason for said petition was the state believes the federal government is not responsible enough to represent our state and our state believes its financial well-being is better off in our own hands, other than the hands of the government. I wonder if other states have a similar reason or are just trying to join the band-wagon.

the federal government is not responsible enough to represent our state and our state believes its financial well-being is better off in our own hands, other than the hands of the government.

About 200 years late for that shit.

There never should have been a federal government, and people are just now figuring it out. Guess what? Too fucking late. Everyone is fucked.

• Like 1

the federal government is not responsible enough to represent our state and our state believes its financial well-being is better off in our own hands, other than the hands of the government.

About 200 years late for that shit.

There never should have been a federal government, and people are just now figuring it out. Guess what? Too fucking late.

not too late, People are just starting to wake up and leave the sheep herd. Occupy wall st. and these succession petitions is a sign that there is still a chance to wake up and change something (not saying occupy or these petitions will change anything) Nothing significant will probably happen, but then again stranger things have happened....

I think a two seperate nations might make the country stronger...

What would happen if all the 30+ states that are trying to succeed all formed their own, new country. Like West United States and East United States, well i guess they wouldnt be united anymore lol. It would be West America and East America.

1 country split in 2 would either be 1: good 2:bad. But i agree it could make america stronger. The trade system would flourish and it would bring back all our manufacturing jobs we shipped out to developoing nations.

a government, for the people, by the people... instead it's a government for their best interest, by the ones who donate the most...

spliting the states isn't all that bad of an idea, but there wouldn't a distinct north vs. south, we'd be spread out all over the place, and every 4 years, some states would want to change sides... it's really not going to work that well...

a government, for the people, by the people... instead it's a government for their best interest, by the ones who donate the most...

spliting the states isn't all that bad of an idea, but there wouldn't a distinct north vs. south, we'd be spread out all over the place, and every 4 years, some states would want to change sides... it's really not going to work that well...

more like for the rich people, by the poor people. http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread899020/pg1

some people are so rich it makes me sick

That was only because it was new... Every government gets taken over

Leave it as one country, but let each state govern itself, no overall government. We don't need a government to be united.

the way it should be... we've given the gov't too many responsibilities to where we're so dependent on them... it was always meant to be up to the states, with the gov't merely helping along the process... instead over the years, we've gotten more lazy and ask the gov't to almost everything... shit's backwards now...

How do you create an organized military, infrastructure, and international policy without a unified government?

you don't... you stay out of other peoples business and defend your homeland like we did in the 1700's... yea looking back it sounds rather stupid, but if we didn't create a massive army and policed the world, we probably wouldn't have to worry about that sort of thing anyways... in times of war, the colonies united... i would image we could do the same if our borders were threatened again...

French war????

Also, america didnt exist until 1776...

Or your suggesting a constant state of violent revolution would lead to a better government!

see what happens when you cheat Ron Paul out of a nomination GOP? if you were paying attention to the primaries it is obvios that Ron paul got most of the votes. i believe without a doubt that the GOP rigged the primaries for Romney, and he lost...

btw. fuck romney and obama.

@QD -i was talking about the american revolution when i said 1700's...

after the war, we disbanded the continental army and the citizens went back to being farmers... the government shortly after created the military to serve the united states... but if we're to be under individual state rule, we'd need smaller armies, which could also pose a problem on those borders...

but yea, i was implying that if we didn't build a massive army and impose our will across the world, we wouldn't have a need for such a massive military... state armies could perhaps do the job of keeping our borders safe, and under certain times of war declared by congress, the armies would unite... congress is there to carry out our orders... and even if some of the states didn't want to, it's still put to a vote...

congress can function without government... congress is suppose to be in control by the people, which doesn't happen anymore, but it's the congresses job to protect us from the government... instead, they've become the government, voting on things that benefit them and their party, not the states they represent...