LVDavid

Cars, Traffic and the famous exploding

Hello!

Do you think RockStar will improve the car, traffic and damage system?

There were a few things that were always quite annoying in GTA SA and GTA IV:

1. In GTA SA, it was almost impossible to drive normally without damaging your car, when you tried to look cool in a Turismo, you either got tailgated by a speeding driver, had a frontal collision because the car on the other side ran over a bike and came over to your side of the road, you got t-boned at a green light by suspects fleeing from a police chase or even hit by a crashing airplane. Either way, driving in San Andreas was incredibly fun but sometimes it was really annoying that you couldn't drive for 30 Sekonds without any damage to your car.

2. In almost every GTA games which included huge cities, the streets looked almost empty. In a huge city like New York, like in GTA IV, there should be very heavy traffic, but even if I put traffic on max, the time square in GTA IV still looked pretty empty. :scooter:

3. The damage model of the cars looked always very unrealistic. Do you think we will get realistic damage models in GTA V?

4. And the last question...Am I the only one who thinks it is annoying that the car always starts burning and explodes when turned over on its roof? I really never liked this and I hope they will take it out in GTA V. What do you think about this?

Cheers, LVDavid :v

1. & 2. Hardware limitations mean they can't fill the world. I don't get how you can complain about constantly crashing and then say there isn't enough traffic. You can't have both.

3. Damage models take up memory. Was GTA IV really that bad? Of course they'll be improved but you aren't going to get a crash dummy simulator. Though when talking about video games, I think people's perception of "realism" is somewhat skewed and short sighted...

4. You never played GTA IV then?

4. You never played GTA IV then?

Didn't play it since a year...So I guess I got kinda confused...Anyways, regarding the traffic and the crashing...There was this game called "Driv3r", many years ago, I know its a very shitty game but the traffic, although not so heavy, was functionning very well and the cars werent always crashing into your back when driving. It was very well controlled and mostly you only had accidents if you ran red lights. I don't think it will be that impossiblre to make heavy traffic function well. In GTA IV, cars seemed already to be trying to avoid collisions, so maybe it will improve, maybe it won't.

1. In GTA SA, it was almost impossible to drive normally without damaging your car, when you tried to look cool in a Turismo, you either got tailgated by a speeding driver, had a frontal collision because the car on the other side ran over a bike and came over to your side of the road, you got t-boned at a green light by suspects fleeing from a police chase or even hit by a crashing airplane. Either way, driving in San Andreas was incredibly fun but sometimes it was really annoying that you couldn't drive for 30 Sekonds without any damage to your car.

The thing that made me laugh in SA was that no matter what car you had, the traffic always seemed to be able to keep up with you going down the highways. Speeding along in a Bullet and being outpaced by a Perennial, which then decides to switch lanes while along side you and causes you to have a major fucktacular crash into a tree or a barrier.

Cheers, ViceMan. -_-

• Like 4

Less retarded motorists would be great.

Nothing would piss me off more than when i was driving around and i would stop at a red light for the fuck of it and some idiot either hits me from behind or tries to pull up next to me scraping my car to shit.

i hated in gta SA how if someone rammed you they would go in circles around you and try to hit you, and if you drive off the would chase after you... hated that so badly.

I solve that problem by simply calmly exiting my vehicle, proceeding to pull out my desert eagle and blasting them in the face, 4 or 5 times. Then suddenly the traffic really clears for some reason, it's great.

• Like 6

GTAIV car handling war probably the most realistic from all GTAs. Other GTAs made it 'too easy' to drive a car when in real life it's much more difficult. With IV they allowed you to adjust the cars speed (R2 with standard controls) and the breaking was much more realistic.

2. In almost every GTA games which included huge cities, the streets looked almost empty. In a huge city like New York, like in GTA IV, there should be very heavy traffic, but even if I put traffic on max, the time square in GTA IV still looked pretty empty. :scooter:

Its a delicate balance with realism and gameplay. If star junction was always full of traffic it would be crap to drive through. People need to remember this is GTA. I want realism too but not too much, after all this still is a game.

3. The damage model of the cars looked always very unrealistic. Do you think we will get realistic damage models in GTA V?

Agree with you here, there were some improvements but in IV I basically had a side crash which only resulted in some scratched bodywork. Although some parts did improve, especially some cars going to the left after too much frontal damage. It is hard though to create real damage after all, if most GTA crashes happened in real life, likelihood is you will be in intensive care or dead.

4. And the last question...Am I the only one who thinks it is annoying that the car always starts burning and explodes when turned over on its roof? I really never liked this and I hope they will take it out in GTA V. What do you think about this?

