Sign in to follow this  
nbur4556

20 US states petitioning to secede from the US

So apparently Obama winning the Presidency upset a lot of people. 24 states are petitioning to secede from the US, that's almost half! Texas for example already has over 25,000 signatures as of today!

Here's the link:

http://21stcenturyscreenshots.wordpress.com/2012/11/12/breaking-states-secede/

So what are all your opinions on this? Would it be better off for the states to secede, or stick with their current government? And if all these states start seceding, what's going to happen to America in the long run?

First off Texas has a population of 25,674,681, in other words 25,000 people is a drop in the bucket.

Also these petitions are meaningless. They aren't even from the governments of the states in question, nor is signing limited to citizens of those states (i.e. the Nevada one was posed by a 'Cody D Sparks' and signed by people from SC, MS, MO, IN, TX, TN, AZ, etc).

It's all moot anyway, the Supreme Court ruled in Texas v. White (1869) that no state that has entered the Union under the Constitution can ever leave that Union.

"The Union of the States never was a purely artificial and arbitrary relation. It began among the Colonies, and grew out of common origin, mutual sympathies, kindred principles, similar interests, and geographical relations. It was confirmed and strengthened by the necessities of war, and received definite form and character and sanction from the Articles of Confederation. By these, the Union was solemnly declared to 'be perpetual.' And when these Articles were found to be inadequate to the exigencies of the country, the Constitution was ordained 'to form a more perfect Union.' It is difficult to convey the idea of indissoluble unity more clearly than by these words. What can be indissoluble if a perpetual Union, made more perfect, is not?"

So, to summarize, this is all so pointless. :)

-EDIT-

For fucks sake, 'New York' is one of the states wanting to secede from the Union over Obama? He won that state 63% to 36%! Shit, the guy who posted that one isn't even from there! He's from North Dakota! This is the most made-up bullshit ever! :v

It sounds like you know what's going on better than I do...

First off Texas has a population of 25,674,681, in other words 25,000 people is a drop in the bucket.

But on this part here, I do realize 25,000 not a huge number compared to the total population, but the point in mentioning that number is they were supposed to reach it by December 9th, giving them a whole month (It was started on 11/09). They've reached that number in just three days. If this petition is using people outside of the state of Texas like the one you mentioned in Nevada, I could see how that number could be misleading though as well...

Edit: Oh and here's where I got those dates from

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/peacefully-grant-state-texas-withdraw-united-states-america-and-create-its-own-new-government/BmdWCP8B

It sounds like you know what's going on better than I do...

But on this part here, I do realize 25,000 not a huge number compared to the total population, but the point in mentioning that number is they were supposed to reach it by December 9th, giving them a whole month (It was started on 11/09). They've reached that number in just three days. If this petition is using people outside of the state of Texas like the one you mentioned in Nevada, I could see how that number could be misleading though as well...

Edit: Oh and here's where I got those dates from

https://petitions.wh...rnment/BmdWCP8B

OK, let me put this another way:

38,381 people have "signed" this meaningless "petition" to allow Texas to secede from the Union.

3,294,440 people voted for Obama in Texas.

fucking butthurt republicans... your ideas were no different than the democrats... i bet the people in my neighborhood with the "take back our country" signs want to sign that petition, as if their guy would do anything different... this country has always been divided by red state/blue state... this election round has gotten too ridiculous, and i blame the fucking ignorant people that don't realizing they're debating over the same fucking things, or letting religion rule their decisions...

i fucking hate american politics... same bullshit every 4 years... i wish people would wake up, otherwise we're destined for the same god damn thing 4 years from now...

• Like 2

So apparently Obama winning the Presidency upset a lot of people. 24 states are petitioning to secede from the US, that's almost half! Texas for example already has over 25,000 signatures as of today!

Here's the link:

http://21stcenturyscreenshots.wordpress.com/2012/11/12/breaking-states-secede/

So what are all your opinions on this? Would it be better off for the states to secede, or stick with their current government? And if all these states start seceding, what's going to happen to America in the long run?

I like your ignorant i heard it the radio sensationalist post.

In the long term imagine the united states will merge into the EU or its equivalent.

Heading towards what france/germany is now...

Though, Bones.. The Ideas were very very different, and it is ignorant to say they werent.

Also, several of those states are states which obama won... Intredasting.

romney/obama care would of been the same, war with the middle east would of been the same, more gov't power would of grown, more global domination would of occurred, more money from american citizens would of happened... what am i missing??

Here's the link:

http://21stcenturysc...-states-secede/

I like your ignorant i heard it the radio sensationalist post.

