Sign in to follow this  
Guest Marney-1

Curiosity on Mars

Guest Marley

I haven't been keeping up to date with the Mars Rover thing lately, I take it we've had no more pics then? :(

Also, one day we may be referring to someone as 'The First Man On Mars'. Hope I live 'til then, I'm getting old.

it has a top speed of 4 cm a second pathetic if you make a huge space robot the size of a car you want it to go faster than 4 cm a second i could walk faster while taking pictures. i still have massage respect for the nasa foundation though keep up the good work. x

it has a top speed of 4 cm a second pathetic if you make a huge space robot the size of a car you want it to go faster than 4 cm a second i could walk faster while taking pictures. i still have massage respect for the nasa foundation though keep up the good work. x

Nasa created this thing with so much new technology. It could discover a lot of things that past rovers cant. If you're so critical of the rover, build one yourself, or have the ESA do it.

Edited by Brian

You know what else is pathetic? You. Nasa created this thing with so much new technology. It could discover a lot of things that past rovers cant. If you're so critical of the rover, build one yourself, or have the ESA do it. If not then fuck off.

i still have massage respect for the nasa foundation though keep up the good work. x

my words and i believe that i said i have massive respect for the nasa foundation just saying if you spend $2 trillion on a rover wouldn't you want it to go maybe 1m a second that would be an alleged 'compromise'.

You know what else is pathetic? You. Nasa created this thing with so much new technology. It could discover a lot of things that past rovers cant. If you're so critical of the rover, build one yourself, or have the ESA do it. If not then fuck off.

i still have massage respect for the nasa foundation though keep up the good work. x

my words and i believe that i said i have massive respect for the nasa foundation just saying if you spend $2 trillion on a rover wouldn't you want it to go maybe 1m a second that would be an alleged 'compromise'.

Try walking at normal speed on Mars while taking photos with only 38% gravity and very little atmosphere to protect your body from explosive decompression.

actually if theres no atmosphere its easier because there's less air resistance and refriction because the atmosphere is like loads of loads of tiny sponge balls filling up the whole sky and they slow you down if you're trying to run through them but without them nothing can stop you you can run or walk for days and not get tired. trust me on this one please thank but i would need a space suit but you can probably get them off the internet or black market or in bolivia it never cesses to amaze me. x

actually if theres no atmosphere its easier because there's less air resistance and refriction because the atmosphere is like loads of loads of tiny sponge balls filling up the whole sky and they slow you down if you're trying to run through them but without them nothing can stop you you can run or walk for days and not get tired. trust me on this one please thank but i would need a space suit but you can probably get them off the internet or black market or in bolivia it never cesses to amaze me. x

Well part of the reason is that it takes 7 minutes for radio waves to go back and fourth between Mars and Earth. So you have 14 minutes back and fourth. They were mostly designed to go slow so that way they don't wind up going into a crater or rock at 50 MPH. Basically a safety precaution. It also moves slow so they don't miss anything and they often stop to take photographs and preform various other types of experiments.

Guest Marney-1

wow. Amazing. Have those been "color enhanced" ?

Don't think so, why would you ask something like that?

Im wondering if thats what it looks like on mars....

Or if the scientists photoshopped it....

I was reading on msnbc that some of the images had been enhanced, trying to figure out which ones.l.

Also, colors between picture two and three are a lot different...

They'd probably do a number of colour grading effects to enhance the overall richness. They're just trying to make it look more interesting, just like normal photographers. You almost never see raw photography commercially these days.

it is so red and futile i would like to go there and maybe look for some good rocks there. x

it is so red and futile i would like to go there and maybe look for some good rocks there. x

Yeah I could add them to my rock collection and brag to my friends.

My mate is in Geneva working as part of the group who are analysing Keplar 22-B. I'm a little jealous.

Curiosity is of course interesting, but I fear most of the results will only be of real interest to the actual scientists. It bothers me that we're unlikely to get out of the solar system in my lifetime.