GeneticallySuperior

Security Cameras and What That Could Mean For Gameplay?

I have a theory that surveillance cameras and security systems will play a major role in GTA V. My theory originated while combing through the premier trailer and finding two signs that warn players of areas that are monitored:

post-14257-0-24618800-1352681104.jpgpost-14257-0-70668700-1352681104.jpg

Finally, I found an actual camera modelled within the trailer, here:

post-14257-0-17720200-1352681103.jpg

Because the game will revolve around prepping and pulling heists, I figure that a working surveillance system for bigger risked jobs (like this Rodeo Drive inspired jewelry store) would make sense.

I think that these security systems will work similar to the "bandana" mechanic in Red Dead Redemption. Although the old west didn't have any cameras to monitor John Marston's criminal behavior, he concealed his face with a bandana. Witnesses to his crimes could confess to the local authorities and a wanted poster would appear in the towns describing John Marston. If John was creating crimes without his face concealed, the authorities and bounty hunters, had an easier time finding John. This system was remedied by paying a fine.

GTA V's system would have to be a little more sophisticated. For instance, if the player was robbing the same jewelry store without anything on to conceal the player's identity, the camera could i.d. players and help the police pursue anyone who matched the player's description. Could security cameras also trip the store's alarm? Could some be motion-detected?

Furthermore, as the game progresses, I'm sure there will be more creative ways to get around being recorded, such as destroying said cameras or removing their hard-drives they record on (or tapes?).

Places like Pleasure Pier would be difficult to perform crimes on because of the security systems, which would ensure that authorities would arrive onto the scene quicker. Maybe there's a bounty system Rockstar is carrying over from RDR and updating/modernizing for GTA V.

What else could security systems mean for GTA V?

• Like 9

Yeah...I just have that feeling security cameras will provide a single obstacle to robbing businesses. Others could be alarms, private security guards, guard dogs, etc.

Another way these security obstacles could work into gameplay is recruiting guys who have a specific skill set to overcome said obstacles. In the game informer magazine, when they were detailing the specifics of "the extraction" Trevor was all up in arms about rescuing a dude named Brad, right? Later on in the article, Brad, who you were extracting (for whatever reason) was being interrogated pretty aggressively by their version of the C.I.A. The article included the quoted dialogue from Brad (paraphrased here) that he "did not do surveillance, but installed cameras only".

My theory...and its not based off of any hard facts, just speculation...is Brad is one of Trevor's unique friends. Remember that part of the article? How each main protagonist had his unique round of friends? That got me thinking...maybe heists are something that players can prep and perform at anytime. The same article mentioned that coming across Money Transport Vans (used for banks, I think) can be overtaken for a quick score. So why can't hitting a 24/7 (convenience store) any time the player wants? We could do this in past games, like Vice City and San Andreas.

Expanding on this same idea, of pulling off heists anytime, would each protagonist's friends bring something to the thievery table too? Could Brad ride along with Trevor and for example, take care of a business' surveillance cameras? It would certainly reduce the risk, but Trevor would have to split the score with Brad. What if the story based heist missions are just a way to get the player started and we can take it from there?

Furthermore, Franklin would have a unique friend who is good with locks and Michael would have a unique friend who could crack safes quicker.

Remember the trailer. The pest control van had a total of 4 different characters robbing the place. Michael looked to be the ring leader, Franklin (I remember somone really zooming in as the back doors opened and spotted Franklin in the van) was behind the wheel, but Trevor didn't look to be apart of the heist. Even so, if he was, that still leaves one more dude. So would it be possible to hire as many guys as you can fit in whatever vehicle your using at the time and organize a robbery at any point in time?

Oh, one last thing, I'm going to use a quote from the game informer article this time:

"We want to move from having one character in a mission to having two to having three...This makes the missions feel distinct in that they feel high action but they will have a very different tone depending on who's on them, HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE ON THEM, and how much we're using switches to make it feel different."

I know Mr. Houser might be referring to how many MAIN PROTAGONISTS are on them, but still and all, there was four guys apart of that "Pest Control" gig...

That last post was a little off topic, but I wanted to provide another example of how security cameras are just one factor apart of several that could keep the player from successfully pulling off a heist and how it could tie in to "skill sets" of playable characters and their friends.

