Massacre

The Food Topic

Started a garden for my mom so she has some scenery during recovery before her upcoming surgery. 

I'm working with relatively dead soil. Nothing has been planted here but a bush. I only worked on our side of the patch (we live in an apartment). 

I mixed up all the soil, ripped up small roots from the bush, added nutrient rich garden soil and had at it. This year is a test. Next year I will prep earlier and better, and use some natural fertilizer and compost this fall to really get the area good. It's a little short on sunlight, so I may need to change my plants as well.

Planted some annuals, small flowers, just picked nice ones at Walmart, and some fern type. 

What I'm most excited for is the cilantro and dill seeds that I planted. I love dill, and cilantro will be great for homemade guac and salsa this summer.

My first time really giving a try at gardening. 

oROJyRe.jpg

• Like 2

Guys, what is cilantro supposed to taste like? The internet says it's because of a genetic fuckup in my brain that it tastes like dish soap, to me.

I'm just happy to have one mental problem that doesn't put me at risk of prison time or institutionalization.

• Like 2

dish soap is sorta accurate, i could see the similarities. But, your not supposed to eat it like lettuce... your supposed to use it to brighten up otherwise muddy dishes.... it providers a sharpness to food.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Massacre said:

Guys, what is cilantro supposed to taste like? The internet says it's because of a genetic fuckup in my brain that it tastes like dish soap, to me.

I'm just happy to have one mental problem that doesn't put me at risk of prison time or institutionalization.

Not sure how to explain it well, I don't get the soap taste though. It just tastes fresh, maybe slightly citrusy. It adds an element to certain things, for example if you have a salsa it contrasts the heat or lets say the zing of an onion a little. Similar to why you add acidity to certain dishes. 

• Like 1

Massacre is right though, cilantro is loved by some and tastes like shit to others, through no fault of their own. I like it a lot, but my man is one of the soapy tasters, so I don't use it often. 

Great job, Brian. One thing to keep in mind when planting is not to crowd the plants too much, you have to leave enough space between them for what they will grow into, use the space recommendation on the plant's info marker as a guide. You should be fine with what you have there. E.g., a zucchini plant is one that looks harmless enough to start, but can grow from a tiny stem with two leaves into a massive thing that needs 4 square feet of space. And if you ever plant mint, for the love of God don't put it in the ground, it will take over everything and its woody roots run deep and are hard to dig out - just put it in a pot and it'll be fine. Mint makes nice tea for upset stomachs.

There's something deeply satisfying about growing food, it tastes amazing. And if you deadhead those petunias they'll keep flowering all summer. :)

• Like 1

Yep, gardening is great..

i grow tomatoes, bell peppers, summer squash, green beans, and potatos... I also got blueberry, blackberry, and raspberry bushes... I use those as a perimeter around my yard.. I get a modest amount of blackberries and raspberries, but I get tons of blueberries. I still have a few pounds in my freezer from last year.

• Like 1

i grew up on a farm, but had no desire to do that myself when i moved out lol... plus i live in the city, don't feel like it anymore... but i do support local farmers and buy local as much as possible... we're kind of blessed here in michigan, we can grow just about anything, and grow it well...

I grew up with a huge backyard garden. We have tried unsuccessfully to grow stuff at my house, but it's just too shady and damp, so we stick to flowers and greenery now. I am literally surrounded by farms and markets, though, and take full advantage. A good Saturday includes meat, bacon, seasonal veggies & fruit, baked goods, and wine, beer or cider from at least half a dozen different farmers. We also get our honey from a beekeeper across the river. It's very satisfying to slap cash across the palms of the folks that produce your food. 

Qd, do you ever do jams or pickles or sauces with your harvest?

On 5/3/2017 at 10:03 PM, gtagrl said:

I grew up with a huge backyard garden. We have tried unsuccessfully to grow stuff at my house, but it's just too shady and damp, so we stick to flowers and greenery now. I am literally surrounded by farms and markets, though, and take full advantage. A good Saturday includes meat, bacon, seasonal veggies & fruit, baked goods, and wine, beer or cider from at least half a dozen different farmers. We also get our honey from a beekeeper across the river. It's very satisfying to slap cash across the palms of the folks that produce your food. 

Qd, do you ever do jams or pickles or sauces with your harvest?

I make blueberry jam, but the blackberrys and raspberries I just eat fresh ;)

i am consisdering getting a bee hive stand... but I'm not really sure I have the time and start up costs are around $600

• Like 2

Alright, my dill is coming in nicely. Need some ideas for recipes, and uses. Got lots of it.

The thing about dill is, a little goes a long way because the flavour packs such a punch. 

While it's still fresh, use it on fish (baked or grilled or put it with breadcrumbs for coating fillets); it's really nice in potato salad or any salad dressing, also good chopped and stirred into mayo/sour cream for a dip. I don't know if you want to get into pickling/canning, but that's the other big thing I use it for when it's fresh, making dill pickles. 

Once you're sick of eating dill on everything, pick it all, lay it out on a sheet of tinfoil and lay it on a cookie sheet. You can either leave it out in a sunny spot to dry, or bake it in a really low oven for an hour or two, until all the moisture is completely gone. Then rub it with your finger tips to get all the stems out, and you'll be left with a nice compact batch of dried dill slivers, pretty much like what you'd buy at the store in the dried herbs/spices section. Put it into a small jar and use it for the rest of the year. 

• Like 2

Gtagrl, you could ship one of those to each of us! How long does Canada to us customs take? Should be fine for 3-4 days ;)

• Like 1

That puff pastry would probably freeze well for travelling.

There's no finer time of year than July in New Brunswick, you guys should just come for a visit and a feast!

21 hours ago, gtagrl said:

That puff pastry would probably freeze well for travelling.

There's no finer time of year than July in New Brunswick, you guys should just come for a visit and a feast!

I really don't think inviting people like me over is a safe decision. The baked goods look lovely, but when I eat one of your neighbours the novelty may wear off. 

Also, Firm. That is way too much bacon. I envy you. 

• Like 1

So I have been trying to improve in the kitchen lately. Unfortunately man can't live on fried eggs and bacon alone...it's a start I suppose.

IMG_0444.JPG

IMG_0440.JPG

• Like 1