Kwarb

Weather and Setting

flying cow

Cali weather doesn't particularly encourage tornadoes.

Fun fact, the LA basin is actually considered the "Tornado capital of the west". they have more tornado there then any place west of the rocky's. of course they are usually really small and almost always off shore (waterspouts). A couple years back we had a small tornado hit not far from my house, all it did was flip a parked train.

this article talks a bit aout LA weather:

http://www.aag.org/c...release.id=1480

It's probably just me, but I faintly remember being able to get stuck by lightning whilst flying a plane in GTA:SA

Nope, never happened unless you were using mods.

Is the rain ever torrential in LA?

It can, but I guess it depends on your definition of torrential. I mean there has been many storms that we might call torrential but are nothing compared to the "monsoons" in Arizona (and I dont think those are anything compared to some of the ones they have in other places in the world, like in Asia).

I will refer back to this article:

http://www.aag.org/c...release.id=1480

Edited by calimann83

Is the rain ever torrential in LA?

I really have no idea but I would imagine so, I'd like to see it mainly outside the city. It seems to be coming down pretty good here anyway:official-screenshot-lightning-near-the-dishes.jpg

They reacted pretty well in IV. It was neat to see peds running through the rain trying to keep themselves dry with a newspaper. Was even cooler to watch them take cover under a tree.

I live in L.A

Winter, (depending on El Niño, or La Niña)

Rainy season, usually (5-15 inches)

Mountains(Gorgonio National Forest, San Bernardino National Forest) 10 feet of snow per year

Desert: sometimes torrential rain and thunderstorms, but rare

Beach and urban areas: rain

Rest of the year: mild

• Like 5

I wanna see peds slip and fall from the rain.

Falling, cracking their skull open on the pavement, killing themselves instantly, leaving money strewn all over the ground :clap: ...

Sounds good to me...

• Like 2

i hope there is lightening like in screenshots, what if you could get struck by it but as a very rare occurrence, that would be intense but i don't know if they could pull it off

I know in GTA IV the only weather in the game was rainy, sunny, And over cast so do y'all think there will be different weather like different seasons or just at random times it will be a certain setting. I know SoCal has amazing weather almost year round but there should be different effects like the more inland u go to Blaine county which looks to be more desert like then it should be hotter and maybe if rockstar made it so there's more like a summer time then fall and winter maybe there will be snow the further u go up into the mountains. I'd understand if they didn't have the entire mountains covered in snow but since there are ski resorts in SoCal then that wouldn't be too in realistic. The only pic I've seen that shows there is Increment weather is the screen with lighting and its raining. Also If its like a torrential downpour then if I'm driving I the deser or in the mud I would want to see cars lose control and people get stuck.

I think it would be cool if the wind did affect your driving in some way. For instance, if you are driving a big rig through a section of Blaine County along a stretch of highway that goes through an open plains area or along a mountain pass, I think that natural wind resistance should affect your driving somewhat, however not so much that you are constantly fighting to keep your truck from tipping over. Another thing that seems logical and would be awesome is if the thunderstorms in the game spawned minature dust devils in the remote areas and if you drove into them they could toss your vehicle around just a bit. It looks as though the games tide and ocean system will be affected by the weather much like real life. There was a screenshot that they released a couple months back that showed a really cool image of a electrical storm over downtown Los Santos and the waves rocking the Santa Monica Pier lookalike. If wind doesn't affect driving it most certainly should affect flying aircraft. I'm excited to see how weather works in this game.

I think it would be cool if the wind did affect your driving in some way. For instance, if you are driving a big rig through a section of Blaine County along a stretch of highway that goes through an open plains area or along a mountain pass, I think that natural wind resistance should affect your driving somewhat, however not so much that you are constantly fighting to keep your truck from tipping over. Another thing that seems logical and would be awesome is if the thunderstorms in the game spawned minature dust devils in the remote areas and if you drove into them they could toss your vehicle around just a bit. It looks as though the games tide and ocean system will be affected by the weather much like real life. There was a screenshot that they released a couple months back that showed a really cool image of a electrical storm over downtown Los Santos and the waves rocking the Santa Monica Pier lookalike. If wind doesn't affect driving it most certainly should affect flying aircraft. I'm excited to see how weather works in this game.

I could only see that during a thunder storm or something. So cal really isn't known for strong winds. But dust devils would be cool as well as wild fires which has happened numerous times here. Earthquakes would have to be implemented I think.

It looks like when the sun goes down, it actually gets darker, especially in the countryside.. That will make for some fun multiplayer shootouts in the pitch black wilderness.. :clap:

842-1280.jpg

Well if that's the case i need a new TV cause i can't see shit at night in Gta4.

Nah, I think it only appears to be getting darker this go-round. IV had very few places that weren't polluted by the lights of the city. From these screens ( :fap: ), it looks like the countryside is scarcely lit. I wonder what that darkness may conceal...

It looks like when the sun goes down, it actually gets darker, especially in the countryside.. That will make for some fun multiplayer shootouts in the pitch black wilderness.. :clap:

Well at least the flashlight attachment will come in handy.

Imagine that you're online and there is pitch-black darkness and then all of a sudden a blinding light................... and you're dead.

• Like 1

I think it would be a pretty cool effect to be stuck in the wilderness at night and not be able to see a thing except stars and then you have the problem of working out which way is up.

I think it would be a pretty cool effect to be stuck in the wilderness at night and not be able to see a thing except stars and then you have the problem of working out which way is up.

low lighting should then also disable the minimap :P ( Where in gods name am i now and where the hell is my minimap :P guess ill just walk around and see where i end up just to be attacked by a random animal that you hear comming through the leaves etc WTF was that OMG....... Hospital..

• Like 1

So if you look at the bottom left post card in this picture, the place called north something, it looks a lot like snow. So I think this pretty much confirms snow in the game, I've never really noticed it on any of the mountains we have seen so far, possible winter sports mini games

post-49-0-50816100-1376738167_thumb.jpg

There was a discussion about that in another thread but for some reason took this long to get here :P North Yankton is the name I believe was talked about.

(http://www.igta5.com/forums/topic/3946-official-website-update-2013-08-13/page__st__40__p__122518__hl__yankton__fromsearch__1#entry122518)

Any chance of seasons in the game like Bully? In the trailer we saw some kind of time progression with the buildings construction.