Riley Bradeen

Shooting and Getting Shot in GTA 5

GTA is not a FPS game, so it's unrealistic to hope that shooting mechanics will be set up the same way as a war simulator title. GTA always has a balance between the comical and the realistic, whether you're looking at gunplay and character damage, to the incremental steps that a car goes from slight to extreme damage.

Ragdolling is so called because your body loses control of arms and legs when you go flying through the air because of the force of the impact. Dropping down dead or injured doesn't count as ragdolling.

"Ragdolling is so called because your body loses control of arms and legs when you go flying through the air because of the force of the impact" = BULLET

Go back to physics class tard^

http://www.definition-of.net/ragdoll-ing

For real though, this is ragdolling definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragdoll_physics

Oh, young troll, how much you have to learn. I studied physics at university.

I was referring to a vehicle collision for an example of ragdolling, where the vehicle transfers forward momentum to a body and sends it flying through the air with such force that arms and legs lose all control....as opposed to a bullet, which is designed to penetrate through the body; yes, there would be some transfer of energy, but it would dissipate far more than compared to a vehicle hit.

Rather than logjam yet another topic with semantics, why don't you post a video showing an example of what you mean by 'ragdolling' as a result of a bullet impact, and we can argue over that instead.

Your'e supposed to take physics class in high school? Are you special? Cause your'e sounding like it :P

The irony, it burns!

Plus, I believe you can take a physics major or some shit like that in University to become an expert on the topic, highschool physics is nothing ( I think, I mean I'm at that stage)

im in highschool and i can even tell you that you're the special one

Your supposed to take physics class in high school? Are you special? Cause your sounding like it :P

There's always a balance between gameplay(-ability) and realism. You have to leave many realistic aspects away in games to keep it playable.

Well, Ragdoll this Ragdoll that, GTAV should make shooting people relatively easy... if want a war simulator COD does a good job at that (I guess)... I'd much rather GTA V be about making car chases more realistic. EG harder to get away from the cops. EG driving fast in a straight line doesn't get the cops off your tail.

Cop chases in GTA-SanAndreas were a lot more fun than in GTAIV

I think that the physics of rag-dolling the playable character, (you) in the game should be improved, as one of you were saying earlier, that in GTA 4 when you got shot by cops it looked like you were getting hit by ball-bearings instead of bullets. Head shot on you by cop= INSTANT DEATH/ Head shot from you to cop= INSTANT DEATH/Stomach shot from cop to you= HALF DEAD/and vise-versa/Leg shot on you by cop= hard limp/vise versa/ arm shot on you by cop= drop weapon in that hand and render arm unusable until healed. Also, if you get shot in the chest you die if you don't heal yourself quickly. Max Payne 3 had great rag-doll physics when you died after being shot, you would fall down in such a realistic way its not even funny... I hope they bring that to GTA 5

Max Payne 3 had great rag-doll physics when you died after being shot, you would fall down in such a realistic way its not even funny... I hope they bring that to GTA 5

I think it's pretty safe to say you'll be seeing that in gta 5 as R* usually builds off of past games. I couldn't imagine them taking a step backwards.

When I say ragdolled when shot, I don't by any means fall down when shot with a 9mm round... I mean if you get shot with a shotgun, fairly close range, you might stumble or fall over, or even die. It may not kill you instantly, but you might hurt you really bad... Who wants to play a game where you can get shot by a 12 guage shotgun 3-4-5 times and only lose 3 quarters of your life? Also, in real life, you totally get ragdolled when your shot. As any sniper in the Army or Marines, he will tell you that if you get shot with a sniper at 400 yards, the intestines of the unlucky fellow being shot at will make it a good 12 feet before they hit the ground 12 feet away from the dudes body... Tell me, do you think that man would still be standing there, unmoved, or would his body be on the ground?

*How would realism be fun when it comes to the shooting mechanics. In real life one bullet in the right place would be enough to kill you and to die from. Is this what you want? One bullet and Game Over. Restart the game from the beginning.

I do understand what your'e saying though, but it would only work if it minimally affected your aim ( getting shot ), or if an enemy was close range with a shotgun ( it could cause you to stumble ). Because otherwise you would not be able to react to gunfire from multiple enemies unless you were in cover. And there would be no way to recover from a ragdoll animation under sustaining fire.