Back on subject...maybe I should rename this topic, like, "heist obstacles," but if security cameras could work against the player, could the player potentially use the camera systems to their advantage too? Would a specific "skill set" include tapping into a business that could potentially be robbed and surveying the area for weaknesses? Or at least to survey how many guards it has...etc.?

Maybe the more "homework" or prep work the player does before engaging into a heist, the more the player is rewarded? I'm not sure, but that would be an example of how surveillance systems could be anything besides a system to destroy or override.

I think it would be pretty cool to "hack" into the surveillance system and find that one guard who is asleep behind a desk somewhere, who could potentially trip a business' alarm, and would have been dealt with properly if the player would have "hacked" into the surveillance to begin with...but did not because they didn't want to bring on one more crewmember and split the score.

• Like 1

What a brilliant observation , I never noticed the cameras but I think they will make a difference in how crimes are commited (like if you wear black mask red shirt twice the cops will think you comitted both , or maybe you can have cameras at your home. I really think that trevor's paranoid friend could have some installed at his trailer.

this actually makes me think that there might be some sort of "big heist". something like oceans 11 at the end of the game or maybe that is the core and the little ones are just side missions so-to-speak. i think if these cameras turn out to be what we think they are, we would have missions that are focused on the hacking into the cameras, as well as entire missions where we have to steal blueprints of a building, learn to crack a safe, get a getaway vehicle, ect.

• Like 1

this actually makes me think that there might be some sort of "big heist". something like oceans 11 at the end of the game or maybe that is the core and the little ones are just side missions so-to-speak. i think if these cameras turn out to be what we think they are, we would have missions that are focused on the hacking into the cameras, as well as entire missions where we have to steal blueprints of a building, learn to crack a safe, get a getaway vehicle, ect.

That's what I'm talking about...

Although its a little off topic...I have a feeling that one out of the three (at least) will end up being the villain towards the very end. Think of every heist movie ever made...there is always one of the guys involved in a robbery that gets greedier than the rest and tries to either cut, or kill, others involved out of the score. So in theory, let's say Trevor ends up backstabbing Michael and Franklin, would we get to play as the antagonist too? Plotting against the other two, for instance? How cool would that be? Playing as the "enemy" making moves toward eliminating his former partners and, at the same time, playing as the other two who are being being doublecrossed.

Oh...one more thing...after this I'll stop, I promise, what if as Michael, we can go after the other two protagonist's unique friends/crew? Because its only a matter of time, while we're playing as one character, running around Los Santos making moves, robbing places, before the others feel like they're being cut out of the "heist game". I can just see how this could be a "new and bold direction," being on both sides of the narrative, playing as the protagonist and antagonist. Maybe certain playthoughs Michael is the villain...or even Franklin...etc...

I digress...

• Like 1

There is another security camera in second trailer on garage when Franklin "repos" white car!

Good spot.

Hard to say if it has any gameplay impact as they could just be a visual detail to resemble the real world.

Chinatown Wars had 100 destroyable security cameras so you never know.

as awesome as this would be if it were implemented, i dont think so.

gta 4 had the same signs, they had cameras all over too, but they just looked pretty thats all.

I'm hoping they will come into play. Home and bank robberies while avoiding camera. That would be cool. But then again you have barking dogs and home owners armed with shot guns screaming "Get outta my house!"

they'll be great for doing silent robberies, shoot out the cameras then rob the place etc etc.

but a headache if i want to do just a rampage and cops keep coming... will annoy me, a feeling i have.

When I first read the topic title I was skeptical. I mean signs and cameras in the game mean nothing, those are in all GTA games just to add to the enviroment. its like having parking meters or traffic lights.

after reading your whole post, however, I must say that I am not so skeptical now. I dont think the fact that there are cameras in the trailors really menas anything. what I do think is that having cameras and other obsticals would fit in with their heist based game play. there are all kinds of oppurtunitys here. good topic man.

