kristo

Build high end gaming pc now or after

Currently have a Quad 9550, 6GB RAM, 1GB gfx, and total s*** asrock motherboard. sh** PSU. standard cooler on all, midi gaming case, windows XP

been saving about £1500 [$2250] to build a mid-high spec gaming pc, now i'm thinking shall i wait for GTA5 to be released [or recommended specs] before i buy and build? or should i just go ahead.

If i do it right now the spec will be as follows:

i5 4.5ghz [over clocked], H100 cooler, Gigabyte Z77 motherboard, 16GB corsair vengeance, 850W corsair PSU, EVGA GTX 680 2GB, Antec 1200 case, 250GB SSD [or around that size], windows 7

any thoughts?

Sweet build, but personally I'd wait if your getting it just for GTA V until the release is closer. There was the Doom 3 fiasco where a card was marketed as being perfect to run it (the decal on the fan was of Doom etc). The game ended up getting delayed, and by the time it was released the card sucked at running it.

Just a question. You have a powerful graphics card, yet a mainstream processor. Why not go for i7 which would most likely last longer in the future than an i5. Also with games being around 15-20GB in some cases, why not have a big HDD along with your SSD. Put your OS and a few games that are the most demanding on the SSD and the rest on the normal HDD?

Games, on the whole, are not yet optimised for multiple threads, and most games don't even utilise all four of the i5's cores. An i7 might be nice for those who can afford it, or do a lot of rendering tasks, but it is a bit overkill for gaming.

Just a question. You have a powerful graphics card, yet a mainstream processor. Why not go for i7 which would most likely last longer in the future than an i5. Also with games being around 15-20GB in some cases, why not have a big HDD along with your SSD. Put your OS and a few games that are the most demanding on the SSD and the rest on the normal HDD?

i5 2500k kills off the i7 for gaming basically. i7's main benefit is hyperthreading and games don't use it yet. If this guy is rendering HD video 40 hours a week he's kosher with an i7, but atm games rarely take advantage of ht.

i5 2500k kills off the i7 for gaming basically. i7's main benefit is hyperthreading and games don't use it yet. If this guy is rendering HD video 40 hours a week he's kosher with an i7, but atm games rarely take advantage of ht.

Yeah, I know at the moment games don't take advantage of it, but for the future it might be a good investment. That way if he needs to improve his computer in the future maybe he could just pop more RAM in, and a new Graphics Card instead of splashing out on a whole new PC.

I don't think you will need an Ultimate Computer ( even with High Settings ) to run GTA V. Personally i'll be buying GTA V for the PS3 because I prefer the Controller/ Couch and 50 Inch LCD TV and Home Entertainment setup. But if your planning on using the same PC for Rome 2 which comes out later in 2013. I would wait a little longer to see the recommended specs.

Me I just upgraded my PC. My Specs:

- Ivy Bridge Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz Overclocked to 4.4GHz CPU.

- Corsair H80 Water Cooling Unit

- nVidia GTX 690 Dual Graphics Card 4GB PCI-E 3.0 with 1200 W PSU

- Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional PCIE Sound Card

- 240 Gig OCZ Agility 3 SATA lll SSD with 2nd 1 Terrabyte Seagate SATA 3 HDD

- 16 Gigabytes of RAM - 1600Mhz DDR3 G.Skill/Elixir

- And a Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Operating System

like others said, i dont need the i7, using the money for the graphics card. spoke to the component retailer and he advised for gaming to stick to i5. again i7 for rendering and CAD/design work. even then, i5 can still keep up with rendering to some limits. but the home pc is going to be for gaming only. [with webbing etc]

Games, on the whole, are not yet optimised for multiple threads, and most games don't even utilise all four of the i5's cores. An i7 might be nice for those who can afford it, or do a lot of rendering tasks, but it is a bit overkill for gaming.

why not go for overkill?

Well sure, like I said it's alright for those who can afford it. But if you're at all conscious about budget, and you're not into video editing there is absolutely no benefit over an i5. Why not save a bit of money?