Jizzy

covers for songs that are better than the original.

Marilyn Manson - I Put a Spell on You, Tainted Love, Sweet Dreams, Rock & Roll honky, and You're So Vain. He also covered Personal Jesus, but the Depeche Mode version is better.

Johnny Cash - Hurt.

He also covered Personal Jesus, but the Depeche Mode version is better.

Agreed.

I can think of quite a few covers that are better imo.

Judas Priest - Green Manalishi (Fleetwood Mac cover)

Megadeth - These Boots Are Made For Walkin' (Nancy Sinatra Cover)

Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower (Bob Dylan cover)

Rage Against The Machine - Street Fighting Man (Rolling Stones Cover)

Led Zeppelin - When The Levee Breaks (A couple of yokels from the 20's or something. I've never heard the original, but Led Zep's version has to be better. A Perfect Circle's cover is nearly as good)

David Bowie - China Girl (Iggy Pop Cover, although Bowie and Iggy wrote it together)

Iron Maiden - Massacre (Thin Lizzy Cover. I don't think Maiden's version is better, but it's equally as good)

I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston (original by Dolly Parton)

You Really Got Me - Van Halen (by the Kinks)

Whiskey In The Jar - Metallica/Thin Lizzy (by the Dubliners), all three good though

Suzie Q - CCR (by Dale Hawkins)

Live And Let Die - Guns 'N' Roses (by Paul McCartney and the Wings)

can't think of others right now.

Marilyn Manson - I Put a Spell on You, Tainted Love, Sweet Dreams, Rock & Roll honky, and You're So Vain. He also covered Personal Jesus, but the Depeche Mode version is better.

Johnny Cash - Hurt.

Massacre, I'm sorry to have dug up what is almost a year old post to start a fight over but, Patti Smith's "Rock'n'Roll honky" is superior to Marilyn Manson's "Rock & Roll honky." Though Manson's is a damn fine effort, I'd argue his finest, and a sped up tempo does the song justice, Patti does it right.

I first heard the song in question while listening to the Natural Born Killers soundtrack, as a 13 y/o sitting in my dorm room, my first year at boarding school. I heard a woman's voice spouting poetry I couldn't understand. It was sexy. The guitar riff made my spine tingle. I couldn't tell if the first singer was a man or a woman. Having honky yelled at me over and over again for the first time in my life froze me solid. The music started to make the whole experience rather trippy.

After the song was over, I had to turn off my stereo. My mind was blown. I really liked that song. But it had that word honky in it, a lot. Did that make me racist? Was the song racist? Was the song writer a racist? These were all questions I thought over constantly that year. It wasn't a topic others liked to join me in, so I meditated on it, and gained some perspective about a word grown men and women call the n-word.

Manson's version could never take me to those places.

And to contribute, more GWAR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTFKxP8TMtI

• Like 1

Patti Smith - and indeed, all punk other than the Ramones - eluded me in my younger years. I didn't hear any of it until my late teens. Manson, however, I first heard at the age of 9, and started listening properly at 13. Because of this, and myriad other factors, I am obviously biased, except in the case of original songs that are almost indisputably better than Manson's cover (Personal Jesus).

Punk, even what is produced by those near and dear to my heart (Iggy Pop, Black Flag) tends to blend together and become background noise if I listen to it for too long, and this has created a bias against it when compared to other styles.

So, that's what happened there. I still prefer Manson's version, but I imagine most wouldn't.

• Like 3

Don't get too excited, The Ramones aren't even in my top 5. They're just one of those bands who are excessively well known and are far more likely than any other band to be the first punk someone hears in their lifetime.