Massacre

The Food Topic

^Nice plate. Develop that palate and eventually you'll work your way into the seriously stinky cheeses...paired with a nice port, wine, or beer...:drool: omg I love food.

Since you like the cured beef, find a Lebanese/Arabic deli and try some basturma. You're welcome in advance. 

• Like 2

^Nice plate. Develop that palate and eventually you'll work your way into the seriously stinky cheeses...paired with a nice port, wine, or beer... :drool: omg I love food.

Since you like the cured beef, find a Lebanese/Arabic deli and try some basturma. You're welcome in advance. 

I'll be on the lookout next time I head into the city, I'll let you know what I think!

Any cheeses you recommend? 

• Like 1

Nothing specific comes to mind, there are sooooo many out there...what you should do is ask the cheesemonger - they are the expert!

Tell them what you've been tasting lately, what you like/don't like (creamy, melty, mild, pungent, spicy, smoky, fresh, brined, aged, goat, sheep etc) and say you're looking to explore and try new things, can they recommend a personal favourite, or a local regional specialty? You'll probably get some lovely samples to try, and you don't have to spend a huge amount to taste a couple of new varieties.

Plain cheese is overrated. I think it's mainly for people who want to feel important/fancy.

... meat on the other hand..

On 7/31/2016 at 8:39 PM, gtagrl said:

I am making pickles. Canning is hot work, it's hot as balls in here. 

I made pickles once with my uncle when I was little. He has about an acre's worth of land (which is a lot for Long Island) and grows all types of vegetables. Homemade pickles with homegrown cucumbers. 

Speaking of gardening, here's one of his pumpkins this year, it's about 150lbs so far. Will likely hit 700+ if all goes well

BwevWFc.jpg

8KZEoKP.jpg

• Like 1

A friend of ours keeps chickens, and gave us a carton of 18 eggs. My man is allergic to eggs. Tomorrow is Halloween, and we're having a potluck at work. Conveniently, I have many eggs to get rid of. 

TL:DR

I'm making radioactive lemon squares. I also found jet black fondant, so I'm going to make little symbols to put on top of each bright green lemon square. If that doesn't work I can make the symbols out of chocolate, we'll see. 

There are extra egg whites leftover from the squares, so I'm also doing little ghost meringue cookies. Pretty fun. Will post pics when they're complete.

• Like 2

i made a bacon dill potato salad for a potluck on monday... with of course white onions, celery, dijon mustard, boiled eggs, chives, salt n pepper to taste, and what i found kind of cool was, using 1/2 sour cream instead of full mayo... it really made a difference, it's not super thick in mayo... there was no fresh dill at the store i went to, which i think would of really added another level... but i love it, i hope it goes over well tomorrow :mellow::D... i can't stop eating the results, i hope it makes it to the potluck :P... but yea, i've always wanted to make potato salad, surprised it took me this long to do it...

• Like 3

Bear is one of those meats that doesn't even need spices (though any meat benefits from it, obviously). It's phenomenal as-is.

I've tried kangaroo and rattlesnake, recently. Kangaroo is magnificent. The rattlesnake was poorly prepared, but that left it with a texture similar to jerky, so I can't really complain.

• Like 1

I asked him what the bear jerky had been flavoured with, and he said, "Salt." I don't know what that bear had been eating, but clearly it wasn't foraging in the nearest dump. The flavour was incredible. 

Never had snake or roo. Have had moose, deer, lamb. I tried rabbit once, made expertly by an Italian friend, but I didn't like it much. An odd flavour and not the most pleasant texture. 

Trying to get more fiber and superfoods into my diet, and I love quinoa when I've had it.

What are some good quinoa salad recipes?

Know what I am a new fan of? 

talenti+peanut+butter+pretzel+gelato+pin

This stuff is AMAZING! If you have never had it, you must try it. It isn't cheap but it is so much better than standard ice cream. 

Just stopped over at Costco and they have a metric fuck ton of Irish bangers for sale right now (and plenty of corned beef, time to eat my weight in that shit). Anyway, I've never had Irish bangers, but read they're made mostly of pork.

I love bratwurst, knockwurst, weisswurst, italian sweet and hot sausages, country sausge, etc. How do the Irish ones taste? Worth getting a few packages and making some bangers and mash?

6 hours ago, Firm said:

Got wankered last night seeing The Beat and the Selecter...

Nothing compares 

image.jpg

Those wetherspoon plates are so fucking garish, the food from there is so good though

• Like 1

Yeah. They do look a bit tacky. 

I like going to the curry club on Thursdays. Curry and a pint for 6 quid. Can't fault it. 

On 10/04/2017 at 6:09 PM, Firm said:

Yeah. They do look a bit tacky. 

I like going to the curry club on Thursdays. Curry and a pint for 6 quid. Can't fault it. 

I only had the steak club... which was very good for the price and the fact its a chain... fish and chip friday is alright too, but I much prefer a normal chippy

Easter treats. Phyllo pastry cups - my first time making them but it won't be the last. Left side is filled with lemon curd, right side has vanilla bean pastry cream, topped with berries and a little homemade apricot jam for shine.20170416_112252.thumb.jpg.60ec3c524f0e54e0c35bdef16bcede58.jpg

• Like 2