Massacre

The Food Topic

Now I'm curious about what's in the mystery cream filling ( ;)) - maybe ask your grandma which bakery she gets it from and see if an online description is available...maybe it's a pastry cream (more like a vanilla pudding) instead of whipped cream? I tend to avoid dairy and eggs when I can because of family food allergies, but certain things can be adapted without any trouble.

Now I'm hungry...again... :P

I'll find out and post soon

At a Korean joint across town, I got a pile of hot grilled beef, a fresh salad, some sushi, white rice, and an assortment of pickles for 7.99:

BmlaaPg.jpg

...while my girlfriend received a bowl of...this, for 8.50.

XiT2bUx.jpg

Now that's value.

Edited by GunSmith
  • Like 2

Cutting the next few months before winter comes. Grilled chicken, eggs, and beans all day every day...

:(

Toby Carvery breakfast buffet. I'll have 9 pieces of bacon, three sausages, three fried eggs, scrambled eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, two hash browns. Then smother the lot in beans.

post-57-0-61753400-1443355661_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Took the kids Apple picking yesterday. Made them hold up a sheet under the tree whilst i did an earthequake test. Got more than enough apples abd pears to last a couple of weeks.

We made an apple crumble with cinnamon.

post-28-0-27620400-1443697490_thumb.jpg

Will probably do an apple pie, and a pear tart at so.e point this week too.

• Like 1

Lovely!! We'll be doing the same this weekend - apples, pears, cider, pie pumpkins. What kind of apples were available when you went?
My goal is to stuff the freezer with premade apple pies (and pumpkin puree), so that when it's snowing sideways in the coming months, I can chuck one from freezer to oven and remember the day we picked the apples off the tree, and say Fuck You to old man winter.

• Like 1

How cool - never heard of any of those varieties before. Here so far we've had some Honeycrisp, Paula Reds, and the family favourite Cortland will be ready this weekend, that's exclusively what I use in freezer pies. Our regular orchard should have some pears now too. Wish we could do an apple-exchange program!

• Like 1

I have a question for the more culinary able folk:

I often make paprika-flavored parsnip and sweet potato oven-baked chips (fries for you americans, although they're not fried), as a healthier alternative to fries. But the process of cutting all the parsnips and sweet potatoes can be quite long. So tomorrow I plan on cutting all of them at the same time in one go.

Can I freeze the cut chips, and oven-bake them straight from frozen without losing the nice crispy texture?

Freezing plant foods makes the cells undergo lysis, where the cell wall is ruptured as the water molecules within expand during freezing. However, roots like potato and parsnip don't contain that much water, compared to other plant parts. I can only guess that freezing would improve the texture.

Then again, I've never used a frozen root, so I could be totally, bass-ackwards wrong.

Edited by GunSmith

Freezing wont really harm the root veg, but from experience, it doesn't quite taste as good as fresh. Try freezing them pre-oiled, and then sprinkle a little seasalt on them when ready to put in the oven (if you're not too worried about the salt), an that should draw any excess moister out of them, making them more crisp. 

The Greeks have a version of that dish too (not surprising), called yemista, i.e., stuffed tomatoes, peppers and zucchini, but no tomato sauce on the exterior, just olive oil. Any idea what spices are used in your version's stuffing?

Now I'm hungry! You know that moment in the movie Ratatouille when the food critic takes one bite of the dish and is instantly transported back to his childhood? Yemista would totally do that for me.

I didn't make craft it, so I can't say for sure how it was spiced. There was definitely baharat in it, so I'd guess cumin and clove and coriander and peppers and such. Probably much more, I wish I knew what. I think there's a couple of Italian versions, too, now that you mention it...

Tonight we ate steak for supper, in a nod to the news that red meat, bacon, sausage and processed meats can cause cancer. I made cast-iron seared striploin, oven roasted crispy fries, and a side of cremini mushrooms sauteed in butter, garlic and a basil-walnut pesto I made over the weekend. 

• Like 3

Only 0.04% of the US population are diagnosed with colorectal cancer each year, which suggests there is a very slim chance of getting it to begin with, especially as the US is the king of processed foods...  scare mongering cunts...  

Edited by Ginginho
  • Like 2