I like Akon.....

It seems you are confused, this is a hip hop thread

Seems you are confused. Akon is a 'Hip-Hop and R&B" artist. Hip Hop isnt just rap my friend.....

I like Akon.....

It seems you are confused, this is a hip hop thread

Seems you are confused. Akon is a 'Hip-Hop and R&B" artist. Hip Hop isnt just rap my friend.....

I mean Akon is a garbage excuse for hip-hop, just like Lil Wayne or Drake.

• Like 2

I have always used the term "hip-hop" to refer to the talentless wannabes that are in it purely for the money. I make sure I tell people I listen to rap and not hip-hop. However, I know that's not the actual definition of the term.

I have always used the term "hip-hop" to refer to the talentless wannabes that are in it purely for the money. I make sure I tell people I listen to rap and not hip-hop. However, I know that's not the actual definition of the term.

Technically you're right. "Hip-Hop" is was a culture created in the Bronx in like, the 70's featuring dance, graffiti, DJing and rapping. All together these things combined to create what was then known as hip-hop. Now it's definitely changed, at least in the mainstream aspect of it, devolving into proud americans who all use the same shitty generic beats, shitty lyrics but make it catchy to infect the minds of 13 year old, OBEY wearing, swag obsessed motherfuckers, to signify "artists" if they must be called so, such as Drake, Lil Wayne Nicki Minaj etc....I don't really refer to it as rap though because if I tell people I listen to rap, they immediately think it's those people I mentioned earlier, because to them there is no other form of rap, sadly.

That's why I think the beastie boys are so great. They were never fully in it for the money, and they didn't care what other people thought. Those guys just went out and had more fun than any other group or artist ever.

• Like 1

Technically you're right. "Hip-Hop" is was a culture created in the Bronx in like, the 70's featuring dance, graffiti, DJing and rapping. All together these things combined to create what was then known as hip-hop. Now it's definitely changed, at least in the mainstream aspect of it, devolving into proud americans who all use the same shitty generic beats, shitty lyrics but make it catchy to infect the minds of 13 year old, OBEY wearing, swag obsessed motherfuckers, to signify "artists" if they must be called so, such as Drake, Lil Wayne Nicki Minaj etc....I don't really refer to it as rap though because if I tell people I listen to rap, they immediately think it's those people I mentioned earlier, because to them there is no other form of rap, sadly.

Yeah I knew that was the original definition of hip-hop. :lol:

There is a general rule I follow to whether a song is in the hip hop genre or not. If it has mostly rap and i mean good rap, not the half assed shit you see in R&B songs with Akon and all the little QDs you see today. And only a little bit of singing maybe in the background mixed with the music or in the main chorus, that is Hip Hop. If it has any Male/Female Pop or R&B artist singing more than the Hip Hop artist is rapping, than the song is probably one of the many mainstream Pop/R&B pieces of shit which disguises itself as Modern Hip Hop.

And all of this so-called Hip Hop is there to cater to little kids, and all the teenage girls who don't want to be called a bitch or a hoe and wouldn't know a good song if it took a massive chunk out of their ass. I haven't heard proper Hip Hop in Australia for years. It's like they've banned it on all TV and Radio Stations here. You have to search the internet using music search engines and sift through all the shit to find any decent music these days and alot of it isn't Main Stream it's Underground. All I need is a basic beat and a great rhyme and I'm usually happy, although the better songs with all the elements working together ( great rhyme, phat beat, and tight tune all blending seamlessly ) are harder to find.

I suggest listening to these:

- Army of the Pharohs ~ Cookin Keys

- Big L ( Feat Fat Joe ) ~ The Enemy

- Dead Prez ~ Hip Hop

- AZ ~ The Format

- Luniz ~ I Got 5 On It

- Gangstarr and Inspecta Deck ~ Above The Clouds

- NAS ~ New York State Of Mind

- Royce Da 5'9 ( Feat DJ Premier ) ~ BOOM

- Zion I ~ Spinnin

- Dilated Peoples ~ Worst Comes To Worst

- Jedi Mind Tricks ~ Violent By Design

- Non Phixion ~ Exisitence

- Immortal Technique ~ Dancing With The Devil

I could give you a tonne more but I will give you these, just a few of my favourite tracks. This stuff is Real Hip Hop, with proper lyrics which make you think or at least paint a detailed picture, they also have great original beats ( Especially any songs Featuring DJ Premiere ). All I can say is if you don't like these than you don't like Hip Hop.

• Like 1

This stuff is Real Hip Hop, with proper lyrics which make you think or at least paint a detailed picture, they also have great original beats ( Especially any songs Featuring DJ Premiere ).

DJ Premier and Pete Rock are definitely my two favorite producers, their beats are so fucking good.

-Eazy-E

-BG Knoccout

-Gangsta Dresta

-Deezer D

-Ice Cube

-Warren G

-Spice 1

-Celly Cel

-Young Ed

-Lil Half Dead

-Bone Thugs n Harmony

-Tupac (Dear Mama, Me Against The World, Shorty Wanna Be A Thug)

-Crooked I Gang

When I first started listening to early hip-hop, I was also a huge fan of only West Coast, G Funk era artists, largely because of San Andreas. But as time passed I discovered more East Coast artists that were better or equally as good:

Nas

Kool G Rap

Rakim

Guru

KRS One

Big Daddy Kane

Black Thought

AZ

Fat Joe

Wu Tang

CL Smooth

ATCQ

Masta Ace

Lords Of The Underground

Mobb Deep

and a few more (all in the 90s of course, some of them are complete shit now *coughmobbdeepfatjoecough* And also Geto Boys, particularly Scarface from the South.

What happened to all the great rappers like L. There's nothing but shit these days. :(

*generic wannabe semi-intellectual response*

There are loads, they're just all underground. You ignorant bastard!

But seriously I agree. It's not just the lyrics, but also the beats and the feeling. Most of it is just computerized and merged with techno to create the beats (which I hate).

Fucking insane skill in that video. Don't know if it was really a freestyle, but regardless the flow is still really good.

ESPECIALLY Kurupt at 4:00. His flow is one of the best I've ever heard, but he never really tried to make it big.