I also think you could be right about hiring extra men. we actually saw that in VC. there were multible missions to build your team up for bank robbery. if one, or two of your guys got killed you got a bigger cut. so lets say you are palnning a bank robbery in GTA5, you could do it with just 3 guys and your cut would be $300,000 or you could hire a 4th guy (maybe he is an expect safe cracker and so you are in the bank for a shorter amount of time) to make it much easier but your cut will now only be $225,000. I think that is very logical.

it aslo brings up how the whole wanted mechanics could be changed. up to now all GTAs have had it so the cops are ether chasing you are not. it is an active wanted system and the only time it isnt is when the stars are flashing for a few seconds after hitting the pay and spray. so why not have an active and inactive wanted system. by that I mean the cops could be looking for you, but they are not activly chasing you down. then if they find you then its the old style GTA chase.

I have a theory that surveillance cameras and security systems will play a major role in GTA V.

\

You have a great point, GS. (Y)

Rockstar has a history of utilizing in-game security camera systems.

Just to name a few, Manhunt, Vice City, and San Andreas saw them used for various reasons.

The one that stands out for VC is when Tommy and Vance are approaching Diaz' mansion.

I don't see a reason why they would not pursue this idea further with GTA V.

Thanks for the thought-provoking topic.

GTA IV had cameras. they didnt work, were just for show. i am thinking the same thing for this. i think it is just your mind wondering and trying to make cool things. but time will tell i guess.

GTA IV had cameras. they didnt work, were just for show. i am thinking the same thing for this. i think it is just your mind wondering and trying to make cool things. but time will tell i guess.

I think this is one of those things that could be very possable, it makes a lot of sense, but it is not going to be anything like what we think.

Look at the new screenshots. There's a pic of Michael in the Bugstar suit w/ a whiteboard behind him.

There's a jewelery store & they point out where the cameras are. So, maybe they'll play a part like the people with iFruits can take pics of you doing crimes.

We'll see...

WILL WORK ON GETTING THE CORRESPONDING PICS INTO THIS ARTICLE ASAP!!! SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Well, it certainly has been a while since I have visited this thread. Gunsmith117, I really appreciate coming back to this post yesterday and giving me credit for my observations. With the wealth of new info about GTA V released yesterday, it seems that security cameras will be making its debut for the next installment of this great series.

Now, the reason for my return to this thread is to provide further photographical evidence of surveillance systems in GTA V, but also speculate how they will operate and how that will completely change the way we, as players, interact with the world.

First of all, I wanted to add a user submitted picture, that I'm sure most of us are aware of and familiar with. Just in case any of you out there are still skeptical about the role of surveillance equipment in GTA V, I'm going to rebuild my case starting with a user submitted picture from the second trailer.

EXHIBIT A:

post-14257-0-99429300-1367606235_thumb.j

Just to be clear, this picture was not taken by me or manipulated by me. I don't want anybody to feel like I'm trying to steal credit from anyone's hard, analytical work of the GTA trailers.

Moving on...the picture above shows us what appears to be Frankllin hopping into a very expensive looking car, driving away, and clearly pissing off somebody in the process (see pink circle). Well, we already know Franklin repossesses cars for a living. I think it's safe to assume that Franklin just found the target vehicle to repossess and I think it's even safer to assume that the guy in the yellow shirt has been neglecting his car notes.

Now, we know that heists will be a main focal point of the game's story campaign and a lot of story involved missions will have players taking all the precautionary steps to plan and execute the perfect heist. I don't rob banks for a living, but I can assure everybody that it takes a lot of patience, planning, and homework to successfully pull off a robbery...and get away. GTA V's heists will be no different. The success rate of a high stakes robbery will be more in the player's favor if all of the preliminary steps have been completed beforehand. These facts we already know.

What we don't know, or fully know, is what obstacles players will have to overcome to pull off a smooth robbery. Private security (like the ones in Michael's trailer and from the detailed run through of 'Blitz Play' in the various articles released yesterday) should be the most obvious obstacle. Of course higher end banks are going to employ ex-military personnel to guard their banks. Yes, some will be outfitted with the most sophisticated weaponry and I'm sure others will only patrol areas with a flashlight. Depending on the target players are planning to knock off, the difficulty will variate. Those obstacles will variate as well, which finally brings me to my first point:

Exhibit B:

post-14257-0-02880100-1367606253.jpg

Now, this is a closer look at the camera from the above picture. Yet, this doesn't look like a bank or a jewelery store. This looks like a private residence. Well, I'll tell you...