Actually I ignorantly heard about it on facebook thank you very much!

Oregon is on that list. Usually Oregon keeps quiet. 1st they try to legalize weed now we want to become our own country??. Anyone who wants to move to Canada or europe because america is "too liberal" has another thing coming.

1. People don't like Obama?

24673672.jpg

2. It's not really the states. It's butthurt people in the states.

3. I'm not completely up to speed with things but I think the Civil War ended any states' chances of seceding.

There is a pagecalled we the people on the white house web site. if it gets more than 25000 signatures within a week it will be considered. Trust me this is all over the local news. Its extremely highlyunlikely but you never know.

Oregon is on that list. Usually Oregon keeps quiet. 1st they try to legalize weed now we want to become our own country??. Anyone who wants to move to Canada or europe because america is "too liberal" has another thing coming.

1. People don't like Obama?

24673672.jpg

2. It's not really the states. It's butthurt people in the states.

3. I'm not completely up to speed with things but I think the Civil War ended any states' chances of seceding.

There is a pagecalled we the people on the white house web site. if it gets more than 25000 signatures within a week it will be considered. Trust me this is all over the local news. Its extremely highlyunlikely but you never know.

That's not intended for states attempting to secede. Even less so when half of the voters aren't from that state and MAJORITY RULES. Even if 100k wanted to not be a part of the states in new york, more voted for Obama, therefore majority wins.

That's not intended for states attempting to secede. Even less so when half of the voters aren't from that state and MAJORITY RULES. Even if 100k wanted to not be a part of the states in new york, more voted for Obama, therefore majority wins

Its extremely highlyunlikely but you never know.

Despite all the hoopla, a legal and preaceful seceding will never happen.

I'll be the first to admit, I didn't study Consitutional Law in college, only Criminal Law. However, if I recall, the Supreme Court's ruling on the matter is two-fold. After the Civil War, the Court ruled that seceding from the Union is in fact unconstitutional, but also a state may attempt to gain its independence through a successful revolution -- tried, and failed once before.

Despite being unconsitutional in the Courts, however, like all matters regarding the Constitution I believe it could be brought up before the states just like a normal federal amendment. If the petitioning state could bring it before Congress and the States, it could possibily result in a legal seceding. If 3/4 majority (38 states) ratify, they could in fact legally expel a state from the Union.

As I said...it will never happen legally or peacefully.

I could imagine Texas being a new global superpower with all the rich politicians, oil reserves, army bases and hardcore armed rednecks

They couldn't be a superpower. The only real country that would ally with them would be any Iran, North Korea. No ally of the US would support this if it happened.

Besides this wouldn't happen, they're just pissed off because they didn't get what they wanted. Tough shit suck the fuck up and move on. Who in the fuck in their stable mind would support Romney? The guy is a total whackjob who invest's his money outside of America (Great Leader). Besides if Texas did secede from the Union the U.S Military would A) withdrawl B)Attack. They would still be under United States control.

Despite all the hoopla, a legal and preaceful seceding will never happen.

I'll be the first to admit, I didn't study Consitutional Law in college, only Criminal Law. However, if I recall, the Supreme Court's ruling on the matter is two-fold. After the Civil War, the Court ruled that seceding from the Union is in fact unconstitutional, but also a state may attempt to gain its independence through a successful revolution -- tried, and failed once before.

Despite being unconsitutional in the Courts, however, like all matters regarding the Constitution I believe it could be brought up before the states just like a normal federal amendment. If the petitioning state could bring it before Congress and the States, it could possibily result in a legal seceding. If 3/4 majority (38 states) ratify, they could in fact legally expel a state from the Union.

As I said...it will never happen legally or peacefully.

Whats legal is determined by government. If you succeed from a government, your no longer required to abide by it's rules (if you win) (unless you loose).

Who in the fuck in their stable mind would support Romney?

for once we agree on something.Im happy Romney lost(although anyone who has faith in the 2 party system is either ignorant or a sheep who just follows the leader because the TV or internet told them to.) I wrote in gary johnson. But thats besides the point. As far as this petition goes im curious on how it will OFFICIALLY pan out not just 3rd person speculation.....

If California joined up with Texas (with both states having the two largest economy in the US) then they could pull away if they wanted too, If the rest decided to attack then that'd bring in the rest of NATO and UN. Plus it depends on which side the General's would side on.

What would happen if all the 30+ states that are trying to succeed all formed their own, new country. Like West United States and East United States, well i guess they wouldnt be united anymore lol. It would be West America and East America.