I like this. I wouldn't want it to change but I think it won't anyway, since if you just leave cars around on the map you'll need trucks to take them to a scrapyard or something.

One thing I would like to add is I hope the return of the petrol opener thing on cars where if you hit them then the vehicle blows up.

• Like 1

Yeah driving normally in SA was practically impossible. I tried to in my pimped out 64' impala (or whatever the GTA version is) but got constantly run off the road or rammed, and then my car caught fire and exploded. From that day on I swore to drive like a maniac.

in all honesty GTA V will be perfect if they "borrow" per say from driver SAN FRAN

driving and handling was superb in that game. cars reacted like they should have, almost to a tee.

traffic was also really well set up.

everything about that game was amazing in my opinion, other than that stupid "hit A" and you can float to whatever you want, it made it WAY too easy.

if GTA is similar to driver at all, it will be incredible

in all honesty GTA V will be perfect if they "borrow" per say from driver SAN FRAN

driving and handling was superb in that game. cars reacted like they should have, almost to a tee.

traffic was also really well set up.

everything about that game was amazing in my opinion, other than that stupid "hit A" and you can float to whatever you want, it made it WAY too easy.

if GTA is similar to driver at all, it will be incredible

Yeah well it's expected for a driving game to have above average driving. But I see what you mean.

I didn't really care much about the car damage in IV, it never really bothered me. But I must admit it would be a lot cooler to see accidents with damage like in real life, except not accidents because it's GTA after all.

i hated in gta SA how if someone rammed you they would go in circles around you and try to hit you, and if you drive off the would chase after you... hated that so badly.

thats actually why i love driving in SA :D especially if youre in a towtruck, you can lower the winch when they hit the back of you and then they are trapped.

i also loved it when you hit into them sometimes, the driver gets out the car and attacks you with a shovel.

even on the radios, it was mentioned about how crazy san andreas drivers were. if the traffic in GTA V was perfect it wouldnt be the same, it wouldnt be los santos.

a little more realistic behavior of the traffic wouldn't hurt. I like how this improved in IV, but it still freaked my out how, at a red light, cab drivers always go nuts and try to push you over after a few seconds... but still way better than in SA.

and a more realistic damage model would be a blast. I said it in another thread already. different damage model for plastic and metal (must front/rear fenders are plastic nowadays), more parts that get ripped off (mirrors, hood, trunk, fenders, tires, doors, roofs, maybe even engines and axles) and a more realistic deformation of the car (after a while you can make a car look like a .zip folder) is what I would like to see.

• Like 1

what i would like to see with te cars:

if you are driving in a car, and you go out of it, walk a block and return, your car is gone. it would be nice if you are abled to put your car at the map,steel another car, drive all the way to the airport, raturn to the spot where your car is, and your car would stil be there. :D,

sorry for my crappy enlish, i am from holland :)

what i would like to see with te cars:

if you are driving in a car, and you go out of it, walk a block and return, your car is gone.

I hated that so much. The shittiest thing about parking in IV/TBOGT was that it was on the fucking road, practically asking any manic taxi driver to ram your car out of the parking space. This was the worst in TBOGT, as every time I parked a whole load of cars lined up. Eventually they shoved my infernus out of the parking space, so I lost it. And my Dukes with a dope paint job.

i want cars to only blow up only if the engine is shot. idk why but it pissed me off when i shoot an open car door 5 times with a shotgun and my car starts flamin also in iv i was happy about how cars don't catch fire when flipped. but i think i v when cars are realy screwed up gasoline leaks out of the tank if its shot the car preceds to catch fire and blow.

about cars exploding, realistically the only way to blow up a car with bullets is to shoot the gas tank twice under the right conditions and the bullet that ignites it has to be a tracer round.

if they made that realistic, how fun would the game be? a GTA where cars dont explode when shot enough?

this is a prime example of the realism-fun ratio.

Hopefully they will make sports cars not as rare to find like in GTA IV... I swear I could never find an Infernus except in a mission where you got one from Bernie.

Otherwise it seemed you could never find one. In the Ballad though you can get a lot more sports cars.

Unfortunately I think idiot drivers are back. If you look closely at about 0:16 in the trailer, there is nearly a crash at the intersection.

Well, probaly it was a little AI fail, but Rockstar could upgrade the AI since the trailer...

Anyway, it's really annoying in Sa, you tuned your car and at the next juction everyone'll ram your vehicle...

As well I hope the cars don't blow up when you shoot with a weak 9mm on it, only if you shoot at the gas tank or use explosive stuff

But on the hand its funny to see how CJ is able to blow up a car only with fists