Brian

Total War Series

Blacksox it was my job to post the factions :(

Anyway I can not wait to play as the Germans, using dogs and ambushing tactics will definitely be a highlight. The game by far is looking like it will be the best yet.

• Like 1

Medieval 2 will always be the best.

I don't know about always, because you can't predict how good Total War Games will be in the future.

But Medieval 2 was great. The Shine on the Advanced Plate Armour for all the different variants of Knights still look great when compared to the Total War's of today. Plus the Expansions where all unique and different, and the Music was some of the most Epic in the series.

Medieval 2 will always be the best.

I don't know about always, because you can't predict how good Total War Games will be in the future.

But Medieval 2 was great. The Shine on the Advanced Plate Armour for all the different variants of Knights still look great when compared to the Total War's of today. Plus the Expansions where all unique and different, and the Music was some of the most Epic in the series.

This was my favorite TW so far. Speaking of expansions, I loved Kingdoms. The Britannia campaign was among the best.

I fucking love the germans. Been reading a lot about them, they have their foot in almost every western civilisation!

My Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great ( and maybe a couple of more Greats ) Grandfather was a German Mercenary, who was a part of William of Orange's ( William III ) Army when he invaded England and took the English Throne. He then took part in the battles to retake Ireland, and was given land there as payment for his services to the new King.

Years later, when the Catholics retook Southern Ireland and alot of the Protestants where dispossessed of their land ( a large percentage of Germans were Protestant, including my relations ), my family sold everything they had and moved all over the world, including to the USA, Canada, New Zealand and Australia.

Although my Surname is actually Swiss, and that part of my heritage belongs to one of the oldest clans in Switzerland, going all the way back to the 12th Century. And most people who know their history, are aware that the Swiss had the best mercenaries in all of Europe throughout the Mid and Late Medieval Periods, and all the way up until the Renaissance. Our Coat of Arms has two crossed swords with the Swiss Cross below it and the Northern Star above it.

Here is the Wiki for Swiss Mercenaries. Which points out that our Pikemen were one of the best military units in the world at the time. ~ http://www.google.co...ydMaGNGxnPq2qqA

To this day the Swiss Guard still protect the Pope in the Vatican City. These were the last Swiss citizens permitted to act as mercenaries for a foreign power since 1859.

That's very interesting, I know about the Swiss Pikemen (from Age of Empires, I think!).

I'm a Sikh, our warrior culture is immense and something that people should really read about, purely because it's so interesting! Our entire history is embroiled in last stands, it would make Leonidas proud.

For example, the Battle of Saragarhi 1897.

21 Sikhs against 10,000 Afghans. Known as one of the greatest last-stands in all of military history, every single man gave his life, yet very few people know about the battle. Furthermore, unlike many of the older last-stands, this one was very accurately recorded, partly due to the nature of the battle and also due to the fact it was fairly recent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Saragarhi

• Like 1

That's very interesting, I know about the Swiss Pikemen (from Age of Empires, I think!).

I'm a Sikh, our warrior culture is immense and something that people should really read about, purely because it's so interesting! Our entire history is embroiled in last stands, it would make Leonidas proud.

For example, the Battle of Saragarhi 1897.

21 Sikhs against 10,000 Afghans. Known as one of the greatest last-stands in all of military history, every single man gave his life, yet very few people know about the battle. Furthermore, unlike many of the older last-stands, this one was very accurately recorded, partly due to the nature of the battle and also due to the fact it was fairly recent.

http://en.wikipedia....le_of_Saragarhi

Interesting stuff, and an unbelievable Last Stand. Weird I haven't heard about it before. Gurmukh Singh, the Last Sikh Standing ended up killing 20 Afghans, with the enemy having to set fire to the Fort in order to kill him. As he was dying he was heard yelling the Sikh battle-cry " Bole So Nihal, Sat Sri Akal " ( Victory belongs to those who recite the name of God with a true heart ).

I have learnt some things about Sikhs from Sikh friends at school and at work, and have done a bit of internet research on them as well. And from what I've learnt, it seems like they they were pretty much the Apex warriors in India. Usually being physically superior to other Indian Castes. Not just in strength ( they're also on average taller than most other Indians as well ), but also in their courage and determination.

I know that the Indian people are broken up into a caste system, with Sikhs playing the primary protective role for the rest of the Indian Castes ( and not just as warriors, but Elite warriors ). The British saw how effective Sikh warriors were in combat when they invaded India in the 17th Century. And they played an integral role when incorporated into the new British/Indian Army Corps from that point on, up until India's Independence in 1947. Without their help in Africa, The Middle East and Asia, I doubt that the British would of been successful in maintaining their Colonies in the East as long as they did. Even with their unmatched Naval Superiority.

I also know that the name Singh, which is commonly used as a title for Sikhs ( usually a Middle or Surname ), is roughly translated from Sanskrit as meaning " Lion ". An animal which is usually associated with warriors ( like for example the English King " Richard The Lionheart " ).

• Like 1

2nd Last Faction reveal.

Parthia4.jpg

Parthia

R2_logomon_256.png

“Tolerance, justice, profit”

The ascension to power of Arsaces, leader of the Parni tribe, assured them victory against the Seleucid protectorate of Parthava, who had been weakened in their attempts to break free of Greco-Macedonian rule. Thus began the rise of Parthia, an eastern empire comparable to the Achaemenid dynasty of old and one of the few who came close to matching the power and wealth of Rome.

