Sign in to follow this  
Qdeathstar

Nuclear Fail.

Its such a small country and most of its population is on the coast... it probably affected 50% or more of its population, just guessing. It doens't seem like many people live in that part of the country though (1500 evacuated in a 6 mile radius from the site)

We supposedly shouldn't have another Chernobyl with this. Apparently the reactor doesn't contain any combustible graphite like Chernobyl did and should dump everything underground in case of a meltdown. 'Course you read a lot of things on the internet and most of them are bullshit, so we'll see.

Yeah, i read that on MSNBC too, but thats comming from the Japanese Atomic Energy people, and yesterday they said that the core was cooling and that there weren't any leaks.

Be not so sure about that. The wind can turn and send the shit on Tokyo.

The word "tsunami" is Japanese. They know this natural force more than anyone, so I just don't understand why they build nuclear plants so near the shore. It's the tsunami that broke the plants, not the quake.

So it turns out this was a load of shit. So many academics came out and said no radiation would leak, and now look. Turns out you can't beat mother nature with a bit of concrete.

We supposedly shouldn't have another Chernobyl with this. Apparently the reactor doesn't contain any combustible graphite like Chernobyl did and should dump everything underground in case of a meltdown. 'Course you read a lot of things on the internet and most of them are bullshit, so we'll see.

So it turns out this was a load of shit. So many academics came out and said no radiation would leak, and now look. Turns out you can't beat mother nature with a bit of concrete.

It can't be as bad as Chernobyl because there are so little uranium. A professor at an university in Sweden explained that each of the reactors can leak only 1% of what Chernobyl did. But it can still be a big disaster.

I can't say more now due to the language barrier and because it's been two hours since I heard it.

Shit keeps getting worse and worse for Japan. I'd like to see them avoid a meltdown but, realistically, I can't see that happening, given everything that's happened so far. It's going to be years before the country even begins to look like it used to.

Also, kind of off-topic but on-topic at the same time.

The March 11, magnitude 9.0 earthquake in Japan may have shortened the length of each Earth day and shifted its axis. But don't worry—you won't notice the difference.

Using a United States Geological Survey estimate for how the fault responsible for the earthquake slipped, research scientist Richard Gross of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., applied a complex model to perform a preliminary theoretical calculation of how the Japan earthquake—the fifth largest since 1900—affected Earth's rotation. His calculations indicate that by changing the distribution of Earth's mass, the Japanese earthquake should have caused Earth to rotate a bit faster, shortening the length of the day by about 1.8 microseconds (a microsecond is one millionth of a second).

The calculations also show the Japan quake should have shifted the position of Earth's figure axis (the axis about which Earth's mass is balanced) by about 17 centimeters (6.5 inches), towards 133 degrees east longitude. Earth's figure axis should not be confused with its north-south axis; they are offset by about 10 meters (about 33 feet). This shift in Earth's figure axis will cause Earth to wobble a bit differently as it rotates, but it will not cause a shift of Earth's axis in space—only external forces such as the gravitational attraction of the sun, moon and planets can do that.

Source

Crazy shit.

Shit keeps getting worse and worse for Japan. I'd like to see them avoid a meltdown but, realistically, I can't see that happening, given everything that's happened so far. It's going to be years before the country even begins to look like it used to.

Also, kind of off-topic but on-topic at the same time.

The March 11, magnitude 9.0 earthquake in Japan may have shortened the length of each Earth day and shifted its axis. But don't worry—you won't notice the difference.

Using a United States Geological Survey estimate for how the fault responsible for the earthquake slipped, research scientist Richard Gross of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., applied a complex model to perform a preliminary theoretical calculation of how the Japan earthquake—the fifth largest since 1900—affected Earth's rotation. His calculations indicate that by changing the distribution of Earth's mass, the Japanese earthquake should have caused Earth to rotate a bit faster, shortening the length of the day by about 1.8 microseconds (a microsecond is one millionth of a second).

The calculations also show the Japan quake should have shifted the position of Earth's figure axis (the axis about which Earth's mass is balanced) by about 17 centimeters (6.5 inches), towards 133 degrees east longitude. Earth's figure axis should not be confused with its north-south axis; they are offset by about 10 meters (about 33 feet). This shift in Earth's figure axis will cause Earth to wobble a bit differently as it rotates, but it will not cause a shift of Earth's axis in space—only external forces such as the gravitational attraction of the sun, moon and planets can do that.

Source

Crazy shit.

Similar sort of thing happened in 2004, and last year after the Chilean earthquake. Pretty amazing stuff, but the changes are still insignificant. Days naturally get shorter anyway.

Oh, I know that but just goes to show that even though we're not directly affected by the earthquake and tsunami, it does affect our day-to-day life albeit on a miniscule basis. That, and I love reading articles like that.

Damn earthquakes robbing me of my precious milliseconds :(

I'm gonna use this as an excuse for why my term paper isn't on time. :D

Also, i think the Haiti one slowed the earths spin, and this one sped it up, so on the whole, even.

A couple days ago when the workers was pulled back from the the most unstable plant, I thought to myself that they had to do sacrifices. I know it's easy to sit here and think that, but that's what needs to be done if they want to prevent a bigger disaster. But no one said that out loud, not the Japanese, and not anyone that spoke on Western tv stations. A day later some anonymous person in the American authorities said what I had been thinking.

Why are the Japanese and almost all Western experst on tv so slow to speak out the unpleasant truth? I guess it's just because of that; it's unpleasant. Something is not right when educated people in high positions are so slow to realize the brutal facts that I realize it before they do. Suicide workers are what can save the many.

"Fukushima 50" fighting to prevent meltdown and full exposure to the area. Apparently they do not fear death, as this is their job. Sounds pretty heroic considering it's a possible suicide mission.

"Fukushima 50" fighting to prevent meltdown and full exposure to the area. Apparently they do not fear death, as this is their job. Sounds pretty heroic considering it's a possible suicide mission.

1851368-2-kamikaze-detail.jpg

112796_japanese-kamikaze.jpg

kamikaze.jpg

Hmm, wonder if their grandfathers were "pilots"?

When talking to my grandfather about the earthquake in Japan, he said it was long overdue. Still hates 'em.

Overall Japan hasn't had much luck with anything nuclear over the past century.

I can't be the only one who got that.

That settles it, the Japanese work too fucking hard.