KingOfLosSantos

Graphics, Don't expect too much

A bit off topic, and not sure if it's been bought up already, but how does everybody think they'll create a map edge barrier? In RDR it was mountains, in GTA it was an invisible barrier in the water. I put this here as it is kinda related to graphics.

GTA SA had infinite water (and air space) stretch out in every direction. GTA V will probably have the same.

I hope the water is only to the west and other directions have infinite dirt space.

True, but the infinite water/land thing would be fine in a plane (you'd get bored and turn around), but if I remember rightly, if you were too far out and attempted to swim back, didnt you eventually drown?

A bit off topic, and not sure if it's been bought up already, but how does everybody think they'll create a map edge barrier? In RDR it was mountains, in GTA it was an invisible barrier in the water. I put this here as it is kinda related to graphics.

GTA SA had infinite water (and air space) stretch out in every direction. GTA V will probably have the same.

I hope the water is only to the west and other directions have infinite dirt space.

True, but the infinite water/land thing would be fine in a plane (you'd get bored and turn around), but if I remember rightly, if you were too far out and attempted to swim back, didnt you eventually drown?

no. you can drown yourself purposely if you dont want to swim back lol

That caused this glitch

I don't expect them to ever have something like that again.

That caused this glitch

I don't expect them to ever have something like that again.

thats a cool ass glitch

I like they way the trailer and screens look, more so than i did when gta 4's first trailer was released, no crappy distance blur...

That said, your right, if they dont fix the trees, im not buying it.

That said, your right, if they dont fix the trees, im not buying it.

If they don't put more detail into the fingernails, I'm not buying it. :luis:

• Like 1

Graphics, IMO are a very important gameplay element. Rockstars blur effect was just about the worst shit I've seen on any game, so I hope the fix that. It gave me a head ache playing the game for more than a half hour at a time because of it. Was way too distracting... Low res graphics on the bumper won't phase me too much though

While I like the idea of both infinite water and infinite desert, I fear that where both collide, we get some rather boring and unrealistic straight coastline unless it is procedurally generated landscape with actual features like elevation, which is possible, but I doubt it.

so I guess there's nothing new under the sun when it comes to the general map properities, an island in an infinite ocean.

I expect the graphics to be better than in IV, maybe more along the lines of RDR, maybe even a bit better than that, but not too much of a change as we're still talking RAGE here...

I could never get the territory glitch to work! pissed me off so much... but really we all know the graphics will be superb. Lets just go back and look at the trailers for instance (waits for you to go watch both trailers in 720p on youtube) ...ok! now that you have done that im pretty sure you are impressed, but yes we all agree something will need to be fixed, and one of those for me is the hazy look in the sky at night that makes the buildings look like shit.... that really got on my nevers in IV ... heres a pic

and no, i don't mean haze as in fog or smog.

8.jpg

Edited by -GODFATHER-

I assume the "haze" element will return (I think we've even seen it in some screenshots) due to the actual smog problem in the L.A. metropolitan area. The difference, though, will be that GTA IV's Liberty City was gray, drab, and sullen. I always thought this was aesthetically inaccurate (I live in NYC and it's not like that). In V, I'm positive we'll have lots of sunshine, which to my mind has the promise of creating some really cool lighting effects when mixed with that haze. I hope, too, that once you're out of the city and in the countryside that will go away and you'll have more of the crispness that RDR had.

They tried to mask the low-res versions of distant objects with that filter. They've definitely made progress looking at the screens for V and found better ways to "cheat" in the graphics department to reduce lag.

Kind of related: I liked the distant car lights they had moving around at night in IV. Although they could have gone a little further and separated headlights from tail lights depending if they were moving towards you or away. Maybe that will be another improvement in V.

• Like 2

I assume the "haze" element will return (I think we've even seen it in some screenshots) due to the actual smog problem in the L.A. metropolitan area. The difference, though, will be that GTA IV's Liberty City was gray, drab, and sullen. I always thought this was aesthetically inaccurate (I live in NYC and it's not like that). In V, I'm positive we'll have lots of sunshine, which to my mind has the promise of creating some really cool lighting effects when mixed with that haze. I hope, too, that once you're out of the city and in the countryside that will go away and you'll have more of the crispness that RDR had.

I think Liberty City being gray and dark like that was to add to the depressing atmosphere of the game.

i just hope that the console graphics aren't really grainy and fuzzy this time around. it felt as if there was a thin layer of dust covering my screen when i played gta 4

crapgraphics.png

not my picture, but it sums it up basically

i just hope that the console graphics aren't really grainy and fuzzy this time around. it felt as if there was a thin layer of dust covering my screen when i played gta 4

crapgraphics.png

this is exactly what i'm talking about! it's like a haze is over everything.

• Like 2

if the gameplay looks anything like the trailer, then hopefully we won't have that problem.

• Like 1

crapgraphics.png

They used a real time daylight system with a grainy edged shadow density, which wasn't adjustable on consoles because of the limitations at the time. In the PC version, on full density, the shadows are much finer and less grainy. The background 'fuzzy filter' effect, was their way to hide the LOD (level of detail) model pops, which instead blended them in a weird grainy way. Imo looked worse than a lod pop, but meh, they were experimenting with new ideas.

AB5D36A.jpg

What the modding community have taught us though, is that the 'fuzzy filter' is only a filter, and can easily be changed or removed on PC versions. I'm pretty sure R* have looked as some of the wonderful graphic mods out there and took them on-board with GTA V, it sure looks a hell of a lot better so far anyway.

crapgraphics.png

They used a real time daylight system with a grainy edged shadow density, which wasn't adjustable on consoles because of the limitations at the time. In the PC version, on full density, the shadows are much finer and less grainy. The background 'fuzzy filter' effect, was their way to hide the LOD (level of detail) model pops, which instead blended them in a weird grainy way. Imo looked worse than a lod pop, but meh, they were experimenting with new ideas.

AB5D36A.jpg

What the modding community have taught us though, is that the 'fuzzy filter' is only a filter, and can easily be changed or removed on PC versions. I'm pretty sure R* have looked as some of the wonderful graphic mods out there and took them on-board with GTA V, it sure looks a hell of a lot better so far anyway.

That looks fantastic. Hope GTA V can beat that on PC's

i really don't like that atall. i've never played it on pc. i might in the next month or two if i buy a gaming pc for sim city. anyway, i don't like how it looks like a slightly less gran turismo lol

AB5D36A.jpg

holy shit that is fucking beautiful. if Gta 5 looks anything like that i will be one happy camper.

crapgraphics.png

You realize this is New York City we're talking about it's not sunshine and shit, it's dreary. They wanted the environment to reflect the city and the storyline.

crapgraphics.png

You realize this is New York City we're talking about it's not sunshine and shit, it's dreary. They wanted the environment to reflect the city and the storyline.

But in New York the cars don't look like they are melting and the buildings don't look like their made out of sand... i understand NYC has a gloomy/smog like feel to it, but i'm not talking about that.