JamieMilne

Mafia Series

Mafia II was an open-world game where you got to meet interesting people from another era and… well, shoot them. Oh, and swear at them as well, since it currently holds the record for most profanity in a game.

The Mafia franchise remains 2K Czech's only console franchise, and apparently a follow-up to the series will be coming.

Just not to this current console generation.

According to Czech gaming journalists, Mafia 3 will be an early title for next-generation systems. It was intended to be a launch title, but due to staffing issues, it's been delayed to make sure it's done properly. Beyond that there's little detail, especially about the story. But considering the franchise switched protagonists, locations, and time periods between sequels a change could well be in the works.

Especially interesting are rumors that 2K Czech and Rockstar have been working on some aspects of Grand Theft Auto V and trading secrets and design ideas. Considering Mafia was obviously heavily inspired by Grand Theft Auto, that makes for a pretty interesting rumor. Hopefully however it won't involve taking annoying people out for hamburgers.

Edited by bOnEs
changed the title of the thread...

I liked Mafia 2 as well but 2k could have done a way better job. I hope Mafia III won't bring more wasted potential

Well to be fair the protagonists in the Mafia games always did have 2 other partners; Paulie and Sam in Mafia, and Joey and Henry in Mafia II.

I'm more interested in knowing the time period the game is set in. Despite the fact that Empire City was pretty boring in Mafia II, 2K Czech did a good job giving the city a 1950's feel.

• Like 1

the empty open world in mafia II was such a let down tho... i remember at the time everyone was convinced it would 1+ GTAIV and it failed in every conceivable way... the best part of the game was the story and the gritty shootouts, but as far as i was concerned, it should of just been a linear title since there was nothing to do outside of missions...

it seemed like the only thing i did in freeroam was drive to the next mission...

i'll play mafia III but i am fully convinced it'll be a rental...

I never considered Mafia 2 to be the open world sandbox as they advertised it at the time. It was a linear story, and that's all it had going for it. I couldn't even suggest it would one-up GTA. I just liked the way it was written, and so with that, I will most likely buy the next in the chapter.

Time will tell. Lets see what they have to offer first. I'm expecting more this time around. They certainly need to focus on what a sandbox is all about though.

Also, we don't have rental stores around here any more, they seem to have been outmoded :(

He called it, i'm over enthused about this.  Been waiting too long for a game set in the early 70s, might even be late 60s.

I loved the driving physics from mafia 2, i hope it transfers over of course accounting for the better tires suspension and brakes of the muscle car era. 

I love the Mafia games. The story and theme is right up my street. Massive Godfather, Goodfellas and Sopranos fan, and Mafia seems to capture all of those in their games so well.

I hope they look at what was wrong with Mafia 2, and take leaf outta GTA's book, and make freeroam feel like a living breathing city with plenty of things to do outside of missions.

Bout' damn time.

I wonder how this will look on next gen. Also 70's FTW. Woooo!!!!!

Ya'll think there will be online this go round?

Edited by Bronson

Yeah Mafia II was completely forgettable for me, I struggle to remember a single detail about it let alone story or characters. Don't think i'll bother with this one, at least not at full price. It'll be one of those games I end up getting if i'm desperately bored of er'rythang else and I feel like spending a tenner.