JamieMilne

IGN Article [New Screenshots!!]

bones I think you will agree with me.... the driving in GTA IV was top notch.... It scares me that they handed the driving mechanics to Rockstar San Diego because they wanna make it more like a racing game...... If this game drives like Midnight Club L.A., It might just ruin the game for me.

Completely agree! I do hope its a tad more agile, but I dont want to sacrifice physics and realistic to much. Although I will say, some of the vehicles did feel too heavy and slow. I have trust in R* though.

bones I think you will agree with me.... the driving in GTA IV was top notch.... It scares me that they handed the driving mechanics to Rockstar San Diego because they wanna make it more like a racing game...... If this game drives like Midnight Club L.A., It might just ruin the game for me.

Completely agree! I do hope its a tad more agile, but I dont want to sacrifice physics and realistic to much. Although I will say, some of the vehicles did feel too heavy and slow. I have trust in R* though.

I couldn't agree with you too more, I do hate to see gta v blended with midnight, you see, when you are going at 60 mph it is almost impossible, unless you are drifting to take a 2 way street corner with out smashing into something, that is what I used to love about gta iv, being able to outrun any followers or police (which need driving improvements) by being skillful, same thing happens in multiplayer.

now imagine if gta v adopted the ways of driving mechanics such as saints row 3, wouldn't that destroy the whole gta experience?

the one thing that got me off playing saints row 3 was the unrealistic physics of every element of the game, which of course is not that big of a deal for others, but for me personally it is a major point in games, realism, hence why I am a gta fun, they always seem to improve in this department.

we all know that eventually we will get used to whatever R* has to bring to us, that is the way we always follow through anyhow, and that somehow at the end we will prefer the new way, but I have to say, let's all hope the driving mechanics have been improved and not nerfed down for little whiny brats like max payne 3 has, where snipers are almost useless, and dual wielding is ridiculously overpowered.

from what I have seen so far in the trailer, the driving mechanics do not seem that bad, the turns where made perfectly, let's hope the camera is not like midnight club or else driving will be unplayable, and that it keeps the camera to a top notch free degrees of rotation.

what I am a little worried is the crashing physics, although it is safe to assume they are more detailed and improved upon, I am yet to see a crashed car in the next videos or screenshots, because so far I have only seen a cop car with a broken headlight.

I loved GTA IV for it's realism...... I hope they arn't taking that out. The world can feel real, but if the gameplay mechanics don't feel real it fucks everything up.

• Like 1

I don't get the praise for IV's driving. I have never played a game with worse handling. Almost every car in IV had the handling of a tanker driving on ice, and felt just as slow. I dunno about the rest of you, but I would like to be able to make a 20mph turn, or gently nudge the analog stick while driving off-road - without spinning out of control. I want to feel like I'm driving to my destination, not crawling through mud.

If there was something special I needed to do - like holding down a secret 'don't handle like shit' button - I never heard anything about it.

• Like 2

Driver had a button that turned the steering wheel more, you could whip around corners better.

I agree with Massacre though, I felt I was driving so slow. But I'd rather have sim over arcade. I think they will slightly take away the sluggishness but keep it realistic. Increase speed, acc, handling slightly. And also not quite so top heave. Anytime I drove an SUV it almost flipped.

Driver had a button that turned the steering wheel more, you could whip around corners better.

I agree with Massacre though, I felt I was driving so slow. But I'd rather have sim over arcade. I think they will slightly take away the sluggishness but keep it realistic. Increase speed, acc, handling slightly. And also not quite so top heave. Anytime I drove an SUV it almost flipped.

you know what that is actually truth, if they are sticking cars to the ground better as they previously mentioned this will probably not happen as often, in trucks, even in gta iv if you began turning left and right at high speeds in a cop car, the car could flip over, this led me to do amusing 2 wheel stunts with friends, to see who was able to drive in 2 wheels for the longest. this could be somewhat an improvements...

by the way massacre the button was R1 on the ps3, it was called handbreak, all you had to do was to pull it in a timed manner before making the turn and not after, this would lead to drifting the car, it was all about knowing the speed of the car, now if all you did while at gta iv was play with the infernus, I understand why you would have complaints about the handling, it drives like shit, and in my knowledge that is what most people did online anyways pick the lambos, to get away from other players with no problem.

but other slower cars such as the cop car for example (which has a medium speed) and can reach just as high speeds if you knew how to drive it well, could perfectly make turns at around 10-30 mph on quick turns, it was all about accelerating before making the turn, you see in the game at least, when you hit the gas while turning the car would either understeer or oversteer depending on the car, for example if you used "whatever the classic charger was called", make a slow turn and then accelerate, the car would oversteer making you spin around, if you used a heavier car, such as the cavalcade for example, the car would understeer in the same scenario, and accelerating would make you hit a pole or whatever was in the angle as soon as you began accelerating.

I am not trying to give you classes of driving in gta, I just wanted to show you that if you knew the tricks, you could exploit the driving system and drive better than anyone else. I humbly recommend you to try my tips and see how it works for you, maybe then you would see that the driving mechanics of gta iv were not as flawed and that in my personal opinion the only flaw was the steering of incredibly fast cars such as the sultan or infernus, which with a little practice could be mastered.