Security cameras, like everything else within GTA V will vary in degrees and difficulty. This type of camera, one that is meant solely to monitor that white car Franklin is taking off in, I'm going to redub "Level 1 Camera". These will be the most common of surveillance systems within the game. As players, we'll probably see a lot of these around homes, owned by Los Santos middle-to-upper crust. These "Level 1 Cameras" will be singular and independent, only meant to monitor a single target location or target object, like this car for example.

Notice the cables that run from the camera's mount, left, and across the length of the garage, finally dissapearing to some unshown area around the back of the house. "Level 1 Cameras" being the most common, will also be one of the more simpler camera systems the player will be able to overcome. I believe that those cables will lead to the camera's cotrol panel where players can either destroy the camera's function or will be able to manipulate the camera's angle. So, in theory, players can either destroy the control panel, risking nearby NPC's of the player's intentions or players can somehow manipulate the camera system via a hack in order to position the camera's direction away from the target its monitoring, or just plain turn the camera off. Either one of these options sounds plausible.

post-14257-0-38211400-1367606208.jpg

Finally, I want to draw attention to the security sign posted in the yellow-shirted guy's front lawn. I feel that these will be subtle indications given to the player so players will be able to determine what specific kind of security systems they will be dealing with. I'm not one hundred percent sure, but the name of the system appears to be "Suncat". Perhaps, the "Suncat" company provides the NPC's of the world with these "Level 1 Camera" systems. That way, before players decide to trespass onto some strange property, a patient and observant player will be given a visible warning that a "Suncat" surveillance system is monitoring the property and must be dealt with accordingly.

So, you maybe asking yourself: how will these cameras operate within the game world and how does it translate into gameplay? Well, I have a theory based upon a quote I read from Kotaku's article released yesterday. It reads:

"They make the police encounters sound better, too. In this new game, we can still try to escape the circular zone that flashes on the mini-map when cops come after our malcontent protagonist(s). But, this time, we'll be able to try to hide inside that alarm radius, if we'd like. The cops will use a line-of-sight system, so they won't just magically know where you are. If they have a helicopter in the sky, they'll be able to see plenty. And you'll see them use hand signals to communicate what they're doing."

Those of us who have played any of the Metal Gear series are very familiar with the 'cone of vision' concept Konami equips its patrolling a.i. with. Those of us who are unfamiliar with it, refer to the picture below:

post-14257-0-15317100-1367606314.jpg

I realize it's a small pic, but if you look at the very top right of the screen, players are given a mini-map on their HUD. The small yellow dot is the player's location and the white dot is the approaching enemy's. You can kind of make out the semi-translucent, triangular shape extending out of the enemy's location on the mini-map. That is what is called a cone of vision. If the player breaches the 'cone of vision', the enemy becomes alerted to your whereabouts, and of course, will try to kill you. The closest the player is to the enemy, the risk of becoming spotted increases. Metal Gear Solid's gameplay revolves around this system. It's a stealth based game and it become very difficult (if not impossible) to complete if the player chooses to ignore the stealthy approach.

How will that translate into GTA V? Specifically regarding the camera systems?

Well, referring back to that quote, it seems like the LSPD (and probably any enemy characters in GTA V) will have a similar 'cone of vision'. I love this concept, because it adds more realism to the game's wanted system for one, but two, yes it was very frustrating that the police in past games always knew where I was, even if I killed the first wave of police officers, and their were no witnesses when I relocated.

So, GTA V is changing their enemy A.I. in that respect. Enemies will have to have first detected players before pursuing them. This singular change in GTA V's enemy A.I. is revolutionary to the series. So, just a few questions before I move on:

-Does anybody feel that a 'hide option' will be something we will see debut in the series? For instance, if we're running down an alley way, still within the circular wanted zone, but are out of the police's line of sight, could we potentially hop into a dumpster and wait out the wanted level? Or shimmy up a ladder and hide on a rooftop, if no police choppers are present? Finally, if we are able to hide from the police, depending on the wanted level, I'm curious if police canines will be able to sniff us out and blow up our hiding spot....could make for some very intense and suspensful police pursuits.