Oh and with the sniper example you used. That target would be on the ground because he is probably dead, people don't get ragdolled in real life.

Movies usually dramatically portray gunshots to make them appear more exciting ( with people flying backwards ). But if you know physics and Newton's law, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. So for that force to happen to the target it would probably have the same effect on the sniper ( which it wouldn't ).

You could also be talking about a bullet dance that a target would get if under sustained fire from say an automatic weapon. The target might not be able to react effectively ( if at all ) from this, but it is nothing like a ragdoll animation.

Your supposed to take physics class in high school? Are you special? Cause your sounding like it :P

Just a word of advice from somebody else who is fairly new here: It's probably not a good idea to mouth off in the threads and insult the intelligence of several veteran members on this site. That being said continue if you wish, your proud americanry is hilarious to witness.

Your'e supposed to take physics class in high school? Are you special? Cause your'e sounding like it :P

The irony, it burns!

Plus, I believe you can take a physics major or some shit like that in University to become an expert on the topic, highschool physics is nothing ( I think, I mean I'm at that stage)

This is all that you need to say, Ninth Pawn, et al

• Like 1

All of you need to just shut up, I know what I'm talking about when it comes to physics, watch this video, ALL of it, I repeat, ALL of it is ragdolling... It is a RAGDOLLING engine, so you cannot say it is anything but, so stop arguing.... Here you go:

Fail.

Euphoria is a game animation engine created by NaturalMotion based on Dynamic Motion Synthesis, NaturalMotion's proprietary technology for animating 3D characters on-the-fly "based on a full simulation of the 3D character, including body, muscles and motor nervous system".[2] Instead of using predefined animations, the characters' actions and reactions are synthesized in real-time; they are different every time, even when replaying the same scene. While it is common for current video games to use limp "ragdolls" for animations generated on the fly, Euphoria employs a more complex method to animate the entirety of physically bound objects within the game environment.[3] The engine was to be used in an Indiana Jones game that has since been cancelled. According to its web site, Euphoria runs on the Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360[1] platforms and is compatible with all commercial physics engines.
  • Like 1

Fail.

Euphoria is a game animation engine created by NaturalMotion based on Dynamic Motion Synthesis, NaturalMotion's proprietary technology for animating 3D characters on-the-fly "based on a full simulation of the 3D character, including body, muscles and motor nervous system".[2] Instead of using predefined animations, the characters' actions and reactions are synthesized in real-time; they are different every time, even when replaying the same scene. While it is common for current video games to use limp "ragdolls" for animations generated on the fly, Euphoria employs a more complex method to animate the entirety of physically bound objects within the game environment.[3] The engine was to be used in an Indiana Jones game that has since been cancelled. According to its web site, Euphoria runs on the Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360[1] platforms and is compatible with all commercial physics engines.

You FAIL, because I don't see any point, so, EPIC Fail...

*Sigh* I'm sorry, I assumed bold, underlined text would be easy to pick out for you. Apparently I overestimated your intelligence.

Here we go, for added clarity you said:

It is a RAGDOLLING engine, so you cannot say it is anything but, so stop arguing....

My quote said:

While it is common for current video games to use limp "ragdolls" for animations generated on the fly, Euphoria employs a more complex method to animate the entirety of physically bound objects within the game environment.

It is NOT a "ragdolling engine," it is a physics engine...

All of you need to just shut up, I know what I'm talking about when it comes to physics, watch this video, ALL of it, I repeat, ALL of it is ragdolling... It is a RAGDOLLING engine, so you cannot say it is anything but, so stop arguing.... Here you go:

Good one, you just proved yourself wrong with that video you posted :D

And then you either didn't have the humility to admit that you were wrong, or you are just a fool :clap:

yea but it would get annoying

not if u kno how to use cover and run away from bullets

Okay. I'll stand 20m away from you, and start shooting you with a full-auto rifle. Let me see you outrun the bullets

Marcus, people can run away from bullets so i don't know what your on about...always arguing with poeple...

Its just that they usually get shot in the back

• Like 1