Sign in to follow this  
DuPz0r

PS4/XboxOne Generation

I guess we could do with a decent game tech thread. We're not far off our next generation of gaming now (July 2012). Even though it has only felt like a couple years since the start of this current gen.... When i say gen, i loosely use the term based on the time between console releases and PC hardware jumps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there going to be a big jump between current and next wave of consoles and PC games?

Is there no jump?

Is it just a slow progression?

Have we hit the ceiling in terms of hardware capability?

Is there something new in terms of capability for gaming?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use this space to post tech demos of soon to be released game development software, and discuss some of the questions or something related to what I posted above.

Here are a couple of tech demos I found online recently:

If you look at the benchmarks between the major cards 2 years ago and the major cards now it's evident there is absolutely no slow progression. AMD and nVIDIA are constantly one upping each other. Very competitive at the moment. Kepler is an absolute power house and doesn't have the temperature fiasco's the fermi's had, and 7990 is susposed to be right around the corner. Can't wait to see what AMD have in store.

Oh and crap, that skin benchmark really brings back memories.

• Like 1

That's not real time btw. It's pre-rendered. Sub Surface scatter is generally used in 3DS Max And Maya (it can be done in realtime, but not that well yet) for light scattering through the skin when rendered. And this video is not next gen mate, it's possible now... Rendering just takes time, not always power like realtime game graphics.

Hi.

Thought I'd post this on here since this is the only forum that I use. And the only one without any arguing, fanboyism, and general talking of shit about games. Its a well moderated site.

Anyway, few questions/wonders about the next stage of gaming.

1. Are we going to notice such a massive difference in terms of the graphics in the next console? Or are we in a stage of HD that everything is going to be pretty much the same, with some improvements. I expect after a few years into the next cycle, then the graphics will greatly improve, like they did with this generation. It's still going to be for HD tv's so am I being stupid in expecting it not to improve greatly that I'll go "Wow", like I did when moving from PS2 to PS3?
  2. Is anyone expecting them to do away with hard retail copies entirely? Because I know I don't want to really spend hours downloading the games I want to play. And if that happened, it would seriously put me off gaming entirely.

Can't really think on anything else to wonder about just now.

I haven't been too impressed with the 'next-gen' graphics, it seems there hasn't been as much as a leap as last time. Or maybe we're just used to really good graphics now. I'd say the real defining thing for next-gen games should be physics simulations, AI etc.. stuff like that. Most games do a poor job at best, and none come close to real life. So that's where they need to start focusing on.

Also less bloom, hdr...cheap effects like that need to go.

Did you not see the Cryengine 3 and unreal 4 videos? there is clearly a jump in some areas. Like tessellation and particle effects. But i agree in some ways, it's hard to push the boundaries visually with current knowledge. In order to make games look truly "next gen" they'd have to be on par with film, and that's a completely different kind of genre (3D/VFX). Realtime engines do need work in the physics and lighting areas though.

I haven't been too impressed with the 'next-gen' graphics, it seems there hasn't been as much as a leap as last time. Or maybe we're just used to really good graphics now. I'd say the real defining thing for next-gen games should be physics simulations, AI etc.. stuff like that. Most games do a poor job at best, and none come close to real life. So that's where they need to start focusing on.

Also less bloom, hdr...cheap effects like that need to go.

If the actual gameplay next gen were to look even close to some of these tech demos and still be able to run at decent framerates, I would still be quite impressed. I still like the look of last year's Unreal engine tech demo:

Maybe. It's hard to tell, because real-time and rendered look quite different, because of the technique used to make them both. Games run at 30 to 40 frames per second. Rendering can take 1-2 hours per single frame to render. It's mostly calculations of light bouncing off objects and stuff, so it's a completely different way to generate 3D objects.

I'm fully expecting that a few developers and studios will be working on early builds of games awaiting the kits for the next gen consoles. If you look at the two Batman games from Rocksteady as an example, with their last game being released last year you'd say any follow up (which seems unlikely as Arkham City is supposedly the last one) would be late 2013. Would expect then that they will be working on something for the next gen consoles, Batman or not and would be a good chance for them to get out the blocks early with a decent game, and given the reviews of their last two games they are certainly very popular among both gamers and reviewers.

What I personally would like to see if less reliance on old franchises, more new franchises, fresh ideas/titles, the next generation consoles , certainly the PS3 and WII, have the opportunity to make big leaps forwards, the PS3 with regards to the screen resolution and graphics quality, and for the Wii maybe a final understanding of having to get on terms with their competitors to not be left behind with games that seem to aim only for the younger market and families and seem to ignore the core of gamers.

I would like to see low latency video streaming via bluetooth and wifi so i can use portable devices as monitors. Watching the nfl and playing fallout six would be great

I would like to see low latency video streaming via bluetooth and wifi so i can use portable devices as monitors. Watching the nfl and playing fallout six would be great

PSP and Vita have wifi remote play. It's rather limited in the games department, but everything else can be done from the portable devices. This is the start, and i'm sure the next gen will follow on and create better remote access on the go, allowing you to access everything you have at home, or on a cloud system.

Not going to lie, that video was AMAZING! I can't wait until graphics are that good. I think we are a long ways away though. Top of the line pc games don't even look that good, and I play at 2560x1600 all settings maxed on most games.

The Witcher 3 is being developed for next gen consoles and high-end PCs. thought i'd put that out there. No point in making a thread as there is no in-game footage yet.

Anyone gets any small bits of info abut next gen titles, don't forget to post them here first! :D sharing is caring.

There was this one game I saw they released a teaser trailer its supposed to be a first person open world game in the future.

Bethesda are hiring for a next gen title, so they could be working on a fallout 4 *fingers crossed*.

Future Generation Console Programmer

Division: Bethesda Game Studios | Department: Programming | Location: Rockville, US-MD, US

Bethesda Game Studios is looking for experienced programmers to work on cutting-edge technology for an unannounced game on future-generation consoles.

Requirements

• At least 5 years of game development experience with multiple titles shipped

• Extensive experience programming and optimizing for the Xbox 360 and PS3

• Experience with DirectX 11 a plus

• Passion for making GREAT games, and being part of a GREAT team

• Ability to contribute innovative ideas towards all aspects of game development

• Must create amazing things with minimal oversight

• Experience playing Bethesda Game Studios games a plus