Since GTA V's enemy A.I. have adopted this 'cone of vision' concept, then I'm putting all my stock into surveillance cameras possessing the exact same system. Depending on what kind of camera (i.e. Level 1 or Level 5) the 'cone of vision' will variate, some being somewhat simple to avoid, others being impossible.

So, what if players are detected? What happens then?

I feel that player detection will always result in a negative consequence, but those consequences, again depending on the camera and alarm system, will variate in different degrees as well. The picture above shows a guy running after Franklin as he drives off with a car. Either the yellow-shirted man was standing right in the drive way when Franklin jumped in, or that "level 1" camera alerted him of Franklin's intentions. If we assume the latter, then I feel that some cameras, upon being detected, will trigger an NPC confrontation. The "level 1 cameras", when detected, can either send an armed security guard or some other hostile NPC to the player's location and depending on how the player reacts to his/her detection, the police will be or will not be notified.

What about the more sophisticated systems of cameras? How will they operate? How can players work to overcome them?

Like the picture below, higher risk locations will be monitored by a series of cameras, unlike the singular one we discussed previously. These cameras will be controlled from a centralized hub, very similar to real systems. I'm still on the fence of whether or not the player will be able to completely deactivate these systems, which I'll call "Level 5 cameras" for discussion purposes. "Level 5 cameras" will be systems within larger businesses, government buildings, etc. These are going to be the systems that, upon detection, will immedietly trigger an alarm that alerts the cops of the player's whereabouts and crimes. So, for example, that high end bank located in downtown Los Santos? That bank will be protected by these "Level 5 cameras" and alarm systems.

Before starting any kind of larger risk job, like holding up the jewelery store we're all familar with from the first and second trailers, players will have to do their own personal homework in order to be fully prepared for the heist. Some places like convenient stores and liquor stores, I assume, will involve little amounts of homework compared to robbing the aforementioned bank or jewelry store. So, how will players know if they are completely prepared to hold up a robbery at a place like the jewelery store we've seen in the video? I'll show you...

post-14257-0-76272500-1367606264_thumb.j

Allow me to present the bulletin board. Notice all of those in-game pictures that parked with pink sticky notes, one reads "alarm" and another reads "vent" and so on.

"You can take pictures with your iFruit phone that you can then upload to Rockstar's Social Club. The in-game internet can be accessed via the phone too now."

That quote was taken from the article released yesterday from destructoid.com. Where I'm going with this is: the player, before pulling off major heists, does his/her own research on the target location themselves. The player will be responsible for compiling their own "bulletin board" so to speak. The "bulletin board" concept or feature is going to be like the work bench of certain higher end jobs. The "bulletin board" will at first be completely empty, save for the title of the job or the target, and it will be up to the player to fill in the spaces. I cannot tell how flexible this system will be, for example, will one of the first bulletins be filled in via a direct story mission? For instance, before robbing the above jewelry store, Trevor has been tasked with visiting the jewelry store in the form of a story driven mission. Trevor needs to go to the location and cause a ruckus, like picking a random fight, to determine how long it takes for the police to arrive. Completing this mission will fill in one part of the bulletin board and the player will now know how long they have until police arrive, if the police are notified.

Or will the bulletin board system be completely up to the player? In other words, the bulletin board is not apart of story missions and is an option feature all together? Yet, players can still choose to use it by scouting out target locations.

What better way to do that, then actually visiting the bank player's plan on robbing and secretly snapping pictures of the security system's flaws?

In theory, before robbing that Los Santos bank, players will have to scout the location first. Players will be able to, for example, note what times the Los Santos downtown bank gets visited by it's money trucks, what time armed guards go to lunch or change shifts, etc. That way players can narrow down ideal times to perform their robberies. Consider this quote:

"Although Rockstar didn't want to go into too much detail, there were a total of nine apps on your cellphone display: camera, internet, contacts, social media, a calendar, and an option to go back and replay individual missions. That leaves three others it wasn't prepared to talk about. Well, actually, in truth it wasn't prepared to talk much about the other six either, but while camera, internet, contacts and social media all seem relatively self-explanatory, as does the replay mission option, why would you need a calendar? Our take: if you're planning super-dangerous, super-detailed heists, you're going to need to do prep work. We reckon the calendar will be used as part of the planning process, for reminders about meetings, addresses and times."

