Indy

Mobile Devices

So I finally got my 6 Plus today. Here's a quick run down of my thoughts.

When I first saw the box, I could already tell the size difference, but when I actually opened it it felt like an entire new thing to me. Goodbye small phones, I'll never be going back.

The 6 Plus feels like a very luxury phone, despite the fact it's made out of metal compared to glass, it isn't heavy at all. It feels better in the hands than my 5s, 4s, or 3Gs. The "edges" are also really tapered down so they curve in line with the phone flawlessly.

Resolution of the screen is incredible.

Typing is a lot easier with a larger keyboard, I make less typos than I did with the smaller phones.

The camera looks great, I'll be sure to share some photos as time comes.

All in all, this is my favorite iPhone to date, and finally switching to 64GB to 32GB feels nice. Seeing 58GB free after downloading apps and whatever else is definitely welcoming.

• Like 1

I've had the iPhone 4 and 5, but I feel that upgrading iPhone just doesn't feel like an upgrade. Don't get me wrong, they're great phones and very safe options. You know you're always going to get an excellent product. This time around I bought the Sony experia Z3 and I have no regrets. It's an amazing phone. I can use it underwater! I can download torrents on the bus, i can play my PS4 in the shower... Amazing camera too. I'm glad I've switched to android, i can't see myself going back to iPhone.

The only reason I don't have an iPhone is because I can't personally justify buying something that is more expensive and get no pros out of it. Both operating systems have matured, except one is always bundled in a more expensive way, and like Indy pointed out, I like being able to install torrent downloading apps, have applications that simplify torrent searches and just generally illegally download crap.

The only reason I don't have an iPhone is because I can't personally justify buying something that is more expensive and get no pros out of it. Both operating systems have matured, except one is always bundled in a more expensive way, and like Indy pointed out, I like being able to install torrent downloading apps, have applications that simplify torrent searches and just generally illegally download crap.

I'm sure you have contract prices in England that dramatically reduce the price to something like $199, $299, $399, etc.

I'll keep saying it, after a year or two if you want to upgrade to a newer iPhone, I've gotten all my money back, if not more which went to the newer model by selling it. You can go with the cheap plastic phone with upgrades that are periodic and random (I still like the Android OS, my grandpa had an HTC before switching to the iPhone and I thought it was really cool) or a quality built phone with yearly scheduled updates and regular bug fixes.

In the UK you can pay an average £30 - £45 per month on contract for the latest phone.

Right now I have the S5, it is a big upgrade from my iphone4 which was slow and buggy after 3 years of constant use. One thing that still annoys me a little (a lot a the beginning), was that the S5 has 2 of everything, 2 email apps, 2 internet apps, 2 music apps. You can't delete them as well.

In terms of camera it is amazing. The video records in 2k resolution and its got a 16MP camera which is insanely good.

I'm sure you have contract prices in England that dramatically reduce the price to something like $199, $299, $399, etc.

I'll keep saying it, after a year or two if you want to upgrade to a newer iPhone, I've gotten all my money back, if not more which went to the newer model by selling it. You can go with the cheap plastic phone with upgrades that are periodic and random (I still like the Android OS, my grandpa had an HTC before switching to the iPhone and I thought it was really cool) or a quality built phone with yearly scheduled updates and regular bug fixes.

I don't want to get into long term contracts. I'm a dirty foreigner, there is no way I'm signing a 2 year contract to own a phone, I might fuck off to Malta in a week for all I know.

I don't want to get into long term contracts. I'm a dirty foreigner, there is no way I'm signing a 2 year contract to own a phone, I might fuck off to Malta in a week for all I know.

Fucking immigrants :P

Anyway, would just like to add that iPhone definitely has a better music player than my Xperia. There are a few features that I miss. But I still can't see myself going back.

I consider a laptop to fall under "mobile device".

Apple announced a new laptop called The New Macbook. It looks more like a Macbook Air quite honestly, but comes in three colors. Space gray, Silver, and gold (which looks pretty nice).

Weighs 2 pounds and clocks in at 12 inches. It's 24% lighter than the 11-inch Macbook Air, measuring 13.1mm in thickness. Brand new keyboard design and each key is individually lighted by an LED. 2304 x 1440 Retina display. The touchpad also no linger clicks and has four force sensors in each corner with a "click feel" managed by software. It also includes a USB Type-C connector making it the first laptop to feature a reversible USB standard. 9 hour battery.

It starts at $1,299 with 8GB Ram and 256GB flash based storage. 512GB will be $1,599.

new_macbook_03.jpg

Apple Watch also releases April 24th.

I'm getting an Apple Watch whenever my next transfer clears through. It's $399, and if I want Apple Care+ it's $49 more. 

Should I get Apple care plus?

Regular coverage:

• 1 year limited hardware warranty (2 years for Apple Watch Edition)
  • 90 days of free technical support (2 years for Apple Watch Edition)

If any part of the device fails during the first year, and it's not due to accidental or intentional damage, Apple will likewise replace it. So, if the digital crown stops spinning or the screen won't come on, you're covered. If you drop it and break it, or take it in the swimming pool and short it out, you're on your own.

Unless you have AppleCare+. For an additional fee, AppleCare+ provides the following:

• 2 years limited hardware warranty (3 years for Apple Watch Edition)
  • 2 years of free technical support (3 years for Apple Watch Edition)
  • 2 incidents of accidental damage (subject to a service fee)

Why do you want an Apple Watch? Being called a douche online isn't enough?

This is that pivotal moment in your life when you get to decide what kind of person you want to be. Is a tiny wristphone really worth it?

• Like 1

Well, it's my money, and I enjoy new gadgets.

If being a douche is owning something you want, then we're all douches. I'm sure you spend your money in ways I would see as a waste, but I stopped giving a shit about a lot recently. Buying this would make me happy, something I've been having trouble with for a while. 

I know I could get a smart watch for less, but this goes perfectly with my phone, and the fitness tracking actually seems really nice as I have a hard time finding accurate measures for when I bike, hike, and kayak all summer and fall. 

Gas masks, surgical equipment, and BDSM gear are never a waste of money. Also, I'm at the unfortunate point in my life where there is nothing I can buy that will bring me any happiness, so I can't really relate. Buy the watch and savor the feeling while you can. Clock is ticking on that shit. Pun not intended.

If you're going to spend all that money on something you're accidentally going to smack against a wall, after a few weeks, you might as well spring for the extra coverage.

• Like 1

An Apple watch is an overpriced toy. It might be able to do a lot of nifty things, but buying a gadget won't solve whatever is making you feel depressed.

Oh I know it won't, but it's one of the things I find joy in aside from traveling which I can't do all the time so whatever.

Anyway, overpriced or not, $400 doesn't break the bank.

R14m2aw.jpg

I'm not buying the watch, but.. I would get the warrantee, soley because this is a first generation product. Which is also why I'm not buying it..

Once again I try to rationalize why I'd want to buy a new Apple product, and once again I fail to come up with justifications. In this particular case, I just see 0 use for it.