A confederation of tribes, Parthia is famed for its horses, nomadic horse-archers and heavy cavalry, the latter developing distinctive bronze or iron scaled armour which covers both horse and rider. For its infantry it relies on ethnic Persian/Iranian hillmen, spear and skirmisher units and sometimes mercenaries, armed and drilled in the Seleucid fashion.

Blending Persian, Hellenistic and local cultures, Parthia’s religious practices and philosophies include veneration of both Greek and Iranian Gods, and the practice of Zoroastrianism. Over time, a noble elite has developed, holding key areas of agricultural land upon which the economy is based, while trade via the emerging Silk Road enables its agents to move easily throughout the ancient world.

As an Eastern faction, Parthia profits from the rich heritage established by the Persian Empire both in its capacity for trade and in its cultural strength. A degree of tolerance for foreign cultures further eases Parthian conquest of new lands, but their Zoroastrian practices mean an aversion to slavery, which is detrimental to both the economy and to public order. In battle, their great marksmanship and mastery of cavalry makes them a force to be reckoned with when fighting on open ground.

700px-ParthiaRoyalCataphracts.png

I thought the Cataphracts looked good, but take a look at the City in the background.

Are they going back to the system where if you destroy a faction it makes them playable?

Nope, they said all factions are going to be playable at the start. Parthians look great BTW.

The last faction was announced

Egypt3.jpg

A general under Alexander, Ptolemy was appointed to govern Egypt after his king’s sudden demise. With Alexander’s empire fragmenting, Ptolemy declared his independence, securing Egypt against his power-grabbing rival generals during the Wars of the Successors (322 – 275BC).

Embracing Egyptian religion and customs, the Ptolemies have since made themselves Pharaohs, continuing the long engineering tradition of great temple and monument building. Greek culture and learning are actively encouraged however, and an upper class of Greco-Egyptians has emerged. But things are not always harmonious; with Greek units garrisoned and veterans settling throughout the territory, the privileges of Greek citizens have led to frequent and bloody uprisings by the indigenous people.

The intermingling of Greek and Egyptian fighting styles provides the Ptolemaic Pharaohs with a military that is both advanced and balanced, yet still honours the role of the champion commander. Making great use of spear and pike, their forces are further diversified with skilled swordsmen, scythed chariots, and more exotic units such as African war elephants. Egypt's position on the Mediterranean Sea also requires a substantial navy to protect its colonial and trade interests.

While Alexandria has become a beacon of civilisation and learning, its rulers are power-hungry opportunists. This new dynasty may yet expand its territory and influence further – perhaps to unify the Greek-speaking peoples? Or west, to carry out Alexander's threatened conquest of Carthage?

As a Successor Kingdom, Ptolemaic Egypt is progressive and forward-looking. They are skilled statesmen and academics, and their naval prowess is unquestioned. However, as a recently established dynasty on foreign soil, the native Egyptians will take some convincing as to the value of their new rulers…

700px-EgyptPikemen.png

Here's the Teutoburg Forrest Gameplay walthrough ~

Also even though this is pre-alpha footage, I don't really like the new design of the Unit Cards. What do you guys think?

73978_450841358324403_1885040119_n.jpg

Overall a pretty average Walkthrough, and very disapointing when compared to the Carthage Demo. :no:

Creative Assembly have announced the Release Date for Rome 2 Total War ~ September 3rd 2013

They have also announced the Pre-Order Bonus ~ The Greek States Culture pack, featuring 3 Factions including: Athens, Epirus and Sparta. Here's a video showing the package ~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYl0F2NhNQo&feature=player_detailpage

So I'll have exactly two weeks of Rome 2 before the Juggernaut that is GTA V comes out. September is going to end up being the greatest month for gaming OF ALL TIME!!!

Review in Progress from IGN ~ http://www.ign.com/v...iew-impressions

These idiots at IGN sound like they've never even played a Total War game.

One of them was supposedly a Veteran TW Player as well, but he didn't know anything about Food, Zeal, Movement Points for Armies or even that there was an In-Game Encyclopaedia that would have an answer for every retarded question he had.

If the idiots were a little bit smarter they might actually dig around and then find the info they're moaning about not seeing. I mean does it have to be in Giant Fucking Letters, right in-front of their dumb fucking faces. Also while he's complaining about not seeing any helpful information, he ignores the advisor, and closes the help-tip pop ups before even reading them ( MORONS! / I hope these guys don't review the game/ because it looks like they've never played a Strategy Game in their lives ).

The guy is so dumb that in the battle shown he sends his forces to attack the enemy in one massive blob ( with no tactics whatsoever/ like flanking with the Calvary units he had ), he then lets the enemy charge it's spearmen right into his stationary cavalry ( slaughtering them in the process ). Also he complained about the Velites ( Latin ) name, thinking it should be changed to Archers or Javelin Throwers ( WTF, how stupid are you that you need the names of units to be dumbed down that much? )

Plus it looks like they were playing on the bare-minimum Specs for the game, and then decided to rate the animations and shitty performance based off of their crap machine. They also commented about the poor pathfinding in relation to moving their armies, when I saw no problems whatsoever. The problem was that they cannot move into an enemies zone of control without having enough movement points to attack them, a veteran would know this. ( IGN needs to get some proper Strategy Game Journalists & Editors/ because this is pathetic, they're supposed to be the biggest Game News Site on the internet )

That's what a review is, personal opinions, that people often don't agree with. I stopped watching "reviews" long ago and just started watching gameplays or first impressions for games. Chill out Blacksox.

Anyway, I bought the game last night and I'll be home in a few hours to download and play it. Looking forward to it.