>>by the way there is another great way of turning in gta iv which is just breaking right before the turn, and accelerating as soon as taking the turn, this would always cause the cars to oversteer a little since, you are reducing the speed and incrementing the speed, and not many people know this but if you went spinning around and lost control of your car there was a quick way to get it back to its line by pressing the gas and the break (not handbreak) at the same time, this of course is not supposed to happen, but it does, so every time you do this you would get back in line with no difficulty (specially at high speeds).

another tip is to control the car while in air, all you have to do is remove your finger from the accelerator and move it to the desired position with the left analog stick, you can literally manually put it in a perfect landing angle to not even scratch the car.

and one last tip I know is that if you burn your wheels (i.e. oversteer them a lot) the car would generally oversteer for a while, this would make doing donuts easy and making quick turns at high speeds faster and less dramatic. (to burn hit brake and accelerator at the same time)

see is not that bad go try it.

I'm thinking that it is possible the new handling may only apply to certain cars, ie; the muscle cars will probably still handle much the same, but the Scooby lookalikes etc. will grip the road a bit more to give the feeling of driving a four wheel drive.

OMG that first screenshot is orgasmic...... This game is beautiful.

calm down dude its just a game lololol

"Just a game"..... You did not just say that.....

• Like 5

OMG that first screenshot is orgasmic...... This game is beautiful.

calm down dude its just a game lololol

"Just a game"..... You did not just say that.....

By the time I get bored of Offline Gta 6 will probably come out

or GTA V episodes of san andreas. lol

I thought they said:

They lost a lot of time making gta 4 dlc's, so they cam up with 3 protag's in one game

I'm thinking that it is possible the new handling may only apply to certain cars, ie; the muscle cars will probably still handle much the same, but the Scooby lookalikes etc. will grip the road a bit more to give the feeling of driving a four wheel drive.

Sorry to dissapoint you but it is very very unlikely.

Rockstar said the driving of IV was NOT good and wanted to improve it.

I don't think they will let some cars behind, its not that big deal, they only improved the grip and not the handling

The driving of IV wasn't that good, you keep slipping for almost every move.

They said the cars where like floating on the water because there was no grip.

Noticed that as well. Now that it's all but confirmed that L.S. is the only major city we're getting, they probably want to focus on the urbanity for these rounds of screenshots (possibly worried that some people aren't as interested in seeing somewhat action-less countryside shots . . . even though I'm more curious to see those, honestly). Seems they're focusing mainly on vehicles and the protags in mission scenarios. I've also noticed an exhorbitant amount of base-jumping/parachuting shots. Makes me wonder if there's a a lot of focus on that this time around? I certainly wouldn't mind if that were the case :D

They better make smaller cities, If there is only going to be one City its going to feel much like Gta IV combined RDR..And if there is only one Airport.....I'm just going to be speechless...

there will be one city - los santos. with surrounding countryside. filled with towns. and there could be country side or desert landing strips to land planes att

there would have to be more than one airstrip, remember in the first trailer when we saw the cropduster? there definitely wouldnt be any cropdusters in the main airport, so that leaves the possibilities open for some local airstrips for smaller planes.

there will be one city - los santos. with surrounding countryside. filled with towns. and there could be country side or desert landing strips to land planes att

there would have to be more than one airstrip, remember in the first trailer when we saw the cropduster? there definitely wouldnt be any cropdusters in the main airport, so that leaves the possibilities open for some local airstrips for smaller planes.

Really good point

I'm on the 'I <3 IV car handling' bandwagon. Only because I got really good at driving, i used to win a lot online. And I liked the learning curve to driving in IV. Arcade driving is easy to pick up, but feels unnatural, like you're driving feather on ice rather than a muscle car with a heavy chassis .

• Like 1

To me it seems R* is pretty much done with the single player, hence all the info, but still has quite a way to go with the multiplayer seeing as how reluctant they are to talk about it.

I'm on the 'I <3 IV car handling' bandwagon. Only because I got really good at driving, i used to win a lot online. And I liked the learning curve to driving in IV. Arcade driving is easy to pick up, but feels unnatural, like you're driving feather on ice rather than a muscle car with a heavy chassis .

^ This. Driving in IV is an art, as it should be.

Total opposite for me, I would spin out or just slide whenever I tried to turn with moderate speed

loved the driving... it's what made the game so damn fun to me... knowing how to handle the car you just took makes it all the better... i am guessing a lot of you complaining gave up too early... i am a fucking wizard at driving just about anything, even driving offroad is super fun...

i understand the steep learning curve that probably a lot of you gave up on, but i found it to be the best driving simulator ever... cars in real life have a hard time making turns at high speeds, it takes skill to work the brake and handbrake to make that turn... you guys just want a game about driving to be easier, which goes against what a driving game is all about... there should be a learning curve, and once you master it, you can use it to your advantage...

-----------------------------

there was a partial piece of artwork released today by IGN that i was surprised didn't get posted in here yet...

Character-inline.jpg

i wonder what's in that trunk :lol:...

• Like 1