Regarding this feature, the player's iFruit phone will be able to organize and manage all of the details that players will collect to pull off perfect heists.

Now, I have discussed some of the varying factors players will need to consider before performing heists, specifically surveillance cameras. Now, I want to talk about the player's "criminal identity". Like Red Dead Redemption, players had to conceal their faces before committing crimes. The way that system worked, is if John Marston had a bandana around his face, witnesses to your crimes and furthermore, the authorities could not identify the player. On the flipside, if John Marston did commit a crime, in front of a witness, without concealing his face, Marston's identity and description would wind up on a wanted poster and John Marston's noteriety would be known to all authorities. The more crimes player's would commit the more notorious John Marston would become which increased the chances of NPC's and authorities recognizing him. Not to mention, as long as players were "wanted", bounty hunters would stalk Marston's trail and seek to collect the bounty.

In order to wash John's hands clean of his crimes, players would have to pay a fine. The badder the crimes the bigger the fine. Sounds real inconveniencing doesn't it? All John had to do was put on that bandana.

Take a look at the picture below:

817-grey.gif

post-14257-0-34650800-1367606279_thumb.j

See that? That's Trevor kicking some ass, but to his left is an NPC filming the whole fight. Here it is again:

post-14257-0-83509100-1367606289.jpg

Considering that the majority of NPC's will have the capability of whipping out their iFruit and catching us players causing crimes (don't forget security cameras too), it's safe to assume that the feature that I detailed above from Red Dead Redemption will carry over into GTA V.

post-14257-0-08072000-1367606304_thumb.j

Identity concealment, especially when the player plans to commit crimes, will be a HUGE feature in GTA V. In past games, players never thought twice about walking down the street, say as Niko Bellic, and opening fire in the middle of broad daylight. The cops are going to respond and it's up to the player whether or not they can shake the authorities and clear their wanted system, or go down guns a blazing. GTA V will change the way players think about committing crimes.

Regarding everything I've mentioned so far, all of the surveillance cameras, the different alarms, the NPC's ability to film player's nasty decisions, all of that has lead to this point. GTA V will include a sophisticated noteriety system unlike anything players have ever seen in a game of this kind. Since GTA V takes place during present times, we all know how fast one can aquire information. All it takes is a capable phone, a decent wifi connection, and an infinite ocean of knowledge is at one's fingertips. Modern tech has also changed the way we communicate with one another. Not being able to get in touch with somebody is quickly becoming an extinct concept. We can reach people and communicate with them on several different portals, with several different devices. If you don't answer your phone, I can e-mail you, text you, Facebook you, etc. etc.

So imagine you walk outside, you happen to have your camera app on, and suddenly your in the middle of a fire fight. Three guys, WITHOUT MASKS, are firing high-powered weapons, spraying the encroaching police officers. There is a helicopter overhead, surveying the entire scene from up in the sky. Slowly but surely, the criminals pick off each police officer. One of the criminals takes out a rocket launcher and brings down the chopper overhead.

You are literally the only witness left and you have your camera pointed at all three criminals, recording the entire scene. Your clip ends up on the afternoon news, the evening news, national news, international news, in which three men are seen killing a bunch of cops, who were just trying to apprehend the criminals. However, their identies now, are all over television, the internet, and youtube. Within one day, somebody recognizes them and they are arrested.

If they would have been wearing masks, however, they would have probably still gotten caught, but it would have taken a lot longer.

In GTA V...players will have to worry about, at least, three different aspects when committing crimes with witnesses around. They have to worry about their identies, if there is a getaway car involved then its license plates, and the make and model of the car.

This is why in all of the pictures we have been shown, Michael, Trevor, and Franklin are wearing masks. It's not just contextually fitting, people think, robbers = masks. Nope. It's because the wanted system for GTA V will be so sophisticated that police officers will respond to these three details of players: FACE, PLATES, MAKE/MODEL.

TO BE CONTINUED....

• Like 5